Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[movie] [Newsies] most slashable movie EVER.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

retice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:41 pm
User Image

So I was curious to know if anyone has seen/heard of Newsies, since it is what originally got me into slash in the first place, and I thought "How cool would it be if someone else on here liked it?"
It's a Disney movie, directed by Kenny Ortega (High School Musical/The Cheetah Girls 2), and contains some prominent actors and actresses such as Robert Duvall, Ann Margaret, and Bill Pullman; there's also the younger generation of prominent actors, like Christian Bale, Aaron Lohr, Max Casella, etc.
Newsies is a true story, set in 1899 New York. At this time, young newsboys, called "Newsies", would stroll the streets selling newspapers at a penny a pape in order to support themselves and often times their families as well. But Pullitzer, in an effort to make more money, raises the price of the newspaper for the newsies by a tenth of a cent (ten cents per hundred). This outraged the boys, because as it were they weren't making much already.

Quote:
"The main story is about the strike, against Pulitzer, but also about, you know, the relationship with David and Jack..." —Christian Bale

Jack Kelly (Christian Bale) and David Jacobs (David Moscow) are the stars of this movie, and their chemistry is so extreme that it's almost impossible to overlook. In the end, the main love interest is David's sister, but honestly, the relationship between Jack and Sarah is not NEARLY as significant as the one between Jack and David, and it shows.
One of the reasons I adore this movie so much is because there is so much touching between the newsboys. It's impossible to overlook - most of them were orphans, and as such, lived in very close quarters. They hug, they mock-fight, they carry, they push, they rub, they aren't shy about anything.
Newsies premiered in 1992, but initially didn't do well because musicals at that time were not what the audience was looking for. For this reason it really doesn't get the attention it deserves, even today. But that's what I'm here for =)
It's really worth looking into if you like musicals. The music is really good, the boys are nice to look at, the dancing is amazing, and the chemistry reflects well with everyone. You fall in love with background characters the same as you do with the main ones. I really love this movie, I hope you will too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:18 pm
Actually, yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw that movie back in, like, seventh grade music. o.o I wasn't a slash fan at the time, and actually didn't notice it, but now that I think back on it... yeah. You're right. mad I need to watch that movie again, seriously.  

Duckysushi

retice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:58 pm
Duckysushi
Actually, yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw that movie back in, like, seventh grade music. o.o I wasn't a slash fan at the time, and actually didn't notice it, but now that I think back on it... yeah. You're right. mad I need to watch that movie again, seriously.

That's actually exactly how it was for me. In the seventh grade we watched it every time we were having a free day in some Communication Arts class, and I was sick one day a little over a year ago, saw it for free on demand and decided to rewatch it for the heck of it. =) Best decision ever.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:13 pm
WIN. I'll get it next time I go out to rent a movie. neutral I don't remember much AT ALL, but hey, now I can go through it and go "SLASH". XD  

Duckysushi

Black_the(last)dogstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:39 pm
Wow, it's been so long since I've seen that movie. I hardly remember it anymore! I'm really going to have to go rent it now. It's funny, I never used to be into musicals when I was younger but I love them now. West side story is even pretty good, but I like seeing it live alot more than watching the movie. I've just seen the movie one to many times, because my chorus teacher was obessed with it and maked us watch it every time she was absent back in middle school.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:46 pm
That seems to be the common story -- my teacher was obsessed with Newsies, and so we watched it whenever he was absent. I can see why now! =D
I could go on and on about the characters/relationships in this movie. There are so many boys, and with them, somanypairingsholycrap!
My personal favorites are Javid, Blush, and Sprace, for future reference. XD  

retice

Katastrophic_Kate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:26 pm
Thank you!
I saw the movie a couple years ago before I was into yaoi, and then I watched it again recently and immediately saw the slashy possibilities! In fact I was quite upset at the end when Jack kissed the girl instead of David.
Grrrrr....

*drools over Christian Bale*  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:14 pm
Katastrophic_Kate
Thank you!
I saw the movie a couple years ago before I was into yaoi, and then I watched it again recently and immediately saw the slashy possibilities! In fact I was quite upset at the end when Jack kissed the girl instead of David.
Grrrrr....

*drools over Christian Bale*

:: grin :: Yay! I'm not alone in here!
Jack's relationship with Sarah PALES in comparison to his relationship with David. Jack must have talked to Sarah all of four times before he lays one on her. But he and David have grown as characters because of one another. They've bonded enough for Jack to call him "family" at the end heart  

retice

Unphotographable

7,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:31 am
Don't slash the newsies! D:
It's just a disney movie!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:33 pm
Unphotographable
Don't slash the newsies! D:
It's just a disney movie!

Too late. sweatdrop There's an entire website loaded with fanfiction and a forum for fans of the slashy aspect. I'm not alone on this.
I don't think it matters that it's a Disney movie -- it's not a Disney princess movie like Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast. It's easily slashable. =)  

retice

[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games