Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
*~Mari's Art~* (updated April 18th, first post)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marissael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:49 pm
*~マリーちゃんのきれいな線画~*

So I finally decide to actually make a art progress thread thingee. ><

And even though I've made it, I've really nothing to post as of yet. Well... that's kind of a lie. I am actually in progress of lineart on a picture, but the lineart is far from finished (new job and I've just been busy though I do work on it here and there, plus I'm not used to doing clean lineart on the computer). Maybe I'll post that as well as some of my past endeavors. But you all have to promise not to laugh. =P

Anyway, here goes....

Name: Marissael (take away the 'el' and you get my real name, of course.)

Nicknames: Mari, Mari-chan, that quiet girl (sideways glance included)

Art style: anime/realistic
Realistic, or at least close to it, in the last two pics I posted online. I want to get back to my anime though, I'm more comfortable with it despite being proud of myself for my endeavors.

Problem areas: backgrounds of any sort, some anatomy I think, light sources, and sometimes colouring because of me colouring on my laptop. Things come out darker than I see them due to the angle of my screen. I'm working on that though.

Artists I admire: Technoelfie, Enayla, Michelle84, Nomura Tetsuya, and Fujishima Kosuke.

Out of all of those, Fujishima-san has had the biggest influence on my anime style, so if you look at my stuff and think, "Gosh, this girl/guy/whatever looks an awful lot like Oh My Goddess," now you know why, kind of. ^_^;

Current wip:

User Image

It's my avatar. Officially scrapped as of April 18th because it wasn't going as planned. I'm wanting to start something else currently, but have no idea what.

Other than that, feel free to comment. I'm gonna pretty my l'il area up at some point so it won't be so bland.

警告、警告!: I have been away for the last week or so due to internet malfunctions; hopefully I won't be booted from this group for inactivity. Sometimes I'm just.... dead. >< But anyway, I'm back now. An update on the picture above... I haven't actually finished it, it's been scrapped because it wasn't going... well. Though the final lineart of the figure came out pretty well, I think.

Oh yeah, and updated a little for aesthetic purposes. =D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:50 pm
*reserved*  

Marissael

Marissael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:51 pm
*reserved*  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:37 pm
Hello Marissa ^_^

I think you're certainly on the right track. One thing I'd like to see more in your work is a varying of lineweights. It'll bring more interest into your already quite good work and I think you'd benefit a lot from it.  

Wispered

Marissael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:57 pm
Ah, thank you Eejbeej. ^^

Could you explain a bit more about lineweights? Or maybe not that, I mean, basically, do you mean having some lines thicker in some places in the picture, as opposed to just all thin lines? If that's the case, I'm not really sure where I'd apply that because I can't seem to get my brain around it. The mental pictures I'm having show heavier lines in some spots that still makes me feel like I need to erase to cut that down. Maybe I just don't understand lineweights. ><  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:30 am
There are two basic rules for making lines thicker, the closer objects tend to be thicker than the ones further back and the side away from the light will have thicker lines.
There are little things some folk use, like thicker lines on overlap and stuff, but lineweights and inking are as much a style thing as any part of a drawing. Check out the the book Inking for Comics (I think thats what its called) Or even just look at comic books, they're great examples of what I'm talking about.  

Wispered

Marissael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:35 pm
Ah okay, thanks. That helps. =D  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out