Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Live 8 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:47 pm
The media is an incrediably stupid and annoying thing. The peaceful march on Saterday with a quarter of a million people in it was almost completely overlooked while today's carnival march has been all over the news because they clashed with the police (who were way too heavy handed and let passerbys acidentally wonder in but wouldn't let them out.) Why is it that protests have to be violent to get publicity? (rhetorical question) At least they didnt do it Saterday I suppose.

The protest in Doonray (spelt it wrong but the nucleur weapons one) looked rather fun to be at though.
And I hope my aunt is ok. She went to the Carnival march with the anarchy group. Gah, relatives are such a pain.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:55 pm
whapcapn
and_solo_said
The only good acts at Hyde Park were The Who and Velvet Revolver

But...but...Pink Floyd?
They 0wnz3d. Truly.

I have to be in a very particular mood to enjoy Pink Floyd, and that mood is not a mild euphoria brought on by international demand for greater aid.  

Fourcolour

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:57 pm
ice_illusion
The media is an incrediably stupid and annoying thing. The peaceful march on Saterday with a quarter of a million people in it was almost completely overlooked while today's carnival march has been all over the news because they clashed with the police (who were way too heavy handed and let passerbys acidentally wonder in but wouldn't let them out.) Why is it that protests have to be violent to get publicity? (rhetorical question) At least they didnt do it Saterday I suppose.

The protest in Doonray (spelt it wrong but the nucleur weapons one) looked rather fun to be at though.
And I hope my aunt is ok. She went to the Carnival march with the anarchy group. Gah, relatives are such a pain.

Anarchists on the whole don't bother me. It's the balaclava-clad, 'political till the trust fund runs out', wooly-thinking anarchists that piss me off. I think they were the type that caused trouble today, and will likely use their black flags as attractive throws in their young executive apartments once they get bored and decide to use their business and economics degrees instead.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:11 pm
Fourcolour
I'm guessing a fair proportion of you checked this out or are still checking this out. What are your thoughts on the whole? Will it be effective? Who put on the best performance? What was the highlight for you?

I do think it will be somewhat effective, I do not think it will as effective as they would have hoped.  

KimchiNoodle

sel50uk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:24 am
I missed it! Firstly I couldn't go, then I couldn't watch it on TV!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:27 am
I'm actually vaguely annoyed about Live 8. All for a good cause, I know, but it being held on the same day as the Make Poverty March in Edinburgh meant all the coverage went to Live 8 and not the march. I went on the march, and was rather disappointed we were overlooked due to bloody Bob Geldof hijacking our protest day. Oh well.  

Spatterdash

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games