Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Hardware Concerns (FP editted)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:42 am
I was planning to buy a Wacom. Unfortunately, my supplier has none available. Instead, he suggests a Genius.

Now, I have heard only of wacom and has no idea if genius is any good. I have very little knowledge on hardware; thus, I need your thoughts. Hopefully, one of you guys out there is using it.

Edit: I need Online Store Recommendations. One that's willing to ship to the Philippines. One that's Safe, has good quality items, and reasonable prices.

Thanks in advance! wink  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 am
dunno about genius man... the only ones I've seen with good reviews (if any) were the huge a** ones that are like $140... depends o how much you've got on your budget I suppose..  

beddyteddy2

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:21 pm
I got mine at a discount from www.journeyed.com  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:23 pm
so...... is it any good?  

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:28 pm
I have no idea about genius... but could you maybe get a wacom from another supplier? Or online?

Try searching some online reviews? I'm sorry I can't be more help :F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:32 pm
T i r a e l
I have no idea about genius... but could you maybe get a wacom from another supplier? Or online?

Try searching some online reviews? I'm sorry I can't be more help :F

It's okay! blaugh It's very limited here in the Philippines. Probably 80% of us don't know tablets exist; so retailers don't really sell em.

Haliya
dunno about genius man... the only ones I've seen with good reviews (if any) were the huge a** ones that are like $140... depends o how much you've got on your budget I suppose..

I'm offered 1,800 pesos that's around $36. It's a 5.5 x 4 cordless tablet.(or was it... damn forgot... but around that...) Any thoughts? Seems to be the biggest around here. stare I'm thinking it would be a good start for me, but I'm having doubts if it would last long or if it performs well enough.

There's still lots of time before I buy it. Encourage or Discourage me as best you could.
whee  

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

zynii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:53 pm
Ah. Another Fillipino Artist.

I did a search on them. They seem like a good start.
You can always order another once you feel the need to ungrade.

1800 Peso's is a pretty good deal.

You can find someone that's willing to ship INT to the islands on Ebay.

But after some more research, your Genius brand tablet is the same cost as Shipping.

And working out the math, you can buy 3 -4 tablets by the offer price.

And that's buying a Wacom at the same size.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:56 pm
zynii
Ah. Another Fillipino Artist.

I did a search on them. They seem like a good start.
You can always order another once you feel the need to ungrade.

1800 Peso's is a pretty good deal.

You can find someone that's willing to ship INT to the islands on Ebay.

But after some more research, your Genius brand tablet is the same cost as Shipping.

And working out the math, you can buy 3 -4 tablets by the offer price.

And that's buying a Wacom at the same size.

That's very encouraging. Thanks!  

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:59 pm
Any more thoughts from anyone? (Translates: I still wanna chat! xd )  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 am

You could always buy online, Im pretty much positive that all online sellers are willing to ship outside of the U.S.
And as far as brands go, do what you can to get a wacom, they are the best no matter how you look at it
(:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

T o x i c` Quiddity

Ubica Ilya

5,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:44 am
What I have heard from a friend and other people who used genius, not quite a positive feedback. sweatdrop My friend told once that she got a small electric shock while using it, the others said something about short usage, some said their tablet started acting up (the lines that appear on the screen shakes uncontrollably) or completely died after using for only 2 months >__>;;

But then again, it seems the quality of this brand is pretty random. I know another friend who used a genius tablet for 3 years before it eventually became dead last year. Overall, from what I concluded, looks like the usual usage duration of genius is about a year. Therefore I think it's up to you, if you want to just 'test' and don't really think about doing digital art seriously then I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. However, if you plan to fully focus on digital art, then I suggest wacom because it's probably the most durable model available. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:06 pm
DeZarin
What I have heard from a friend and other people who used genius, not quite a positive feedback. sweatdrop My friend told once that she got a small electric shock while using it, the others said something about short usage, some said their tablet started acting up (the lines that appear on the screen shakes uncontrollably) or completely died after using for only 2 months >__>;;

But then again, it seems the quality of this brand is pretty random. I know another friend who used a genius tablet for 3 years before it eventually became dead last year. Overall, from what I concluded, looks like the usual usage duration of genius is about a year. Therefore I think it's up to you, if you want to just 'test' and don't really think about doing digital art seriously then I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. However, if you plan to fully focus on digital art, then I suggest wacom because it's probably the most durable model available. 3nodding

Hmm... That's a problem... Coz I'm pretty serious.. It's good that you pointed that out. If I really WILL end up buying it though, (coz I can't wait to draw) I'll make sure I'm well grounded. xd What happened to your friends may be because they were barefoot when they used it same as when you touch the back side of your CPU. I'll have to expect that it won't last long too. There's a one year warranty to it so maybe, by that time, I may have saved enough for a wacom.

On another note....

T o x i c` Quiddity

You could always buy online, Im pretty much positive that all online sellers are willing to ship outside of the U.S.
And as far as brands go, do what you can to get a wacom, they are the best no matter how you look at it
(:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Buying Online is very Hard here in the Philippines... er... Okay, maybe not the Philippines but for me. sweatdrop For the record though, If I am to buy online, I would appreciate it if you give me a site that's safe, has good quality items, and has reasonable prices.  

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

x C H U

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:36 am

Nakabili ako sa SM megamall ng Wacom graphire 4 for 9000 pesos, at first wala akong mahanap pero meron sa part ng SM na wala masyadong tao.

Don't buy 5.5 x 4, I think that'd be too small, and yan ata ung pang signature lang. Maganda nug Wacom kasi may mga free sowtfare na kasama tyaka kahit ilang bagsak ko na hindi pa rin siya nasisira. XD

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games