Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Gifts of the Goddess?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:44 pm
I'm musing (pardon the pun) over this...

I think it is fair to say I am even a-musing over this as well. (Does that make comedy uninspired? ~glances at Monty Python~ Huh... ).

Anyway- I am curious, has "Goddess Culture" and symbology infused into the interweb so much that polytheists now have avi-dress to adorn our pixils the way we sometimes wish we could adorn ourselves in real life? (Let's face it- pixil bird s**t is easier to get out of silk than the real stuff).

As a subculture that views these things as valid faith rather than outdated mythos- how do you feel about Gaia's (as if I haven't done double takes on that one before) latest gear?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:48 am
Been away because of sick kitty IRL, and my gf just pointed out the latest collectibles to me so I took the time to sign on. She pointed them out not for spiritual significance but because they contain birds (I am a birder, have a pet parrot, and am otherwise obsessed with feathered creatures).

Well, they're pretty. XD The cranes have significance to me from a personal standpoint, though not a spiritual one. I was highly amused by the "goddess" link thing though, and that's why I immediately checked here after glancing over the collectibles to see if anyone had posted a thread about it. And I was right!

As for goddess culture, they're definitely all about fashion. I doubt it crossed the designers minds that they could mean anything else.

I am debating whether to purchase the collectibles this month. I almost always do, but I am tight on money after pet expenses and... well, I almost feel like I'm about to commit culture rape if I buy those birdies and fashion accessories.

Is it a sin? Certainly none of those goddesses have claimed me. And I know there are those here in this community whom they may have!  

MoonJeli

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:53 am
I feel the same way I felt when the golden laurels and winged sandals came out -- "I gotta have these!".

I don't think this actually has anything to do with religion -- goddess symbology has been infused with our culture for quite a long time.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 am
I think it just may be the popular trend right now to name stuff Goddess this and Goddess that. Heck, if you made something that looked like a horrible robe that had colors that just make the brain hurt, and said it was a Goddess Healing/Energy/plane whatever here Robe, it would probably sell. I very much doubt the spiritual side of any or rather most of it.  

jaden kendam

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 am
I jumped on 'em. Even got two since I wasn't that interested in the armor. So I can now sport the "Aset butterfly" look. whee I love it. If She doesn't, well, it's on my head, right?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:14 pm
I couldn't resist all the birdies. XD

And the re-sale value. *shifty eyes*  

MoonJeli

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:37 pm
I got the items, though the whole spiritual aspect of it never crossed my mind when I bought them. I thought they looked great, and since the point is to dress your avatar that's all I thought about.

I didn't buy the kiki kitty because I have 5 cats, so I don't see why I'd apply that standard to anything else I buy on gaia.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:23 pm

We would probably get a pretty predictable reaction if one of the MCs were
called "Gift of God", as the thing that would jump into most peoples' minds is
the idea of the Christian God. Simply because of the cultures in which most of
us were born, raised and currently live. There isn't as much of a danger with
that happening with the word "Goddess" as it has found its way into pop culture.

Ultima the High Seraph

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:17 pm
personally, i enjoy it rather well. i felt about the same way buying the collectible items this month as i did when i opened my last birthday present from my mother (a bronze-age, middle eastern arrowhead on a neckalace); absolutely ecstatic and elated.

while yes, i do simply consider it as "hey look! shinies!" i also feel deep significance with two of the options for the Gifts of the Goddesses (Athena and Durga), primarily based on the relationship i do have with these two.

even without the connection, i imagine my reaction would still have been fairly excited, 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:11 pm
I jumped just because I've had a recent.... errr... ok, in the past 2 years.... interest in Durga in her many forms due to a fan fiction and roleplay project I was working on.

Still love her too.

But half of it was the 'SHINY!' reaction too, I'm sure.  

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:18 pm
I had the initial reaction of "oooh shiney!!" as well, but also I love the Isis stuff since I've been a fan of ancient egyptian stuff for a loooong looooooong time.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:11 pm
I think that the stuff is soooo pretty! I keep bidding at teh marketplace because I don't know where to try and buy it from (if I even can).  

wikkedpixie

Annalixa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:20 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/store/collectibleinfo.php?mode=preview

You get those monthly donation collectible items by giving money to Gaia. Read the link, kthnx. They accept money in a variety of forms. Each month is something different, so now your only chance to get the Gift of the Goddess is to keep on bidding. Either that or have someone nice give you one.

And as for the OP: mythology is something (relatively) popular, especially among the kinds of people who hang around Gaia, seeing that mythology and deities etc get used kind of a lot in anime. I can't help but wonder if Gaia also took into account the fair amount of pagans on the site (at all various stages of development, fluffy and otherwise) when coming up with this donation item, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:18 am
Soo I found a real gem of a friend willing to sell me one! Now I just gotta save up for it  

wikkedpixie

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff