Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Kukico's incomplete

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kukico

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:24 am
Hello all~
i've finally decided to make a thread here xd
(didn't know how to get start when i just joined) sweatdrop

so yes, sometimes the biggest problem i have in drawing is whenever i've just finished a piece of work, i always feels like there's something missing in the pic as a whole, but i really have no idea what it could be x_X

for example
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

this one, i like how it looked but somehow there's something still missing imo, maybe something to do with the colour or maybe the textures... i dunno X_X

i'm also really bad at backgrounds/effects/ and drawing girls...
and most of my drawings are stiff, as in pose and expressions >.>;;

--------------------------------------------
DA site: kukico.deviantart.com
Mentor: don't have one atm  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:39 am
Recent WIP

Julian and Cat

trying out another colouring style
but i think i might need to redo it again lol

----------------------------------------------------------------

[Below] an auction piece- group pic of 4 waist up character for Alexi Jameson

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

i got so very stuck on this one xD
i've coloured in all the characters for a while now, but dunno what to do with the background...
i want it to look more in action/exciting...
hmm... lol

any crits or comment are very much appreciated whee
thank you heart  

kukico

Wispered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 am
Hey there and welcome ^_^

I'd say you have a decent grasp of anatomy and such overall, though seeing as you feel you have problems drawing women and non-stiff poses I have this urge to demand a chick action pose from you with a background! Dwahahaha, but thats entirely up to you.
The one thing I want to mention that helped me a lot with understanding colours and such is to pick a completely different colour for shadows than your base. Tirael's mentor thread has an excellent explanation of this. It really helps add depth and make your work pop.

Again, Welcome ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:04 pm
The first picture is colored and drawn very well, but I think you need...more variety in your colors? For example, as Eejbeej said, use different colors for shadows, and even highlights. I feel as if his jacket is one large mass; there's nothing that stands out. Add some shadows with cool undertones, or perhaps add some yellowish highlights. The same applies to his skin and hair. You could even give the buttons a different, brighter color.
Also, although I'm not very proficient in backgrounds, it seems to me that your background, though very interesting, is rather 2D and really contrasts with the character. I suppose that could be a good thing...but I would still like to see some shading in the background: either the suggestion of building or whatnot through blurry shadows, or simply the gradual shading of the edges in, or the center out, to give it more depth.
The picture is very amazing though. I really like how you colored his hair; There's lots of texture there. I love the texture of his jacket too. You really have a good grasp on drawing and coloring.  

PinkGhost

kukico

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:37 pm
@Eejbeej - *waves* whee
a chick action pose wiv bg O.o...*thinks*
haven't thought of doing anything like this, lol
i will try it out xD
it really would be a challange tho xP
having some really cheesy poses in my head right now lol

and thanks! i will go and check out Tirael's mentor thread, thanks for letting me know ;D

@PinkGhost - yeah, i thought so... i dunno much about how to use a variety of colour and to set mood in the picture that could make it more affective, apart from the blend of warm and cold colours xp

it's kinda funny when u mention about the background, lol
i guess i just didn't think it through how i would like the whole piece look when i draw
i just had all these characters in my head, and i just drew them out not paying attention to the background, so i tend to be so stuck after painting the characters and just randomly slap something in xP

but thanks for pointing that out, i'll keep that in mind when i draw from now on ;]

may i ask for some suggestion for the background on the auction piece?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:01 am

I think you need more contrast in your colors, but dayuuuum, your very talented! o:

T o x i c` Quiddity

kukico

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:29 pm
hmm...
seriously i think i'm really bad at colours *dies* X_x
but thanks very much Toxic whee  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items