Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Cresent's sketchbadness ;o; Need crits/redline on post 10.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cresentdragonwagon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:56 am
Just recently finished a lineart for a comissioner, but before I color it, I really want to change the bear in the drawing. Mainly the face (he looks like *****). Gah, I'm no good with animals, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some critiques? <3

Thanks for viewing. <3

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:05 am
It's a really cute picture.
I think the problem with the bear is in the eyes, the rest of the face works. Maybe make the eyes a bit more round and completely black (except for shines and the like) It'll appear more cute and animally and less like he's eyeing her.
I also noticed that the faeries limbs are too short, especially the arm resting on the leg. And one eye is lower than the other.

Otherwise though, Well done overall.  

Wispered

Iyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am
xd ***** love her pose - you did such a great job of making it seem natural and fluid! And I don't know if this was intentional or not, but cocking the mouth to the side just a little bit like you did gives the look of an amused smirk. Such a great expression! Love it. whee

I did a quick redline to try and help you out. It strikes me that the position of the bear's eyes indicates it has its head turned slightly, so we shouldn't be seeing its snout from head-on. I'm also a little confused about the hair tuft in the middle of its chest - I know what you're going for because I've seen it on animals, but since we're seeing the bear from the side, the tuft shouldn't be right in the center of its chest.

I know you asked for critiques of the bear, but I just had to throw in my two cents about the girl too. sweatdrop The eyes you drew look great by themselves, but don't exactly line up on the face. I know you can't easily fix that now since you've got hair lines covering that area too, but it's probably a good thing to keep in mind for the future. There's also her arm - it seems like it should be sticking out towards the viewer more, rather than just sort of dangling between her legs. Again, it's pretty hard to change now, but a good thing to keep in mind for later pictures.

User Image

Hope this helps you out! whee  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:35 pm
Thankyou guys for all the help! Next time I draw something I will make sure that the eyes are even. I didnt even notice until you brought it up! Thanks!

I shoulda said it in the first post, but the comissioner wanted the eyes for the bear to be kinda animeish. I've redrawn the face and the hair tuft. I hop this looks better.

Thanks once again guys!
User Image  

cresentdragonwagon

Wispered

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:04 pm
Oh that looks much better.
Are you planning on colouring it? Be sure to post it up if you do, I think it would be awesome in colour.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:00 am
Yep all colored now. <3
lol no lightsource. >___>;;
User Image  

cresentdragonwagon

Wispered

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:01 am
Very nice. ^_^ You've mentioned the lightsource, so I won't harp on you about that.
I will suggest though, if you haven't tried it before, selecting completely different colours for the shadows than your base colour. Like the complimentary of it. It helps make things pop and seem just more...lively.
If you already knew all this, then splendiferous, if not, give it a shot and see how you like it. ^_^

EDIT: Oh! forgot to ask, did you draw those vines in the border? I really like them  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am
Very nice! I also like the simple bg for it. Doesn't steal the foreground's spotlight xD (i'm an inexperienced artist anyway x_X, so there goes my constructive comment >_>)

And I might take Eejbeej's suggestion for the shadowing thing too xD

n i k i e h l

4,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100

cresentdragonwagon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:34 pm
Oooh cool I'll definately try to experiment with colors more.

I got the leafy border from here. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/1945520/  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:38 am
Gah, I need more crits~ Could anyone help me with this sketch? what I need help on the most are Reiji's arms (the one carrying Logan). But I'll accept any other crits too. <3

User Image  

cresentdragonwagon

yoshimichi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:30 pm
User Image

Gahh!!

i have to fly to class i will post why and what not when i get back!

you can ignore most of the red, because it was just me going back over your lines  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:13 am
Oh wow thankyou~

lol attack of the uneven eyes! I definately am going to put a stop to that! The repositionin of the hand really fixed that pose toooo. <3

Thanks soo much for the help Yoshi. <3 <3  

cresentdragonwagon

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces