Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Water Weight??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Water Weight
  NOOOoooo!!
  No such thing!
View Results

SquishyAngeh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:00 pm
Ok, what I was curious about.....does anyone know about water weight, and how it can change your weight from day to day?

Cause I now weigh 5 pounds MORE than I did 2 days ago gonk I dont know if its because I weighed myself AFTER I ate...or because of water weight or what...but yeah, I just wanted to see if anyone knew about that kinda thing.

THANK YOU gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 pm
Try and weigh yourself at the same time each time you do, say first thing in the morning before you eat or last thing at night, keep it constant though. Don't weigh yourself every day because you will have natural fluctuations in weight, try once a week at most.

Water weight can be caused by fluid retention. That's where you eat foods high in salt which then causes the body retain the water you drink. You need to drink more water to flush that out. Sounds silly but it works. Try and make sure you don't eat too many processed foods or foods high in sodium because that causes retention.

I hope that helps yous ^_^.

Frog Juice

7,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Signature Look 250

Aeren
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:31 am
a good time to weigh is in the morning after you have used the bathroom. and always wear the same type of clothes. jeans are a lot heavier than say pajama pants. always do it at the same time like Frog said.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:46 pm
    Moon Says:

» » » Yeah. I weigh myself every morning around 6.15 (darn highschool starting at 7.20.. >: ) after using the restroom and before getting dressed. No clothes, and using the restroom pretty much tells me, "this is exactly what you weigh today".

But depending on your time of the month, or just general water retention, you might fluctuate in weight from day to day.

Some days I'll be 114, some other days I'll be 120.
It all depends on your body. No worries. (:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Moonecho

SquishyAngeh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:20 pm
Thank you guys sooo much...I dont feel so bad now!

And I figured out the reason that I am retaining water....is because aunt flo came to visit shortly after I posted this...LOL

but yeah, I need to start weighing myself 1 time a week at the most!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 pm
There's a delay factor when you do things that will affect your weight.

* When you drink something, it shows up on the scale immediately.

* When you eat something, it shows up on the scale within two to three days.

* When you exercise, the effects show up on the scale within two to three weeks.

---------------

Things that contribute to water-weight gain:

* Drinking water before weighing. To correct this, just weigh first thing in the morning, while naked, after using the toilet but before eating or drinking anything. Added benefit: You'll be weighing your body, not your clothes and not last night's dinner.

* Dehydration. Strange as it sounds, if you don't get enough water, your body holds onto the water it does have in it. This happens especially after eating high-sodium foods, drinking or eating things containing caffeine or alcohol, after exercising, after fasting for any reason (that includes doing without liquids, not necessarily foods), and even sleeping. All those activities cause water retention specifically because of dehydration. To cure this, just drink more water. Figure on one extra glass of water per 15 minutes of exercise/activity, one extra glass per every high-sodium serving of food you eat, one extra glass of water for every glass of caffeinated beverage you drink, and one extra glass daily per every 20 pounds that you weigh more than your ideal weight. That is, if your ideal weight is 130 pounds, and you weigh 170 pounds, drink two extra glasses of water per day. Your minimum amount of water intake should be one gallon (around 3 liters).

* A woman's menstrual cycle. You'll retain water in the week leading up to your menses, and lose most of it within the first three days of your menses.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:18 pm
It's most likely because you weigh yourself after you ate, relating to why you weigh less after you go to the bathroom. : D

Scales that come with "instructions" will tell you to weigh yourself at the same time of day, after using the bathroom, and try and do it with the same hydration level. Women are more sensitive to water weight since our body often hoards it during our periods (hence the "bloat"). Weighing yourself when you've eaten salty foods will also make you retain water.

I weigh myself Friday mornings right after I get up and use the bathroom.

The best way to beat bloat is to drink water! Your body wants to save the water when you don't drink enough because it is afraid there is a drought and you might die. *sniff, poor body.* Remember when you're thristy you're already dehydrated.

An off-hand rule of thumb is you need to drink half of your body weight, just to get by for living. Assuming you're measuring your weight in pounds and your water intake in ounces. So if you weigh 100 pounds you should drink at least 50 ounces of water. You need more water depending on your diet, activity level and what the climate is like where you live (and some other junk). Remember you _can_ drink too much water (water intoxication) so don't over do it but I agree about the gallon/day thing. It's not like you're downing all your water in one sitting.

I carry a water bottle every where and drink constantly, when I'm at home I drink my normal massive amounts of iced green tea (of which I love and drink over a liter of everday). Sure, you pee more when you drink lots of water but your body will be happier.

I actually had a buddy who wasn't very good about the water intake and would fill a gallon jug every day and made herself drink it all before she went to bed that night.

Mainly repeating the other posts but since I'm such a firm believer in water... xd  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games