Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
||| |||||| |||||||| |||||||||||||||||||| PIMP ME UP ||| ||

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

J o u b i l e e

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:46 am
..::.:.: razz IMP ME UP::.:.::..

Yo! This is the thread to pimp Ch0.
Um, yes, so before I make your eyes bleed with whatever art I will show all of for awesome pimpin’ skillz, here’s a little about me:
(Copied and pasted from the Introductory thread, because I’m lazy like that.)

Quote:
And so... I will present myself.

I'm Ch0pstiicks. Duh. As if it weren't glaring obvious.
You can call me Ch0, or Chopie tho.
My real name however, is totally unrelated. It's Julie Meng. Julie is the name I 'adopted' when I came to Canada. Meng is my Chinese name. Means 'dream'.
Mmmm...I started doodling since age 4 or so, and never really stopped, although school keeps me from that nowadays. I'm 17 btw.
I've gotten from stick figures, to imcomprehensible doodles, to Sailor Moon, to Clamp, to Korean Manhwa Style and HTK/Witchblade fandom. Recently, I've started developing my own style, as well as trying to master reaslism, and the lovely AN style.
I'm currently enrolled in CEGEP, it's like college, but only Quebec has that. I'm in a heath science program, on my way, hopefully, to become a doctor. Although my procastinative ways might be a trouble I'd have to deal with.
Other then that...I draw mostly with Traditional Medium; watercolors, watersoluble pens and Prismas I've only done three complete CGs up to date. I dont have the patience I guess to CG with a mouse. It's really a pain, although the results can be worthwhile.
That's pretty much it.!

Ch0.

Btw, I swear the bannerless ugliness of the thread is only temporary. The thread itself will be pimped in due time. Pinky swear.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:49 am
::.::..PIMPIN’ NEEDED..::.::

Here are some things I noticeably have to improve. Basically, these are my main weak points.

Colors…and all that Jazz

arrow Color Composition: I want top be able to make my art pop out more. Daring colors scare me and I have trouble using them. Otherwise, I have also some difficulty choosing suitable colors that complement each other although I am aware of how color charts function and so. You’ll often find me asking myself questions like “This tone of pink or purple with gold? Or will a deep blue go better?” A real pain in the a** I say!
arrow Lighting/Shadwing: And so, I try and try but my lighting/shadowing is just not consistent…and quite fake. And, I invent most of the folds I draw. Yah. Ahem. So if you would just please ‘nicely’ point out where my shadows and lights are doing default, it would be very much appreciated!
Texture: I just don’t know how to create texture with colors and proper shadowing, especially CGwise. It makes my art look a little plain and flat. Bohoo, serious work to be done in this area.
More?

Basics…and all that Jazz

arrow Anatomy: Yes, my characters atanomy isn’t perfect, far from it. I do tend to draw mostly in a cross Manhwa/AN style. (One side wins over here and there, depending on what I intends to draw) So my character’s anatomy doesn’t have to be too rigorous…yet, some proportions must be respected and sometimes, most of the time, it’s the lower body that has some anatomy issue top be cured off.
arrow Dynamics: I’ve told here and there that my characters are a little too stiff. My drawings need a greater flow, more dynamics! More energy! Wohoooo!
More?

That’s all I can think of now, surely there is more…but that will keep us all busy for now.

J o u b i l e e

J o u b i l e e

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:51 am
...:.::THE ART OF PIMPIN’::.:...

My tools of trade:
Watson Guptill watercolors (8ish)*
Staedler water soluble pencils (12)
Primacolor double point markers (30ish)
Crayola/Prismacolor coloring pencils (x oo)
Brandless gouache (24)
MS Paint
Adobe Creative Suite CS2
(Including Psp and Illustrator)

*Numbers in brackets are the amount of colors I have
///Yes, I’m cheap. |Emotear|

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:57 am
:.::.:THE PIMPED:.::.:

I can’t draw much, although I’d love to have more free time to draw more. But, R/L calls out more. (IE, studying health science as a prospect med-school applient is a real time and energy killer and my parents are not that okay with me wasting my time away doodling) Netherless, I’ll try to keep this place updated with new arts and other shitzorz. And much love too.

So here are the current artworks I’d like to receive some comments on.
Also, before you proceed to do so, you many want to read the following link, by the great Jisuk: http://jisuk.deviantart.com/journal/8302532/

Traditional Media:
User Image

Digital Media:
User Image

More to come...soon.
Btw, you may also find me on DA @ http://ch0pstiicks.deviantart.com/

J o u b i l e e

J o u b i l e e

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:59 am
:..:.::FOR MORE PIMP::.:..:

-Reserved for future usage-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:00 pm
-Cut ribbon-
K, my crappoholic thread is open now!!! heart

J o u b i l e e

Wispered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 pm
Hello ^_^
I really like the second one. And overall I think you have a pretty good grasp of the basics, anatomy and colour and all that.
I did notice their heads are quite big compared to their bodies, but that may be a style thing.
watch your cropping though. Cropping right at the knees is a bit awkward, and cropping slivers off (like on the arms on the first one) shuld be avoided. The space around your subject matters just as much as your subject does. If you run out of space in traditional media, just tape another sheet on and finish it off. You can trace the whole thing onto a new, larger sheet and voila!
Digital media is much easier to add space to.

But really, you're doing well. Hope to see more ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:49 am
Eejbeej
Hello ^_^
I really like the second one. And overall I think you have a pretty good grasp of the basics, anatomy and colour and all that.
I did notice their heads are quite big compared to their bodies, but that may be a style thing.
watch your cropping though. Cropping right at the knees is a bit awkward, and cropping slivers off (like on the arms on the first one) shuld be avoided. The space around your subject matters just as much as your subject does. If you run out of space in traditional media, just tape another sheet on and finish it off. You can trace the whole thing onto a new, larger sheet and voila!
Digital media is much easier to add space to.

But really, you're doing well. Hope to see more ^_^

Thanks you!
I guess the heads are a bit big...for their necks. *Will watch out for that in the future*
Haha, you guessed it right, I ran out of paper sapce for both drawings. I try out tape next time. And I have no clue how to crop nicely. That's why I dont do photography... sweatdrop
Um, it's hard for me to add lines when I CG tho, because I usely color scan lines. It's incredible hard for me to do lines on Photoshop, as I color with a mouse only and doing lineart with mouse is a real pain.
Thank you so much for your feedback!
Cho. <3

J o u b i l e e

n i k i e h l

4,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:05 am
Hi Ch0pStiicks!!!
Really nice art, I dig it xD
I like both of your styles too. heart

Your traditional media coloring is bright, enough, not like completely saturated. But I guess you can try a lighter contrast, for experimental uses I guess. blaugh

And I agree with Eejbeej on your anatomy and color basics, better than myself at least xD 4laugh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 am
K r e e
Hi Ch0pStiicks!!!
Really nice art, I dig it xD
I like both of your styles too. heart

Your traditional media coloring is bright, enough, not like completely saturated. But I guess you can try a lighter contrast, for experimental uses I guess. blaugh

And I agree with Eejbeej on your anatomy and color basics, better than myself at least xD 4laugh
Hey hey!
Thank you!

So you think I should tone down abit the colors with my marker art? Ummm, I guess I'll try that!

And haha, every drawing is an experiment to me.
Nice to meet you! And thank you for your feedback!!!
Ch0. <3

J o u b i l e e

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces