Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Holidays v. Holy Days Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:31 am
I'm thinking of celebrating The Heliogenna this year. One of the people on HellenicPagan came up with it as a new Hellenic festival, and it seems like a good one.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:46 am
TeaDidikai
VisasMarr
In particular the Winter and Summer Solstices. I only acknowledge them now, I don't do anything out of the ordinary.
How do you acknowledge them?

I get up early (with the sun), and I stay awake for all the light hours (obviously in the winter this isn't hard razz ). I tend to take a walk in the wooded areas of the city (Edmonton has many beautiful parks). I usually have some sort of libation (last year [winter] I did three shots of almond liquer [yummy]). I also do a lot of reflection. The solstices are days I always do at least one tarot reading too. Other than that I go to work like normal (if I work), do all the normal things. So in general they are pretty regular days.  

VisasMarr

Pelta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:36 pm
VisasMarr
TeaDidikai
VisasMarr
In particular the Winter and Summer Solstices. I only acknowledge them now, I don't do anything out of the ordinary.
How do you acknowledge them?

I get up early (with the sun), and I stay awake for all the light hours (obviously in the winter this isn't hard razz ). I tend to take a walk in the wooded areas of the city (Edmonton has many beautiful parks). I usually have some sort of libation (last year [winter] I did three shots of almond liquer [yummy]). I also do a lot of reflection. The solstices are days I always do at least one tarot reading too. Other than that I go to work like normal (if I work), do all the normal things. So in general they are pretty regular days.
When I was in San Francisco for the Solstice this summer I wandered through the park on my own in the brilliant sunshine. I gave a water libation to guardian trees and saw all sorts of naturey stuff. It was really great, though a tad lonely. I later went and sat with a whole bunch of random hippies on a hill and got serenaded by a stranger. Cool. He was a wannabe-Dylan who improvised musical poetry about my face being like magical sun/starshine. He was kinda cute too...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:57 pm
Nuri
I'm thinking of celebrating The Heliogenna this year. One of the people on HellenicPagan came up with it as a new Hellenic festival, and it seems like a good one.

This sounds wonderful. I've actually been thinking about honoring Helios this winter solstice. I wonder if there's a corresponding summer solstice celebration?  

midara the happy banshee

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:22 am
midara the happy banshee
Nuri

This sounds wonderful. I've actually been thinking about honoring Helios this winter solstice. I wonder if there's a corresponding summer solstice celebration?

If there is, Hector hasn't written it yet smile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:52 pm
*blinks*
Isn’t every day holy? Aren’t they important steps on our journey of life?

Seriously, I don’t personally hold any day holy over another. I do how ever love to have a good time. I love Christmas because it is fun. I like Halloween because I get to look like a freak if I want and I can pass if off as just that time of year. Every day is wonderful in it’s way but the ones where you have having too much fun are even better.  

catofsilence

250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:46 pm
catofsilence
*blinks*
Isn’t every day holy?
To me? No.
I know it is popular amongst the neo-pagan scene to treat everything as sacred and holy- but the fact of the matter is that some days are more special than others.

These days spark and crackle with an energy that sets them apart.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:24 pm
TeaDidikai
catofsilence
*blinks*
Isn’t every day holy?
To me? No.
I know it is popular amongst the neo-pagan scene to treat everything as sacred and holy- but the fact of the matter is that some days are more special than others.

These days spark and crackle with an energy that sets them apart.
I know Unitarian ministers are fond of instructing that every day is sacred, but I think that's more of a reminder that no day should be taken for granted rather than an affirmative "every day is holy." At least, that's how I take it--I wouldn't want to put words in their mouths. And if that's so, they're being sloppy, which bothers me, but I do appreciate the reminder.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:19 pm
TheDisreputableDog
I know Unitarian ministers are fond of instructing that every day is sacred, but I think that's more of a reminder that no day should be taken for granted rather than an affirmative "every day is holy." At least, that's how I take it--I wouldn't want to put words in their mouths. And if that's so, they're being sloppy, which bothers me, but I do appreciate the reminder.

They are being sloppy.

Let's examine this for just a moment.

According to Merriam Webster-
Holy:
1 : exalted or worthy of complete devotion...

Sacred:
1 a : dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity...

Exalt:
1 : to raise in rank, power, or character

To set apart or exalt, there must be a baseline for to measure by. Without "normal" days, there cannot be "Holy Days".  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff