Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
PinkGhost == Constant WIPs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:04 pm
Hmm...so I decided to create a mentee thread. Yay, I can improve my WIPs! ^w^

Sadly, I rarely ever finish my drawings, but I am working to reform that! ToT

Current WIP:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's a FFVII request from one of my classmates: Tifa, a Chocobo, and Cloud ((from left to right)). Currently it's just a very rough sketch.

Things I need help on for this piece:
>> The Chocobo: Are the proportions correct?
>> Cloud's hair: Does it look right? Does it need to be bigger?
>> Cloud's pants: I just hate them. Ugh. Any suggestions?
>> Cloud's muscles: I'm not that good with muscles in general.
>> Cloud's armour: IfWhen I finish this, how should the shine on the armour look?
>> Cloud's sword: Where should it go? ToT
>> Tifa's breasts: They're kinda hard to draw squished together by her suspenders.
>> Anything you think I should change...

Notes about this piece:
>> References for costumes, etc, here, here, and here.
>> Some things might be off, especially around Cloud's body, because of my extremely different style from the references ((Where the torso's are head-sized...x__X)). If you think they'll help improve me, please tell me. :]
>> Remember, this is a rough sketch. Some things are not done...
>> I made it blue because while both blue and black made it easier to see, black looked too...sharp? harsh? eh.
>> Sorry about cutting off their feet. x__X
>> You don't have to address everything here....^ ^;; I got carried away.

Oh yeah...I scan my picture straight from my sketchbook, but that always creates a shadow on the left side of the picture. Does anyone know how to get rid of that?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:30 am
Hello PinkGhost ^_^
I'm loving the faces on this, all three, there's a life to them.
One thing I noticed is that Cloud's skull seems a bit too narrow, I think the back of his head needs to be slightly larger. Like a milimeter out from where it is.
My only other major concern is the cropping. You already mentioned the feet, did they just not fit in the scanner? The right side is a really awkward crop too. I had someone tell me once that if you find yourself out of paper, tape another sheet on and finished the drawing. When you ink you can trace it onto a new, larger sheet or get rid of the line digitally.  

Wispered

Ginneko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:36 am
>> The Chocobo: Are the proportions correct? - The Chocobo looks really good. The only thing that looks a little bit off, are the legs. They seem just a little bit awkward, but that just may be because it's a wip.
>> Cloud's hair: Does it look right? Does it need to be bigger?- The shape of his hair looks good. You could try making it a bit "softer", so that it actually looks like hair, rather then cut out pieces of paper. But it looks like Cloud's gravity-defying hair either way 3nodding
>> Cloud's pants: I just hate them. Ugh. Any suggestions? - Poofy pants like that can always be a pain (for me too). The top half looks really good. Near his knees and below it get's a little fuzzy of what's going on. Thinking back (with no ref.), I think Cloud had his pants tucked into his boots, so they bunched up a lot.
>> Cloud's muscles: I'm not that good with muscles in general. - You don't really need to do a whole lot with muscles. The simple shape of the arms like you have works well.
>> Cloud's armour: IfWhen I finish this, how should the shine on the armour look? - The shine itself should come from the general direction of your lightsource. It should be a really dull sort of shine too. Cloud's armor is worn and scratched. My suggestion is to color in the shadows, midtones and highlights like normal, then just add a sutble low shine too it.
>> Cloud's sword: Where should it go? ToT -I'd say have it strapped to his back. I believe that's how he normally carries it.
>> Tifa's breasts: They're kinda hard to draw squished together by her suspenders. - I'm not really seeing anything wrong with them. sweatdrop

Oh, and with the shadow on the edge, I get that too sometimes. It comes from the round edge of the sketchbook. I have 2 suggestions which you can do.
1. Tear the sketch out of the sketchbook sweatdrop But I can understand if you don't want to do that.
2. When scanning, try to get the picture as flat as possible. I usually hold down the cover of my scanner while it's scanning, so that way the sketchbook is pressed down flat onto the scanner bed.

Hope that was of some help! Keep up the awesome work, and keep posting the progress of this! I can't wait to see the fin. !  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:11 pm
@Eejbeej: Hmm...I see where you're going with his skull. I'll fix that. :3

As for the cropping, yes, the right side didn't fit apparently...I'll try to adjust that when I scan a more complete version of this (hopefully....).
As for the feet...I ran out of paper. >__< *bad PinkGhost, not planning properly...* But I will try taping on another sheet of paper. Thanks!

@Ginneko: Thanks for all your responses! I'll try softening Cloud's hair...xD and I'll add details and bunching to his pants too.
o__o Thanks for telling me about his armour too. I would've made it very shiny...Glad I didn't.
xD About Tifa's breasts, in the reference pictures, they're huge, and thus, you can barely see the suspenders. I didn't want her breasts to be that big...but I think I made them look better on the original, which I altered a little today.

sweatdrop Yeah..I don't like tearing my pictures out. Especially since this one doesn't have perforated edges for some reason...:/
But I will definitely try holding the cover down. ^w^ Thanks for your advice!  

PinkGhost

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff