Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Jade[rii]'s sketchbook. [Updated 05/30/07]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

crownjade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:07 pm
User Image

Greetings!

I'll be posting my works in progress and finished pieces here for constructive criticism.

To help with critiquing, I'll list a few things I (think I) can and can't do. It'll probably tell you where I stand, art-wise.

Can: Barely anything.

Can't -- : Folds, muscles, curvy figures, anatomy, perspective, angles (mainly eyes - the one farthest from the viewer), and so much more.

Basically I need help with everything. Sorry guys;;

User Image

Now for my cra- err artwork:

o1 [wip] Taliim commission.

o2 [wip] Dora dora dora the explorerrrr!

Criticism, suggestions, tips, draw overs - all are welcome! ♥  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:55 pm
Wow..may I just say that as sketchy as your style is...it is somehow so very clean. o.o Impressive.

For the Taliim commission, I really don't see any anatomical mistakes except for the...*ahem*...breasts. Ah...I don't know if you did this on purpose, but breasts do not look like that. o__o
I won't explain how to draw them...instead, here's a whimsical tutorial on them I found in my other art guild! http://mangarevolution.com/tutorial_display.php?tutorial_id=52
((It's very good.))
Really those are the only anatomical mistakes. I would say the nose is a little too long, but you haven't drawn the eyes in yet...

For the Dora the Explorer picture, it is very cute. ^w^ I like the anime-stylized version of her better than the cartoon version. >__>
I recommend a few things to change however...
I always perceived Dora as slightly chubby. Obviously, you do not have to share my views, but I would make her face a bit rounder. ...You don't have to.
Also, the arms are too skinny, making the elbows too prominent, and the same goes for her legs. Lastly, her shoulders are too broad...especially for a little girl. Making her legs and arms shorter would make her seem more like a little girl. ((Unless...you weren't going for that?))
I love her expression and her pose. The umbrella, trees, and mushroom are the perfect touch! ^w^  

PinkGhost

crownjade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 pm
PinkGhost
Wow..may I just say that as sketchy as your style is...it is somehow so very clean. o.o Impressive.

Thank you! ^^ I always sketch really lightly for the base then go over it darker. It saves me a lot of erasing. xD!

PinkGhost
For the Taliim commission, I really don't see any anatomical mistakes except for the...*ahem*...breasts. Ah...I don't know if you did this on purpose, but breasts do not look like that. o__o
I won't explain how to draw them...instead, here's a whimsical tutorial on them I found in my other art guild! http://mangarevolution.com/tutorial_display.php?tutorial_id=52
((It's very good.))
Really those are the only anatomical mistakes. I would say the nose is a little too long, but you haven't drawn the eyes in yet...

For the breasts, are you talking about their position on her or their shape? Or maybe both?

I just looked at the tutorial you gave me - thanks for that, by the way. It's really helpful. :3 I had meant for her breasts to stand out, but I want them to stand out correctly - if that makes sense. x3 Honestly I'm surprised that everything - besides the breasts - looks alright. xD; The torso looked a bit wonky to me so I thought something may have been off with it.

PinkGhost
For the Dora the Explorer picture, it is very cute. ^w^ I like the anime-stylized version of her better than the cartoon version. >__>
I recommend a few things to change however...
I always perceived Dora as slightly chubby. Obviously, you do not have to share my views, but I would make her face a bit rounder. ...You don't have to.
Also, the arms are too skinny, making the elbows too prominent, and the same goes for her legs. Lastly, her shoulders are too broad...especially for a little girl. Making her legs and arms shorter would make her seem more like a little girl. ((Unless...you weren't going for that?))
I love her expression and her pose. The umbrella, trees, and mushroom are the perfect touch! ^w^

Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned this before: My version was meant to be an older (preteen-ish) - and much less chubby - version of Dora. Sorry about that. :3;;

I also noticed that her shoulders looked a little too broad so I'll definitely fix that and the other things you mentioned, like fattening her arms and legs. Though wouldn't fattening her arms and legs make her look more little kid-like?

Thank you very much for the help! I'll try my best to fix those mistakes I made. ^w^  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:35 pm
jaderii

I also noticed that her shoulders looked a little too broad so I'll definitely fix that and the other things you mentioned, like fattening her arms and legs. Though wouldn't fattening her arms and legs make her look more little kid-like?

I think that what she meant was adding a little more meat to her bones rather than fattening. Right now her limbs make her look like she's anorexic. Lol.

I really think both pictures are so cute. PG basically covered all the major problems. You have a really cute style, and I especially love the Dora picture. Keep it up. smile  

Razmaz

crownjade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:02 am
Razmaz

I think that what she meant was adding a little more meat to her bones rather than fattening. Right now her limbs make her look like she's anorexic. Lol.

xD Ee, anorexic Dora - that can't be a good influence on the chilluns.

I think I understand now though.

Razmaz
I really think both pictures are so cute. PG basically covered all the major problems. You have a really cute style, and I especially love the Dora picture. Keep it up. smile

Thank you very much. ^^ I think I'm finally working my way towards a constant style, rather than having it change throughout every picture - even if I don't even notice it sometimes. x3;  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games