Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
The Start of Romance?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who are the characters?
  Alanna and Jon
  Sandry and Briar (ew!!!)
  Harry and GInny
  James and Lilly
View Results

kanani_star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:23 pm
Okay so this was a school assignment for American Sign Language.... Don't ask unless you want to know. Comments are welcomed. Tell me if you think I could improve anything. Thanks.
Oh, and see if you can guess the Characters and what it's based off of. mrgreen

The walls were covered with books. All of them different colors and sizes. There were shelves lined with books so small you needed special equipment to read them. Then there were shelves lined with books so huge that you needed three people to move them and a whole table to place it on. And then, of course, there were books of every size in-between these two extremes.
The library was very large, taking up two stories of the school. It was comprised of smaller rooms so that the patrons could read in peace when they found a book. These rooms also had books within them of certain genres such as plants, animals, history and so forth.
Though the main library’s floor was covered in a dark gray carpet, the smaller rooms floor’s were hardwood floors. The small rooms all had tables and chairs that the patrons could use to study for school or just for one’s own research. Fireplaces were also available for the cold winter months to keep the patrons warm.
In one of the small rooms a fire burned brightly in its brick housing. The firelight casting long shadows around the room where its light could not penetrate or reach. The flames jumping from the logs that gave them life, first blue, then orange and finally, before reaching the end of their jump, turning a bright yellow. A brown arm chair had been placed close to the fire so that the occupant could receive both the light and warmth offered by the fire.
The occupant was a young woman wearing an emerald green sweater, a headband that matched the green of the sweater, and a white wool skirt that reached the top of her black boots. She wore such warm clothing to hold off the winter’s cold that had slipped past the fire’s warmth. Her hair was the same color as the flames during the middle of their jump away from the logs. Her round checks had become a light pink from sitting close to the warm fire and though her face still had some of the fat of adolescence, it had a look of maturity. Her bright green eyes moved back and forth quickly as they took in the words that filled the pages of her book.
The book itself was placed in her lap over her hands in an attempt to keep them as warm as possible. The book was leather and was dark brown, almost black, in color. Stains from previous readers covered the leather, adding to its dark color. The book’s pages were yellowed with age, and had started to become brittle, so that the reader took great care not to crack or break the pages when she turned them.
Further back from the fire, observing the young woman in the chair, was a young man. He was about as tall as the shelves that he was hiding behind, about 6 feet. He was dressed in navy blue pants and a royal purple wool shirt. His hair was an unkempt mess as usual, even with his best attempts to make it look controlled. His face was thin, because unlike the young woman, he had lost all of his adolescent fat. His eyes were partially hidden by the glare from the fire on his glasses, but still some hazel shone through, along with a mischievous look. The rims around the glass lenses made his face look mysterious in the darkness because of their black color. His cheeks were slightly pink, not because of the warmth of the fire, but because of the cold air in the library.
He took a book off the shelf that was bound in dark red cloth. He opened it quietly and skimmed through the pages, unlike the tenderness of the young women, and then replaced it back on the shelf. Moving one aisle closer to the young women he repeated this step on with three books instead of one. It was then that one side of his mouth turned up in a mischievous smile.
He tenderly took a step towards the arm chair, placing some of his weight on the foot to see if the old, warn floor board would make a sound. When it did not, he put all of his weight on it and then moved the other foot. Then repeating this process he moved until he was right next to the arm chair.
He leaned towards the young woman’s cheek to give it a kiss. Instead he was met with the palm of her hand forcing his face away from hers. She briefly glared at him, gave his face once final shove and returned to reading.
After the final shove, he ran back to his room to gloat over his “kiss” with his friends.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:02 pm
It's cool! When will you say who they are?  

greenphoenixrain

Invisible Explorer

10,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50

kanani_star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:22 pm
greenphoenixrain
It's cool! When will you say who they are?

Most likely after a few weeks has past and people have gotten a chance to read and vote on who they think it is.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:42 pm
Great story with excellent description. (I feel cold now!!!!) Will you develop it to something longer?
Was the description the sign language assignment?  

Lady Pole
Crew

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:56 pm
Great details! I liked this, but I totally couldn't see any of Tamora Pierce's characters in here.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:14 pm
Lady Pole
Great story with excellent description. (I feel cold now!!!!) Will you develop it to something longer?
Was the description the sign language assignment?

I might do something longer, like adding what the guy says to his friends, or how he got there. And maybe the girls true reaction. wink
Yes the description was the ASL assignment.

Lhia_Dunwaith
Great details! I liked this, but I totally couldn't see any of Tamora Pierce's characters in here.

Yeah I know. I was just trying to trick people by using the names of charaters that had the same basic description. But as I thought about it I realized that Alanna and Jon wouldn't act like this and I really don't like the Circle gang as couples sooo, I guess that just leaves James and Lily and Harry and Jinny.  

kanani_star

dead threads - do not post

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff