Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Deux's Doodles :'D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deuxia Devonair

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:11 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hello! I'm Deuxia Devonair (just call me Deux, my name is waay too long) and I'd like to be a mentee in this guild.

I work with traditional media because I rarely have the time to sit down in front of a computer and start learning Adobe Photoshop from scratch (lame excuse, right?) and mostly, because I recently got a gift and started to experiment with watercolors.

I have huge problems with:
- anatomy
- poses
- males
- backgrounds
- perspective

First of all, thanks for your attention and also for any useful or advanced critiques you may have. I appreciate comments that promote learning and progress.

As I learn, I'll be also glad to share what I know.
3nodding

Thanks so much for your visit! heart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:16 pm

This is my most recent work. (as of 07/06/07)

Media used:
- watercolors
- inks
- mechanical pencil
- watercolor pencils
- white acrylic paint

Time taken:
About 6 hours.

This is a thumbnail, please click for full view!

Deuxia Devonair

Wispered

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:36 am
Hi there. It's a cute drawing and the watercolours are very pretty.
I think I'd like to see the dark lines of her eyes carried through the picture. A lot of features are getting lost, nose and lips for example. And the eyes are very overpowering with the only black and so much of it.
There are some anatomical issues (the back of her skull is too shallow), do you do any life studies? I think just some general observed drawings will help with the anatomy better than anything.
But really, it is very cute and I wish I could control water colours so well.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:07 pm
First of all, thank you for the detailed comment!

At first, I couldn't notice the mistake at the back of her head because the Bao covers part of it, but it actually makes sense. The back DOES look too narrow.

By "life studies" do you mean "looking at real people and not only photographs"?

I will definitely give the inks a try for this one... I wanted this to look smoother than usual (I normally use lots of ink) but it seems like something's missing if I only put inks at her eyes, right?

Thanks again for your advice and time! 3nodding  

Deuxia Devonair

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:49 pm
Yup, by life studies I mean real folk as well as photographs ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:14 pm
Eejbeej is a smart one when it comes to critiques and art! [just something i noticed allong the way]
i really like how you did the background there =] when ever i use watercolors they get all messled up =[
nice coloring of the hair also, the highlights are really nice!
critique wise, i agree with everything eejbeej has already said.
i am just guessing, but do you draw the hair without drawing the part of the head underneath the hair? [i based this off you saying that you didn't realized what the head looked like becuase the bao was covering it]
if you do, don't do that! it usually results in squishy heads XD
before you do any hair drawing, eye drawing mouth drawing facial features, etc., just draw the head bald.
yes bald.
and once you got the head down you can start adding the face and then the hair and the accessories.
sorry if you already do that, i just assumed after the bao comment you made sweatdrop
hope that helps, keep drawing =D  

APS-tan

Deuxia Devonair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm
Hehehe... thanks for the comment, but I already do that. I draw my girls naked/bald and then I draw the rest, but this time I don't know what happened to me! xd I think I messed up directly at the hair shape...

Do you think this would be ok?

(I used a mouse, so my strokes are not that consistent here)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:41 pm
oh i do that sometimes with my hair too, most of the times it's usually that i draw the shape of the hair cutting into the head at somepoints sweatdrop
yes that does look better =]
i think if you cut off a bit of the head/hair on the top that might make it look nicer, like this [sorry if it looks a bit sloppy, done with a mouse and paths XD] but maybe that's a personal thing because i draw hair really thin XD

i think you were right, the shape of the hair over the head was the culprit this time =]
try to make the distance from the hair on top of the head to the actual skull consistant. i.e.: right here, the hair covering the back of the head is very close and almost non-existant, while the hair at the front of the head is poofyish.
but i think it was confusing drawing this becuase of the prescence of the bao.
if there was anything confusing in there or somthing you don't get, i'll explain in more detail =]

oh yes! and i wanted to ask how in the world you used salt in this picture?
for the little white dotty things?
either way, that is quite a.... what's the word, resourceful [?] thing to do with salt =D  

APS-tan

Deuxia Devonair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:01 pm
First of all, I'm sorry for this late reply.. sweatdrop heart

I saw your screenshot and I realized you're absolutely right! gonk It looks clean, even if you did it with a mouse, I envy you! D: Now the head makes more sense to me and I see where I made the biggest mistake.

Oh, and the salt .... xD I used the salt because of this tutorial it looked so nice that I just wanted to try out! 4laugh

For the small white dots, I used white china ink and correction fluid. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:00 pm
Hello! I posted a new picture! blaugh This is now a full body and I practiced a lot! biggrin Thanks for any comments you can provide!  

Deuxia Devonair

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:32 pm
oh wow, love the vibrant colors!!!  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items