Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
[-llama-]s pictures [Updated]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Das Portemonnaie

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:01 pm
Well, I'll post my most recent/main pictures. xD
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

More: OC commission
Masquerade
Masquerade Colored
Spartan attack
Crotch attack!

My most recent was the Crotch attack xD.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:42 pm
Hi llama ^_^
I have to say I quite enjoy your style. You seem to have a good grasp of anatomy and such.
One think I've noticed though is a complete lack of any serious background. And very few objects. I think, as a challenge to you to step out of what appears to be your comfort zone, try a few with the characters interacting with their surroundings. Not even necessarily a complete background, but throw in a chair or a tree or whatever. Something to hint that they are indeed somewhere.
Can't wait to see more from you.  

Wispered

Das Portemonnaie

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:02 am
I'm just too lazy. xD
I mean...bad attitude. I'll try. I have made some scenery a while ago.
Lemme see if I can go find it...
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47531747/?qo=22&q=by:nattler&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Commenting on bee picture...
I love this concept! It's so cute!
I'll try to avoid stylistic issues...
Her right side (our left) of her neck should be more vertical...
Although I realize it's part of the style of this picture, as well as the character design of the bees, I would like the see some individual strands of the hair, like in your other pictures.
Also, their ankles should be thinner...the lower thigh should be thicker in the top half, and then taper down toward the feet.
I really like the cleanliness of this, as well as the gorgeous cross-hatching and the hands. *stares at the cross-hatching*

Other brief suggestions...
I love how you colored in Queen of Hearts. where it looks almost a painting. However, I think you should break up the rather unnatural vertical lines on her thighs...perhaps smudge it just a tad? Or layer on more colors to smooth it a little?

The third picture is so cute. ^w^ The only I can suggest is to make the bed...(ground?) less...scribbly. :3

The last thing I will suggest is to color the skin with more colors, such as more pink for the cheeks, as well as blues or greens for the shadows, depending on where the person is.

Great artwork!  

PinkGhost

Das Portemonnaie

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:08 am
Thank you. :3
I realise the Queen of Hearts has a few problems, it's currently the oldest picture up there, but I've gotten a bit better at the Marvel style, and now with a tablet I hope I can color such pictures better.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 pm
Updated  

Das Portemonnaie

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500

Lucimorth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 am
You gotta watch the arm that she has on her hip, the elbow part looks wrong. I think it is not that it's totaly wrong, just that it's bending position does not go with the hand. Try to stand that way yourself and look in the mirror.

The right eye [her right] is smaller then the left. I would suggest not to use such cool colors in shading the face, aspecialy under the nose and on the forehead. Try using more transitional colors. You could also show some more shading on the cloth and folds, and an overal volume of the body. According to the face, the light is coming from her right, but on her breast, that side seems to be shaded, you could try pay more attention to those things, it is the next step smile

Very nice drawing overall!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:25 pm
Okay. o__o
I'll definately work on all of that...

Oh, and updated! 8D  

Das Portemonnaie

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500

Lucimorth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:18 pm
User Image

The torso is somewhat too short I think. I would suggest that when you draw a figure, measure the proportions for it. For example, usualy from the tip of the head and down to the where the belt would be it is about 3 heads, and then there are 4 more head in the rest of the body. Also, her neck was a little short. You could also measure the head and see how many times it fits in the shoulders, the average is 2, so it should be something like that.

It might have been an intentional stylistic approach, but if not I corrected some it [as far as I can tell]. I hope you find it useful. Pretty much the body was very bulky and squished.

Overall though, the anatomy was not too bad, the basic shapes and structures were all there, so it is good smile

i hope this helps

Edit: I also pulled the breasts a bit down....they were too high i think, the structure of the muscle and the breast tissue did not really fit in to the position where it was in your drawing.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:11 am
I wasn't going for correct anatomy in that one. 3nodding
It was just practice of the Marvel style. x3  

Das Portemonnaie

Original Borg

11,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500

Das Portemonnaie

Original Borg

11,300 Points