Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
[ Nel's Sketchbook ] ~ヽ( ̄▽ ̄)/~ updated: 10/3'07

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:13 am

User Image

Welcome everyone XD I need lots of help with my art~
Feel free to be as harsh & detailed all you want, but contructive, of course <3

______________________MY GALLERY

Deviant Art | Sketch Blog (that has a lot of crap in it 8D)

______________________THING I'M WORKING ON

- Facial expressions
- Dynamic poses
- Perspective
- Backgrounds
- Composition
- Concepts
- Hands and Feet
- Lighting
- Cloth folds & wrinkles
- Animals
- Traditional tools
- and a countless number of things....(* ̄▽ ̄*)

______________________CRITIQUES PLEASE?

1st draft: http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k263/nelesia/fly.jpg

2nd draft: http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k263/nelesia/flyp.jpg

Finish>>>
-click for full view-
User Image

Well, I said finished, but please comment on it still. Anything I should work on... o3o

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:16 am
Reserved ?

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

aliira

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:34 pm
Nelesia

I wanted to make both of her hands and feet kinda parallel to each other. But I asked some friends and they said it might look weird. o3o
I'm thinking about making her right hand reaching up, and her right leg kicking higher than the first one....still don't really like it. I dunno. Any idea?

i think that it would look kinda weird parallel

maybe you could have the other arm bent at the elbow and disappear behing her her? i think the other leg would look ok kicking higher

idk, just my opinion.

i like your pose alot. and your anatomy's really good.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:38 pm
    aliira >> Ooh~ Thank you so much for the comment.

I just updated the edit XD

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

Wispered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:25 am
Hi Nel!
This is a really pretty picture. I really like the foliage especially.
One thing I noticed, the back of her skull sort of disappears. I noticed you didn't draw it through (or you did and erased?) Folk have a lot longer skulls than we generally assume. Try drawing an indication line of the hairless skull, then add hair over that, it'll get your proportions right and it'll help make the hair look fuller and more natural. (I wish I had my tablet already, I'd do a drawover.) Hopefully you get what I mean though.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:18 pm
    Eejbeej >> Thank you~ heart
    Yes, it disappeared when I cleaned it up with brightness/contrast. It's actually there in the real pic XD

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:09 am
    Updated the 'finished' pic. Comment please? XD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:22 pm
The chest area is awkward, try looking in the mirror how your armpit looks aspecialy. I think the shadows by the armpit and on the neck have too much of a strong edge too. I like your shading!

Did you use a refference or no?  

Lucimorth

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:15 pm
    I tried to look at myself in the mirror for reference, but I couldn't make that exact pose & couldn't find it on the internet either. >_<

Ah, yes, I didn't know what to do with the armpit. I'll try to be more careful.

Would you mind saying how is the chest awkward?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:51 pm
User Image

I have a few points [I hope you are not offended by my manner of speach, or soemthing like that...here are some stuff I found and thought I could fix]

Her neck was too thick, so I made it a bit thinner. All in all, I am not sure the human neck can go that far back, you should try it, women are more flexible then men, sooo..i might be wrong..lol
Her ribcage was a bit out of place, everytime you draw soemthing, try to draw the shape of the ribcage inside the body. Did you draw the body under her dress? Because I found it a bit too long.
I put in as much detail as I could in the armpit, I am not 100% sure how the muscle works there, but what I meant is you could try to put your arm that way, just to see how the muscles are connected there.
I fixed [as far as i know..lol] some other minor things, you can see it all in the drawover...I hope it helps!  

Lucimorth

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:17 pm
    OMG Thank you so much!! That helps a lot! o_o

Ah yeah...my neck can go that far back o3o

I did draw the body under the dress, but it's probably because I've always drawn Japanese game anatomy = super long limbs. XD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:24 pm
haha...yeah, I imagined razz

Thing is, it is all sortof in the same proportion there. I mean, if one thing is 25% longer, everything else in the body is the same, so when soemthing is 25% longer and soething is 10% longer, and soemthing else is 40% longer it looks a bit weird :S.

There was a ctualy an artist in the Renaissance who painted elongated figures...hehe

I have a siggestion, when you draw these things, always draw the spine rib cage and the hips. The distance between last rib and hips is about 4-5 fingers usualy, that way it will be easier to get the big proportions right. Also, I hate the armpit...it is so complex..lol

And I envy you razz I wish I could bend my neck that way...lol...I feel my skin is gonna rip if I do that XD

Glad I helped biggrin  

Lucimorth

Skreemin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:08 pm
oooooooo pretty  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:42 am
Ozzy, it's alright to give positive comments in here, but please give reasons as to why you think its pretty, to show you've at least thought about it and to help the artist out so they know what they are probably doing right. It's just more helpful to everyone when you post more than one line.  

Wispered

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff