Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Need help with my tarot studies Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annalixa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:10 am
As far as Kabbalistic methods go, you might want to pick yourself up a copy of Crowley's Thoth deck, just to study with. It has some small (though significant) variations from the RWS deck, with more of a focus on astrology and the Tree of Life. Beyond that, I don't know of any good sources to recommend except maybe Crowley's accompanying book The Book of Thoth (which might or might not mention Kabbalah per se, but it IS a companion to the Thoth deck). Someone else will have to step up on the Kabbalah/Qabalah front.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:33 am
The Book of Thoth most definately references Kabbalah. And about a million other things, but I digress. Crowley's deck is symbolically dense in the same way as the event horizon of a black hole. Using his attributions and interpretations alone, you're looking at very exhaustive work. When I got my Vertigo tarot set, I put the Thoth deck away and haven't touched it since. They're great cards, but until you're well versed in a more basic deck I'd suggest leaving it alone.

There are plenty of easier to use decks that are suggested for use in Hermetic magic, say nothing about basic divinatory purposes. But if you do get a Thoth deck, get the book too. You'll need it.

Of course independent of the specific tarot attributions, The Book of Thoth is a master work that touches on Crowley's most lucid and important thoughts about magic, including his definition of magic that pretty much every notable contemporary occult author references. Like Grant Morrison says, he's the Picasso of magic.  

Gideon Starorzewski

Annalixa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:14 am
Thanks, Gideon. I have to say, I do own the Thoth deck, but not the Book of Thoth. redface As a deck it has a steep learning curve, though I've found that my previous studies in astrology have lessened that curve somewhat. I recommended the Thoth deck because it's the only one I can think off of the top of my head with an explicit focus on the Kabbalah/Qabalah.

ETA:

You might want to look here, too--

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=85  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:07 am
Mark Patrick Hederman's book 'Tarot; Talisman or Taboo?: Reading the World As Symbol' is a wonderful read from the Jungian point of view.  

ShadowSharrow

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:34 am
Annalixa
Thanks, Gideon. I have to say, I do own the Thoth deck, but not the Book of Thoth. redface As a deck it has a steep learning curve, though I've found that my previous studies in astrology have lessened that curve somewhat. I recommended the Thoth deck because it's the only one I can think off of the top of my head with an explicit focus on the Kabbalah/Qabalah.

That's fine, I'm sure plenty of other people don't. It's a useful resource for getting to the bottom of all the symbolism involved, because the little booklet that comes in the pack is just the cliff's notes. There's a specific chart in the back of the book that shows all the correspondences on the Tree of Life, as well as the zodiac and several other systems. Just remember kids, Crowley hated the Jews so he pretended Kabbalah really came from Egypt. It didn't.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff