Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
The Fountain

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

omnimodus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:48 pm
I'm not even half way through this movie yet, as I had to pause it to get some sleep.
This movie presented an interesting theory and possible theological debate.
From what I gather so far (I might be wrong) is that in the garden of Eden, there were apparently two trees. The tree of life and the tree of knowledge. We all know the forbidden fruit story of the second tree. The Fountain seems to be trying to either take a guess at ...or have actually researched ...the story of the first tree. It says that like the second tree, the tree of life had something tempting to take as well. That being its sap. If you drunk the sap of the first tree, it would give you eternal life. When the Garden was closed, it's said that the tree of life was hidden by the Lord.
In The Fountain, the tree is found.
Eternal life is not going up to heaven, but staying forever in your fleshly body (at least from what I gather of the movie so far)
Wikipedia wasn't much help. Wiki Entry
If any of you have seen The Fountain, please feel free to correct me on anything.

Discuss:
Do you take the Bible's stories literally, or do you think they're just tales to promote spiritual goodness?

Do you believe the tree of life still exists? Is this just something completely made up by the makers of The Fountain?

If you answered yes to the first part of the last question, do you think the tree is something that can be found?

Would staying forever in your present body be a blessing, or a curse?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 pm
I've started re-reading my Bible (since I finished the whole thing in December) and I highlighted the part about the two trees, since that is a detail alot of people overlook. I think the reason God specifically commanded Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil was because if he did (and Eve did too) then he would want to eat of the other as well.

I like to take the creation story literally, because it makes alot of sense for the differences in men and women today, but I'm not sure exactly where that fits in with evolution, since I could go either way on that theory. I don't think the tree exists. I don't think Eden still exists. Eden is in the modern day Middle East (I wanna say Iran confused ) and I'm fairly certain no one has ever discovered an abundant garden there.

As for staying in my earthly body forever? Curse. I like it, but not that much. It's very limiting if you ask me. 3nodding

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

genioos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 pm
I just bought that movie and it's on its way to me now biggrin

Yes, I believe the Garden of Eden is somewhere in the Middle East, but when Adam and Eve fell, God locked up Eden, forbidding man to ever enter it again. Curious how we can't really find the physical location of Eden~ it makes me wonder if it has been destroyed, or maybe it IS there, but in the spiritual realm where we can't find it now...?

/ponder

I take the Creation literally, as well as anything in the Bible. and, we're given new "bodies" when we die. The one I have now is a temporary vessel~ it is my sanctuary here on earth and I must respect it, but it's not perfect. Heaven is the embodiment of perfection and I can't be walkin in there with saddlebags ;P  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games