Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Hand Weights

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Steamed Veggies
  Make grandma a hothead
View Results

AmberLepu

Eloquent Businesswoman

4,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:49 am
Hey all, I was just wondering about something. You know those really brightly colored weights you see in old 80's style workout tapes? Well, I saw some in the mall the other day and was wondering...

Do those things really work?

I mean, I tried them out a little and I felt comfortable around the 2-5 pound margin, but do they really give those lean muscles the old vhs tapes promise?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:55 am
Donna the Vixen
Hey all, I was just wondering about something. You know those really brightly colored weights you see in old 80's style workout tapes? Well, I saw some in the mall the other day and was wondering...

Do those things really work?

I mean, I tried them out a little and I felt comfortable around the 2-5 pound margin, but do they really give those lean muscles the old vhs tapes promise?

Those are dumbbells and they will certainly give you really great muscle, if you use them properly - so yes, those vhs tapes are telling the truth. : D Here is my thread that be a bit of a guide to weights in general. The links will be very helpful.

The reason those weights are colored is because they're covered with neoprene to let you more safely grip them when working out/sweating and also because they sell better than the dull uncovered weights of the same sizes but under that bright colored neoprene? Normal metal weights. : D

When you start out lifting and are learning good form use a weight you reach temporary muscle fatigue (where, using proper form, you can't lift the weight again) in about 12-15 reps (most places I see recommend 12). Once you have proper form down you can start uping the amount of weight and doing lower reps (8-10). Remember small muscles like your triceps and big muscles like your chest won't be able to lift the same amount of weight.

Weight bearing exercises are so good for your bones and for helping your body build something good while taking away something bad like excess fat. Lifting won't make your fat magically burn away but it helps since muscle burns more calories than fat does.  

dangerousfish

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:13 pm
I should mention if you buy weight to use doing aerobics or something that's a lighter weight that one you can reach temp. muscle fatigue in 8-12 reps. I know I couldn't move around like that safely with a heavy weight, I have 2 pounders to do with Walk Away the Pounds.

Rock on!  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games