Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Jitsumi1221's Sketchbook

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jitsumi1221

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:34 pm
hihi! so im going to be posting half finished or linearts here (probably mostly of my oc's cause i try to practice stuff im trying to improve on them)

please please critique. thus far ive only taken 2 classes for drawing and im very very unfamiliar wih drawing males (so any help with that would be most appreciated). along with that im... i dont weally do well on folds of clothing (im sure this will be made glaringly obvious soon enough).

and last thing im trying to get better at is adding more details and shading with pencil/coloring pencil ^^;;

User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:27 pm
Hey there. ^_^ First things first, if you haven't already, devote a sketchbook to life drawing and do a few a week. You'll love the results.
Your work is cute. It's a great start.
Anatomy wise, the first lass' head is too far forward on the neck. I'm not quite sure about the shoulders, but I always struggle with shoulders myself. Her arm, I'd like to see a bit more curve in there, same with the knees. The hint of the breast that we see (if I'm seeing it correctly) is too high. And I think the closest foot is too small. Major kudos for getting the limb lengths right, though.
On your inking, I'm glad to see you're varying your lineweights. I think you could benefit from varying the ones inside the contour though. Closer lines should be a bit thicker, lines that are away from the lightsource. If something is on or in front of something else then it should have a slightly thicker line. It helps add depth, especially when you use such a heavy contour line.

Good luck, hope to see more from you soon. ^_^  

Wispered

Jitsumi1221

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:32 pm
thank you kindly ^^ i havent actually done any life drawing or even though about it, so thats a really good idea (lol why hadn't i though of this yet? ) hummm and varying line thickness. i read that in a book but havent actually tried to apply it yet, i shall try it on this half finished lineart i have sitting around here.

i always have the hardest time figuring out exactly whats the right placement for er.. cleavage. ironic since im a girl but *shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:41 pm
I think it's a pretty common mistake. When I first started all my poor gals had their boobs tucked under their chins -_-  

Wispered

Jitsumi1221

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:44 pm
hahahaha i think most of my first ones their boobs were somewhere near their hips.. all lovely and saggy. *snort*  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:53 pm
Hehe, poor lasses. Ah well. What helps, I think, is look in the mirror and compare where you fall to points on your arms and other reference points. A lot of drawing proportions is remembering references. Our bodies work really well that way.  

Wispered

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff