Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Magick or Magic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you use?
  Magick; because its supposed to be spelt that way for real magick
  Magick: for personal reasons (ie ecclectic traditions, your own tradition etc)
  Magick:because it looks cooler
  Magic: because I can't be bothered to keep changing for my own writing and for English papers
  Magic: because that's how it is spelt, see nearest dictionary
View Results

wikkedpixie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:20 pm
I think that it is rather ridiculous to put the k on the end actually. But, I am sure there are others who will disagree with me on that point however. I just keep asking myself if it really makes a difference. It's all the same isn't it? stressed  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:06 pm
wikkedpixie
I think that it is rather ridiculous to put the k on the end actually. But, I am sure there are others who will disagree with me on that point however. I just keep asking myself if it really makes a difference. It's all the same isn't it? stressed

Not if you're using Crowley's numerical system for letters. *shrugs*  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:33 pm
Deoridhe
Starlock
I usually spell it how it is listed in the general dictionaries of the English language (that is, without the K) but I also don't have any qualms about those who do use the alternate spelling. If I ever end up writing for a website or something I'll probably somewhere in it use the alternate spelling somewhere for the article's search tags at least. Google 'magic' and the first thing you get is usually that blasted card game. Google 'magick' and you actually get what you're looking for.

Not necessarily. One of the forms of magic I practice isn't particularly neo-pagan.

One of the pet peeves I have with magic, especially in a pagan context, is how people use it without specifics. I had someone comment that so and so was learning "Norse magick" and I never got a straight answer out of them of what the Hel that was.

Honestly, when people think of magic, what do they think of?

Damned good point, and I agree that it does cause more than a few conundrums. The definition of what 'magic' is can be just about as amorphous as the definition of 'religion' or 'faith,' maybe even moreso. In the modern Pagan or occult context the meanings are a little bit more straightforward (the Crowlean definition seems to be the largest common denominator here) but even then, there's a definite need for more precise communication concerning magic.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:57 pm
The numerology logic is news to me. The only explanations I'd encountered for the extra 'k' had to do with differentiating "real magic" from "stage magic". Personally, I thought this was just a way to make it more "special". XP Frankly, I think that's the reason a lot of people use it. I don't know how prevalent the knowledge of the numerological significance is, and while the addition of the 'k' can have some practical application, most people I've known don't seem to be driven by practicality. XP No offense meant to those of you who do use it for practicality or just because you like it. It just sets off "fluff" alarms in my head for some reason.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:26 am
Starlock
Deoridhe
Honestly, when people think of magic, what do they think of?

Damned good point, and I agree that it does cause more than a few conundrums.

Try taking an anthropology course. I was all of 18, fluffy to my core, half my magic training out of fiction novels, encountering an actual analysis of magic in a cross cultural framework for the first time.

Hint: Candles? Not so common. They fall under a type of magic, but they're really ******** modern. I personally think they're an offshoot of the candle use in CM, but I've not tracked their teaching history, so I could be wrong.

mute_coyote
The numerology logic is news to me. The only explanations I'd encountered for the extra 'k' had to do with differentiating "real magic" from "stage magic".

So far as I know, it showed up first in the late 1800s/early 1900s during the whole "Secret Society" upswing and was Crowley's schtick. A lot of the differences between Wicca and neo-paganism can be viewed as cultural differences between the late 1800 spiritualism movement and the reinterpretation of that movement in an Indian context in the 1960s.

mute_coyote
Frankly, I think that's the reason a lot of people use it.

If by "a lot of people" you mean "ill educated teenagers," then yes. I found out about the numerological think in HS when I did my research on Crowley and was thoroughly freaked out by him, thus subsequently avoided anything which stank of him.

mute_coyote
I don't know how prevalent the knowledge of the numerological significance is, and while the addition of the 'k' can have some practical application, most people I've known don't seem to be driven by practicality. XP No offense meant to those of you who do use it for practicality or just because you like it. It just sets off "fluff" alarms in my head for some reason.

You might want to downgrade it on your fluff meter. A Ceremonial Magician has good reason to use it, seeing as numerology is so basically important in CM. Someone who uses it and says, "Crowley who?", though, is certainly a fluffy.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:42 am
Kuroiban
Fiddlers Green
Kuroiban, that is quite funny...
and if you look at the game, who really practices Maho?
Desperate peasants, and snivelly surpluss nobles.
I mean, Iuchiban, Shahai, and Daiagotsu are the poster children for the angst club. xd

Seriously tho, Rokugani culture has some similarities to Japan, but there are very direct areas where they are at odds...
They try at Shinto and Buddhism but it gets odd along the way...

Also, keep in mind, they are Maho Tsukai, Servants/Slaves of Magic. ninja

Gepephofhdj!

YOU KNEW WHAT THE HELL I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!! eek

No one every knows about L5R...ever.

And Daigotsu is the first Shadowlands guy I didn't think sucked-a**...

Is that where Clan Scorpion and Clan Wasp came from? Before D&D3E took them over of course.

I once played Clan Scorpion and the DM who was also playing the Emporer or whatever he is called made a deal with me to get him to the Shadowlands and I could have free passage to wherever I pleased without getting attacked. Notice I said to the Shadowlands, not through them.  

jaden kendam

wikkedpixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:18 pm
Deoridhe
wikkedpixie

Not if you're using Crowley's numerical system for letters. *shrugs*

Oh.... well I don't actualy understand what that is yet/.. kinda new to all this  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:50 pm
Deoridhe

mute_coyote
Frankly, I think that's the reason a lot of people use it.

If by "a lot of people" you mean "ill educated teenagers," then yes.

Yes, those are the people I mean. xp

Deoridhe

mute_coyote
I don't know how prevalent the knowledge of the numerological significance is, and while the addition of the 'k' can have some practical application, most people I've known don't seem to be driven by practicality. XP No offense meant to those of you who do use it for practicality or just because you like it. It just sets off "fluff" alarms in my head for some reason.

You might want to downgrade it on your fluff meter. A Ceremonial Magician has good reason to use it, seeing as numerology is so basically important in CM. Someone who uses it and says, "Crowley who?", though, is certainly a fluffy.

Good to know!  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers