Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Redline my sketch please >w<;;

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ubica Ilya

5,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:08 pm
User Image

Some agreement for this thread >__>;;
1- I may not respond to every post immediately; usually I prefer to wait until I get a few replies before I'll make a reply to those posts at once =w=;; Sorry but I'm not quite a talkative type and prefer to take opinions and do the work than discussing sweatdrop Plus, English is not my first language so sometime it takes time for me to understand what you said (need to rely on dictionary, you know =_=;; )

2- Even if there's someone red lined my art before you, don't hesitate to make your own red line on my sketch. I like to see various ideas and that means more choices for me to adapt to what I can do. xp Yeah, I'm not that good to 'mimic' all you great artists out there, my brain is easily wrecked when I try to force it to think too much logically especially with foreshortening and perspective stuffs >__>;;

3- I'll put time frame of how long I look for opinions on each sketch. I rarely work on something longer than week because I tend to lose the 'mental image' of the piece in my head easily =w=;;

4- Be patient with me, my head is pretty slow when it comes to making improvement at art. xP

Known problems concerned working on art
-misshaped/distort anatomy due to serious inclination problem of eye sight.
-Unable to understand something complicated/logically like perspective and foreshortening.
-Stagnant anatomy and poses (have never been in any life drawing class)

Misc. Info

-Situates in South East Asia; GMT+6 in summer and GMT+7 during DST
-Uses Wacom Graphire 3 6x8 and Photoshop 7
-Has been CGing since 2003, studied English since...probably 1992 >__>;; (yet, still use wrecked grammar and punctuation *sighs*)

>>[-Intro-] / [-Sketch Board-] / [-Reserved-]<<

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:09 pm
-Open for red lining until March 23rd-
User Image
This is supposed to be a waist up pic but I sketch the legs too to see how the anatomy would 'flow'. In the final version I shall cut it at about the hips. List of things I need help with :
-Overall pose and anatomy
-Hands; I kinda unable to decide how to draw the hand that will be holding the quarter staff on the far end (his right). I wonder between the hand with the back of the hand showing (folded fingers are under) or the hand with the turned up palm (seeing fingers fold to encircle the quarter staff), which is more natural and make the muscles less strain?
-Other things you might want to add.

>>[-Intro-] / [-Sketch Board-] / [-Reserved-]<<

Ubica Ilya

5,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ubica Ilya

5,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:11 pm
Reserved  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 pm
Hi DeZarin
I haven't a tablet yet, so any attempt by me to redline would probably be more confusing than help, so I'll give a purely verbal crit with the hopes that that will be of some help.
I think right now the neck is too wide, the back should be bumped toward the jawline and the front edged in away from the chin. Each only needs a slight movement.
The face and hair are well done, I love his mouth.
The far buttcheek needs a bit more of a curve to it and I'd suggest defining the elbow more on the far arm.
Otherwise things seem to be going well. Hopefully someone can do a drawover for you and catch anything I might have missed. Can't wait to see this finished.  

Wispered

Ubica Ilya

5,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:28 pm
Eejbeej << I see what you mean about the the neck under the chin 3nodding I shall fix that though I'm not too sure about the back of the neck part since in the reference photos I saw, there seems to be some space between the back of the neck and the jawline about the same as how I drew. confused

As for the elbow, I'll define the it once I can make a decide of how to draw the hand sweatdrop I try to observe myself and it seems that the elbow will move like 90 degrees or so if I shift the hand thus I think I better wait to see which position the hand will be in first. 3nodding And for the butt cheek I'll definitely fix that 3nodding Thank you for pointing out, I've not drawn a pose from backview for a very long time. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:41 am
I'm at work and can't redline either.
I notice that his back is very flat in comparison to the head and neck. I would suggest using some real life reference of a man's back to you can see the volume of the different bones and muscles. Even a thin man will have volume to the back. (I have this same problem.) I usually get past it by using basic shapes in perspective to force myself to fill the figure out some.
I also notice that his shoulders are rather close together for a male with a head that size. Lately, when I do that plotting I mentioned earlier, I use one point perspective (well, I kind of half a** it, but I do it.) To see how far apart the shoulders will look at different angles. I think that's what pretty much flattens everything under the neck and throws it all off.

Also, something that flattens it a lot is that the face and hair are detailed before anything else. Those are finer details that I feel should be blocked at this stage, but not refined. I find that if your face and hair are done before the hands/feet, and/or clothing, then you're getting ahead of yourself and you'll have areas of focus where things will look nice, then then other neglected parts will drag the drawing down.

I recently posted some really great tips from Imagine FX magazine in the Tutorials/Resources thread. Check them out. I'm sure you'll find them helpful. One of them covers just what I mean by my last paragraph.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Ubica Ilya

5,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:24 am
Okie, finished that sketch. I tried what I can to fix, thus moved the inner side of neck and the widened the shoulder a bit. I didn't find any good reference for the back though so I didn't dare to make any chance because chances are I'd mess it even worse sweatdrop

User Image  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff