Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Roles of Water in Various Pagan Religions.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your religion have a role/roles for water?
  Yes, many.
  Yes, only 1 or 2.
  Not that I know of.
  No, I'm very sure that my religion doesn't have any role for water.
View Results

Sound Doxa

Sparkly Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:42 pm
So, I've been curious lately about water. I was wondering, what kind of role/roles does water play in the different Pagan religions?
Is there a religion based completely around water?
Are there water deities, or deities specifically interested in water?
Are there water spirits or other water entities?
Are there specific spells/kinds of magic that deal with/use water?
Bascially, how does water fit in within Paganism?
I'd like you to list for me each role of water that you've heard of, and I'd really like it if you could point me to some books or websites that have some more information on the roles of water.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:19 pm
SoundDoctrine
Are there water deities, or deities specifically interested in water? Are there water spirits or other water entities?

Several beings included in Asatru are associated with water, sort of. Njord is a fisherman, for example, and he's a god as well. Ran and her daighters live in the sea, and it's said those who die at sea are taken by her to run past her very picky daughters.

SoundDoctrine

Cleansing tends to be associated with water in neo-paganism, for what I hope is an obvious reason. I have water rituals, but then I have a personal relationship with water which predates my religious affiliation; any pool of water I come across, I touch a little bit of it to my forehead. I've been doing this since I was a teenager, though I try to be as circumspect as I can, since people tend to look at me oddly. If I'm disturbed, I've also taken to showering, or swimming, or somehow incorporating myself physically with water.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:18 pm
SoundDoctrine

Whole theologies? Not that I have heard of, but cults (or sects within larger theologies?) very much so.
Quote:

Are there water deities, or deities specifically interested in water?
In my trad, no. But there are plenty of other gods that concern themselves with oceans, rivers, lakes, rain etc.
Quote:

Are there water spirits or other water entities?
In my religion, there are spirits that live in the water- sure. But again, not "water spirits" per se.

They do exist in other religions though.

Quote:

Water is critical in many of the mokado laws. Where you gather your water from, how and when you wash, etc.
Quote:

Bascially, how does water fit in within Paganism?
(not that I'm a pagan, but hey. ~shrugs~)

I think I am seeing a pattern, that is best avoided right now. Sorry for taking this off topic.

The idea that "GodY is a god of X" is a bit inaccurate. Most pagan gods are not simply deities of generic things. Often due to deities having titles- this is an assumption from outside the religions as well as the neo-pagan scene.

One of my favorite examples is Odin. The most common title I have heard him addressed by is Alfather. But the guy has hundreds of names. (I'm not kidding either. I've seen lists... it's amazing)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:25 pm
TeaDidikai
SoundDoctrine

Whole theologies? Not that I have heard of, but cults (or sects within larger theologies?) very much so.

Like which ones?
Tea

I think I am seeing a pattern, that is best avoided right now. Sorry for taking this off topic.

The idea that "GodY is a god of X" is a bit inaccurate. Most pagan gods are not simply deities of generic things. Often due to deities having titles- this is an assumption from outside the religions as well as the neo-pagan scene.

One of my favorite examples is Odin. The most common title I have heard him addressed by is Alfather. But the guy has hundreds of names. (I'm not kidding either. I've seen lists... it's amazing)

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info!

*EDIT**
How should I best phrase what I mean then? I'm looking for information about entities that are involved with/really into/based around/connected to water.  

Sound Doxa

Sparkly Explorer

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:54 pm
SoundDoctrine
TeaDidikai
SoundDoctrine

Like which ones?

A number of cults that took up worship in sea side temples in most of the ancient world come to mind.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:22 am
SoundDoctrine
I'd really like it if you could point me to some books or websites that have some more information on the roles of water.

My time on Gaia may be be very limited after this morning for a couple weeks, but I read this really great book recently called Sacred Water that you would just love to check out (the link is to amazon.com). Goes over lots of stuff regarding the use of water... I might buy this book at some point myself.

How water fits into Paganism is a pretty broad question, though. sweatdrop Different Pagan religions might use it in anything from sea dieties to rain dances to elemental correspondences.  

Starlock

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff