Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New to magic(k), and I haven't a clue what to look for. ^^;

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SonarP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:08 pm
D: Yep, that's right. After seeing a couple of conversations over Gaia about witchcraft and magic, I want to know what exactly I am to look for in regards to magick. I'm not exactly familiar with Penzcak...a friend of mine suggested that I read his book The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft, and I've heard of his other books...but as for figuring out which is truth and which is lies...well...is it something I have to have extensive information from anthropology?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 pm
Well, a knowledge of anthropology is always nice.

What sort of magic are you drawn to? Like, when you think of magic, casting a spell or performing a ritual, what is it like, in your mind? That will give us an idea of what sort of tradition you're looking for, and we can tell you the best places to get information on it.  

Kalyani Srijoi

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:40 pm
SonarP
D: Yep, that's right. After seeing a couple of conversations over Gaia about witchcraft and magic, I want to know what exactly I am to look for in regards to magick.
check out Crowley, specifically to find out how that particular spelling of the word came about and what its significance is.

are you interested in magic in general, or is there a specific culture you are drawn to as well? do you like the spontaneous spell idea with few tools, or more drawn out and ceremonial? do you already proscribe to a certain religious calling/theology? do you want specific structure, or a smorgasboard?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:55 pm
I'm looking for books that follow a shamanic ( neutral I'm not saying I can be a shaman) path for the most part. I'd also like to know where "mewlings" can be able to practice the basics. Does that help?  

SonarP

SonarP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:00 pm
Also, I'm looking for books more or less geared towards African culture, or Native American culture. I've got some of the books that, if I remember correctly, Nuri and/or Pelta directed me to, on a list to get wherever I can.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:05 pm
SonarP
Also, I'm looking for books more or less geared towards African culture, or Native American culture. I've got some of the books that, if I remember correctly, Nuri and/or Pelta directed me to, on a list to get wherever I can.
Which African or Native American culture?  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

SonarP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:12 pm
For Native American, I would prefer Blackfoot or Cherokee. For African, I would like any sources that can be found from the southern tip.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:55 pm
SonarP
For Native American, I would prefer Blackfoot or Cherokee. For African, I would like any sources that can be found from the southern tip.

Do you have any ties to those cultures, be they by blood, or other means?

I'm not sure how it is for African tribes, but I know (if I remember reading correctly, that is) that many Native American paths are closed or semi-closed, meaning that you, yourself, have to be integrated into the culture in order to practice that faith (i.e. by growing up within it). As an example: I have Cherokee ancestry in my family, on my mother's side (from my great-grandmother, I believe (haven't looked at the family tree in quite a while)). However, I am in no way, whatsoever, part of the Cherokee culture, or any of the subcultures therein.

Just be careful when searching for the faith that you feel you can fit into, and be extra sensitive to the fact that you might not be accepted into it because you lack the blood or culture ties.

Hope I helped in some way.  

queertastrophy

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:28 pm
Mmmm, my ancestry includes Abaneki and Seminole. My mother was part of the Abaneki tribe when she was young (long story). I have a book on West African Sprituality, although I don't know the accountablity of the authors. I have no clue from what part of Africa my family ancesters hail from. I guess I could look, but honestly, I'm not all that intrested, I've always been more intrested in our Native American heritage (though my father's brother, a black history profeser, wishes otherwise). Sence my family name is Dutch, it could be South African.....eh, maybe I will look it up xd .  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:20 am
I'm in the same boat as BlueRoseTorn. I'm not within the society, but some blood trickled its way down into my family. sweatdrop  

SonarP

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:22 pm
SonarP
I'm in the same boat as BlueRoseTorn. I'm not within the society, but some blood trickled its way down into my family. sweatdrop

Which means to actually learn what they practice and not the fluff they give the "white devil", you might want to learn what it would take to be considered a part of them. You can get adopted by the tribe and/or take a 600$ blood test.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games