Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Beginner's Running Program -- There's Hope! :D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I'm going to try this, are you?
  YES~! :D
  No. Not the program for me. ):
  I'll consider...
View Results

Moonecho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:35 pm
This text was written by KaseyBaby in the Fitness and Health Guild, but it applies to this guild, as well, so I copied and edited some (to personalize it to you and me. (: ) and am re-posting it here for you all! I haven't edited the program or facts in any way, shape, or form.

This running program is from the book Running Fit by Jamie Baird.

It is an 8 week program based for people who can not run much at all (it says for those who can not run longer then 30 minutes, yet the first couple of weeks you're running only a few minutes at a time).

So if you are very unfit and want to get into running, this is will help.

There are three days to a running week, spread them around so you have at least on day of rest between each run.

For example...

Monday - Run
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Run
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Run
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

It also reccomends to do stretching after every session plus weight train when you can to help build muscle and loose weight (if that is what you are running for).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:36 pm
Towards the last few weeks, it may seem that the time you run jumps up quite a bit (ie. Week 8 from 20 minutes to 30 minutes).

But because you are doing 2-3 bouts of the run, it is increasing your fitness already. Such as day 1 and 2 of week 8 you are running a total of 40 minutes, then on day 3, you only run 30 minutes.

So persevere and see how you go, I'm having a go at it too, so you won't be alone (my aim is to be able to run for 30 min by the end of the year and hopefully this 8 week program will help me do that).

I do try what I post here, so if you want any help, advice or support, post or pm me and I'll try to help you out.

Moonecho

Moonecho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:37 pm
So here's the Eight-Week program! I'm gonna do it!

I'm crossing off the days as I do them, you should do it, too!

Week 1
Day 1 - 1 minute run, 4 minute walk x 4
Day 2 - 1 minute run, 4 minute walk x 5
Day 3 - 2 minute run, 3 minute walk x 4

Week 2

Day 1 - 2 minute run, 3 minute walk x 5
Day 2 - 2.5 minute run, 2.5 minute walk x 5
Day 3 - 3 minute run, 2 minute walk x 5

Week 3
Day 1 - 3 minute run, 2 minute walk x 6
Day 2 - 3.5 minute run, 1.5 minute walk x 5
Day 3 - 4 minute run, 1 minute walk x 5

Week 4
Day 1 - 4 minute run, 1 minute walk x 6
Day 2 - 6 minute run, 2 minute walk x 4
Day 3 - 6 minute run, 1 minute walk x 4

Week 5
Day 1 - 8 minute run, 2 minute walk x 2
Day 2 - 8 minute run, 1 minute walk x 3
Day 3 - 10 minute run, 2 minute walk x 2

Week 6
Day 1 - 10 minute run, 1 minute walk x 3
Day 2 - 12 minute run, 2 minute walk x 2
Day 3 - 12 minute run, 1 minute walk x 2

Week 7
Day 1 - 15 minute run, 2 minute walk x 2
Day 2 - 15 minute run, 1 minute walk x 2
Day 3 - 18 minute run, 2 minute walk x 2

Week 8
Day 1 - 20 minute run, 2 minute walk x 2
Day 2 - 20 minute run, 1 minute walk x 2
Day 3 - 30 minute run

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:30 am
oooh. this is helpful. i do enjoy running. i'm not sure that i will start running right at the moment because my joints are kind of ouch.  

Aeren
Crew

Lord Sutekh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:33 am
I can't run in the cold... asthma..... breathing is a nessecity for life.. xp domokun  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:59 pm
Would it be possible for it to be done inside on a treadmill or something?

It's kind of cold out there now.

...and I ahve this treadmill that's just collecting dust.

Faerlie

Tiny Kitten

11,600 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100

Moonecho

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:28 pm
It probably wouldn't be quite as effective, but the proportions would work nicely. 30m on a treadmill is easier than 30m outside, but then again, you'd be conditioning for the 30m on a treadmill instead of 30m outside, so it'd work, I do believe. It couldn't hurt..  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:26 am
I think I'll try it but if it starts getting too cold I don't think I can finish it. But hey one week on the program is better than none at all right?  

Sarena128

Emarii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:14 pm
I used this system a long time ago, it's great!

You don't notice the changes until you're running 10x longer!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:49 pm
Ahh man, I wanna try this...but I dont really have time cause I work ALL THE TIME....and I dont have anywhere that I can run...my neighborhood sucks!  

SquishyAngeh

Moonecho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:22 pm
    Moon Says:

» » » Even down the street helps. If you can spare a half hour from your life, three times a week, you will find not only your body slimming down, but it reduces stress and tension in the mind, as well.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:54 pm
I wouldnt run on my street, ONLY cause my neighbor is a jerk, and everytime we go outside he yells at us about something stupid like how our lawn is 2 inches to long....and he seriously makes me MORE stressed out...so I became a hermit because of him....

But once I get my license Im gunna run the lake, we have a beautiful lake in my town, and everyone loves to walk it or run it...and I will definatly do that within the next few months when I finally get my license...I even have my own truck...LOL

I cant wait!  

SquishyAngeh

SilverShinku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:30 pm
Today, for the first time in quite a while, I walked my dog out side for about 15 minuets? I don't know. partial of it was running the larger majority of it was walking though.

I'm glad I found this, especially after deciding that I was going to walk every weekday after school. Now I can try to incorporate this plan into my exercise. Yay. Good luck to us all that are working on this. 3nodding heart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:27 pm
I should really start this program...At school I can pass the fitness test, but barely.... xD its 12 mins of solidrunning--15 laps of two gyms (6-7 volleyball courts I think), i do get like 20 mins of walking in a day though..(to the bus stop..homefrom the bus stop xDDD)

But there would be No way for me to do this outside with out freezing... TO THE TREADMILL pirate  

spiitze

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games