Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Cast in Shadow, by Michelle Sagara

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lainy122

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:34 pm

I just finished reading this book the other day; it was recommended to me by a friend of mine. I must confess I LOVED the main character, the supporting characters, the mythology and the setting of this book, but I found a number of times I was confused by what was going on.

Has anyone else read this book? It was a great read, but I was wondering if I was the only one who had a bit of trouble following the characters around some of the plot developments?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:51 pm

It was a confusing book. I liked it, but it confused the hell out of me in parts. There were some parts where I had to go back like three chapters to find what they were talking about. Other than that, I really liked it. The characters were awesome--especially Nightshade (I can't remember if that's the right name or not.... n.n"). The dragon was awesome, too. I just... don't remember his name at all. Something with a T, wasn't it? (In case people are forgetting, I can't remember names to save my life.) But yeah. It was a neat book. The fact that the plot confused me half the time is about the only thing stoppnig me from getting Cast in Courtlight in trade paperback. I'm going to see if I can wait for it to come out in normal paperback.

NightIntent
Captain

Lainy122

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:56 pm

Tiamaris! I really liked his character too *g* Kaylin was probably my favourite though. It's hard to make a powerful female main character that is not only believable, but actually likable.

I had no idea there was another book! I might give it a go, even I strugged a few places in this one. I did, after all, enjoy it smile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:19 pm

Yes, sequel. I kinda think that a sequel isn't really necessary in the case of this book, but as of now (not having read it), I suppose it's nice to see what's going to happen to the characters. I'm still debating the pros and cons of getting the trade paperback. At the moment, it's unlikely that I'm going to get it.

Yeah, I think Kaylin kinda annoyed me. Not sure why anymore, but she did. Main characters usually do, unless they're extremely well written. I can't think of any main characters who don't annoy me most of the time, actually.

NightIntent
Captain

Lainy122

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:46 pm

lol! Yeah, I hear that. I think authors often try too hard to make the main character likable in order to make the audience relate to them, and as a result, most of the time people dont really like them at all.

Supporting characters are nearly always much more interesting *g*
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:10 am

Yep. They certainly are. Except then we don't find out as much about them as I'd like, and it's disappointing sometimes. Sometimes the main characters are likeable enough, and they just do too many stupid things. That's a bit better than an annoying main character, I think.

NightIntent
Captain

ValHallaGirl

Kitten

12,450 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:10 pm

the next book cast in courtlight was a bit hard for me to get into at first
but it still is a good book
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Mmkay, I finally got around to reading Cast in Courtlight. It's better than the first one, I think, and more straightforward. I wish she would go more in-depth into the dragons' personalities, because the only sense I could get of their personalities was pretty much what the author said. At least for this one; I don't really remember about the first one. I really wish Tiamaris was in this one. The only time his name was even in it was in references to the first book.

NightIntent
Captain

angelic5252

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:34 pm

I really liked both both books. It was kinda confusing, but i really like both books!
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games