Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Green Tea and Weight Loss

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oshii-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:05 am
I've heard quite a few times that the ginseng in green tea helps you burn fat. Is this true?

Either way, I've become addicted to Arizona Green Iced Tea. It's got<1 g of sugar and 0 carbs  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:36 am
Iced green tea is no substitute for real green tea.
It's basically just a fad drink.
From a health standpoint, White Tea is better, and it has a higher caffeiene content, which makes me happy.  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Oshii-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:07 am
Oh. Didn't know that. I looked in the ingredients, and assumed that since it still had gynseng, it was basically the same.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:08 am
Im prettysure it's sweetened with some sort of low-cal artificial sweetner  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:55 am
Green tea itself has no ginseng, that's something Arizona adds to their tea. Don't they also add honey? Anyway, green tea's epigallocatechin gallate (or, EGCG, lawl, I had to look up the real name) raises your metabolic rate so does cause a calorie burn - the increase is so small Coca-cola and Nestle should be shot for trying to market their new Enviga drink as a metabolism enhancer. Caffeine is also an increased calorie-burning ingredient but again the doses are too small for it to be omgwhoa and you don't want to ingest that much caffeine anyway, limited to a cup of coffee it can be beneficial but too much can be bad or even toxic. Black tea has more caffeine than green tea and green more than white. Tea actually has more caffeine than coffee by weight but you use less tea when you brew than with coffee so tea ends up with less caffeine. As far as I know ginseng doesn't do anything for your metabolism.

I make my own iced green tea and keep it in the fridge and drink about 2 liters everyday (in addition to close to a gallon of water). I like itoen's oo ocha which is the brand I drank about 4 bottles of everyday when I was in Japan. Partly because it was the cheap one that cost 88 cents and later because I loved it the most. Buuuut, since it's more expensive over here I just stick with brewing my own. I think the bottled tea you can get in the US and Europe are pretty not good but if you like bottled tea there isn't anything wrong with that but check the indgredients and make sure you aren't drinking a ton of sugar. Arizona's ginseng and honey has high fructose corn sryup in it - just like drinking a high sugar pop but with less calories.

I use meijer (store brand) bagged tea to keep the costs down but I also love the bag tea itoen makes for Costco's kirkland label.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:43 am
Note: Arizona also has a DIET Green Tea with Ginseng. It's sweetened with Splenda, which has no calories, instead of corn syrup.

The ginseng isn't what causes the metabolic rate to rise, though it is healthy for other reasons.

It's very refreshing, and because it's not carbonated, it won't give you gas. blaugh  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Oshii-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:01 pm
I drink the diet one. Well, thanks for all of the info!  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games