Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Lady Nightwolf's sketchbook-Updated- 3/ 9/ 07 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Nightwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:09 pm
Actually I didn't use any refferances, and I'm using CG illustrate so I only have 1 brush ;___;
I never figured out how to get my tablet sensitivity to work with Photoshop and though I have painter 3 I can't figure out how it works .

Oh my goodness... you're right... they are rather bigger than they should be 0_o;;;  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:17 pm
Hey Lady! biggrin

I really love that dragon on the second picture *___* the detail and the dragony-ness of it is amazing XD;; (for lack of better terms). Also the interaction between the two (interaction is so hard to protray sometimes)

I realize you have a ways to go but here's my two cents to keep in mind. This is a lineless painting so instead of thinking of your objects as a collection of lines, think of them in terms of shapes.. like when a shadow is cast, that casts a "shape" not just the outline of a shadow. Deliniate not with lines but contrasts between color... and some areas can even fade into each other -> you only need to paint what you SEE not what you KNOW. Also try to make your brush strokes more intentional and finished looking.

I'm not sure you have a definate light source yet, it looks like it could be coming from front/top/right but be careful about that because the dragon's head would cast a shadow on her face.

I noticed that in a lot of your pictures your people are a bit chunky, so just something to keep in mind (not this one but some of the others)

Lastly... yes her hand is HUGE XD;; and her far shoulder is too high for this angle.

biggrin keep pushing your colors and I can't wait to see this done... and omg that was more like my $2.50 rather than 2 cents @__@;; sorry for sounding nitpicky and talking so much.

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Lady Nightwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:47 pm
it looks pretty smooth for a partcially finished painting to me, but I've found that when I look at some of my stuff from a different computer it looks different...-____-blehh.... should I blend more to make it more graduated?

The light source is suposed to be from the back of the pic, there will be open sky through a arch behind them... razz I need help with getting a definate light source It's always been a problem for me >__<;; and because of that I have an interesting time figuring out were the shadows should lay.

My people are probably chunky because I'm a bit chunky XD v.v;;

Yeah the hands... I don't know how I missed that XD.. probably just been staring at it too long xp mmn you're right about the shoulder too...bleh....

Don't worry it was useful info  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 pm
    I won't say what everyone said already XD But yeah, be careful with the lighting. If it's supposed to be from the back, then everything should be a lot darker o_o. Or you have to highlight the edges more.

The 3 main colors you use (red, yellow, blue) is a good choice because they give a traditional feeling. But at the same time, they really contradict one another. So you have to add a lot more of the other colors...(don't know how to say this) Add more blue into the red dress, more red to the dragon where the color from the dress is reflected, and more blue to the dragon also, maybe yellowish lighting to her hair as well, etc.

Try to make the shading on her skin darker too. Our eyes are normally attracted to darker colors or where the contrast is. Right now when I look at the picture (zoomed out), I see the dress first, THEN the girl's face. But yeah...I don't know if that's just me.

I think the dragon's right horn is too high.

I love how you do the details. Can't wait to see the finished version <3

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:57 pm
Hrmm it's not the smoothness... pictures can look great and complete even if it's rough question There's no need to blend smoothly either... What I mean is if you leave something rough, leave it rough, and make it look like you did that on purpose, that every brush stroke has a reason to be there @__@;;... especially where two things meet. /completely fails at explaining/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:35 pm
the dragon isn't yellow it's gold ;__; and it's not suposed to be super dramatic lighting more like daylight  

Lady Nightwolf

Bare Naked Mizzie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 pm
I'm casting my vote for somewhat dramatic lighting, unless you're going for a dual light source. Having an ambiguous lightsource will really wreck the effect.

Just really play up the darks, and have a bright leading edge.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:39 am
Ok, i'm darkeninf and lightening bits and just detailing it more, I'll probably update what I have later today. I've fixed the hands to be smaller and added detail to the dragon, though I'll probably have to go back and change some things on it.  

Lady Nightwolf

Lady Nightwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:03 am
Updated, I removed the sketch behind it so that you could see what I've done so far more clearly, please ignor the belly scales I'm still working out what I want to do with them, and they are obviously incomplete.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:04 am
    Commented over at my thread ^ ^~
    Just wondering...You said that you removed the sketch underneath it, but I can still see the sketch. You didn't upload a wrong pic, did you? o_O

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

Dr Euphony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:57 pm
sorry for my late reply here ^^;;

i'm loving the dragon detail. no real crits for it other than keep pushing on smile

For the girl's skin, add in some darker shadows and push your contrast a little more. you have the right idea with your colour mixes, but let's take it to the next level with more spotted hilights on the face and shadows under her chin, hands, and between the fingers smile  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff