Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
What's more important? Art or story Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Art or Story?
  Art
  Story
  Can't have one without the other
  Neither, I don't care as long as its yaoi
  poll whore option
View Results

PhantomAvenger

Anxious Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:06 am
I honestly think both are important  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:08 am
They back each other up. If the art sucks, nobody really cares for it unless it's a good story. However, if there is no story, people only go for the art.  

iTammie-chan

Twilight_Rein

Shirtless Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:04 am
Like the poll option I chose, I can't have one without the other. I guess because I look at the story plot with a wrtier's mind and the art with a artist's mind. smile If the plot is good and if I like how the art looks then I'll read.

Then again...it's yaoi. The art work is bound to be full of smexy goodness whee . I have yet read or seen a yaoi that could possibly scarred me...Oh jeez. Nevermind, I just remembered one. *shudder* emo  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:20 am
>,O) mmm.....

Story for me. If the story is stupid or something, or too slow or whatever, then I just can't really get into it.

If I'm in one of those moods ya kno, where I couldn't give a flying fornication about the story, then it's all about art ;D haha!  

Aurumfae

Sora-0107

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:08 am
it's really hard to answer lol rofl
I find it distracting to see poorly drawn characters in a manga i'm reading (since you'll be seeing them throughout the story). Then again, i find it a turn off if the art is so amazing but the story is going nowhere and the plot is nonsense.
anyway~ i'll probably go with story lol... or maybe i'll just buy a good yaoi novel sweatdrop
i'm annoyingly picky when it comes to yaoi manga rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:37 pm
I think both would be good. But of course first impressions are important. So if the artwork is bad, even with a good story, I wouldn't follow the scenes. But on the other hand, if the artwork is good but the storyline is boring, I wouldn't last. But at least I can tolerate it.

So I think both are important bu artwork has a bigger impact because the focus of the storyline can change from time to time and a bad plot can be developed to get better while an artwork remains the same because any changes in the artwork could lead to confusion and reader alienation. (for example you changed the main character's face to make it better, of course that would cause the readers to lose interest with a sudden disappearance of a character when in fact, it is there in the pages, but changed and look far from the original)

But as I said, artwork is best for first impression. You wouldn't buy a book with a bad cover. And certainly wouldn't waste time to open it to see if its contests are good. But you are more likely to buy a book with a good cover without checking its contents.  

reychop

900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Sieffre

Wheezing Genius

7,450 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 pm
To me, only the story (and characters) matter. If a manga has bad art, I'll still read it if it has a good story. But the prettiest art in the world wouln't back up a lousy story.

But then, someone who can write a story properly can generally also make sure that the art is clear and understandable.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:11 pm
Im a type of guy that loves good art and gives importance to the story.

Actually, whenever I decide to download a manga I would first look at it's cover then read it's storyline.

I really dont mind if the artwork is not that good as long as the story can take me along the way. But in a case where the artwork is really bad and the story is also bad, I would rather poke my eyes out than to read that manga.  

nikaido24

ausgeburt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:43 am
For me it depends on the length of the story. If its shorter, like a one-shot or a couple of chapters, or just....sexsexsex, then it NEEDS to have good art for me. Maybe because I'm an artist and I like to get inspired by other people's stuff I guess. But if its longer, then the art doesn't matter as long as its not disgusting. A good story is a must.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 pm
for me..i need both..  

darknessflies311

Conservative Browser

4,800 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff