Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Lymphedema

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:45 pm
I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm trying to help create a little awareness. I think I posted a topic like this a long while ago, so please don't smite me. gonk

LYMPHEDEMA FACT SHEET

idea There are between two and eight million lymphedema sufferers in the U.S.

idea Lymphedema is a swelling of a limb or part of the body that is caused by a functional inability of the lymphatic system to transport intercellular lymphatic fluid back to the circulatory system.

idea Lymphedema can affect the arms, legs, breast, back, abdomen, groin, genitalia and/or internal organs.

idea Congenital (primary) lymphedema is caused by a malformed lymphatic system and can be present at birth, develop at puberty, or onset in later years. exclaim This is the kind Dragon has in her right leg

idea Secondary lymphedema can be caused by trauma to the lymphatic system, disease/infection, or parasites.

idea Secondary lymphedema is common as a result of cancer treatment (breast, prostate, reproductive, melanoma) or as a result of vein harvesting for coronary arterial by-pass operations.

idea Treatment procedures have been developed in Europe over the last 30 years, but have only been accepted by American medicine the last 10 years.

idea The current standard of treatment for lymphedema is called "complex or complete decongestive therapy" and has been the recommended protocol in Europe since 1995 (International Society of Lymphology) and in the U.S. since 1998 (American Cancer Society Lymphedema Workshop).
Complex Decongestive Therapy (CDT) is a multi-modal treatment that comprises ALL of the following modalities:

Manual lymph drainage

Compression therapy (bandage systems, compression garments, manually-adjustable compression devices)

Lymph stimulating exercises while under compression

Meticulous skin care

idea Today there are a number of schools that train medical practitioners in the protocols of CDT, and there is now a certification agency (LANA) that sets minimum training criteria.

idea Pneumatic compression pumps may be beneficial as an adjunct to CDT but should never be used in its absence.

idea Medicare has no national medical policy for the treatment of lymphedema and routinely denies coverage for the treatment components.

idea Some states have lymphedema treatment policies and will cover manual lymph drainage, but only as rehabilitative physical therapy and not as medical treatment.

idea Many patients have had Medicare denials for compression bandage systems and compression garments reversed by Medicare Administrative Law Judges, but only after many expensive appeals.

idea Treatment of lymphedema has been shown to reduce and eliminate the incidence of infection (cellulitis and lymphangitis) encouraged by stagnant lymph.

idea It can be demonstrated that proper treatment of lymphedema and compliance by patients with the daily protocols is not only good medicine, but it is good business (i.e., reducing or eliminating hospital stays by preventing recurrent infections).

idea There is a need for basic research into the lymphatic system, its functioning, pathologies, genetics and treatment.

idea There is a crying need to educate the medical community, medical insurance community and the public on the current medical standard of treatment of lymphedema.

This and more information found at National Lymphedema Network  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:21 pm
Is this really the place for this?  

TeaDidikai

P0iS0N3D BY LUST

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:03 am
I HAVE THAT! In my armpit. My lymph nodes are soooooooo swollen and painful. My doctor says that nothing is wrong with me and that its normal. Its been this way for two months though! *Cries*  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:17 pm
Please note that one symptom does not make a disease.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:26 pm
P0iS0N3D BY LUST
I HAVE THAT! In my armpit. My lymph nodes are soooooooo swollen and painful. My doctor says that nothing is wrong with me and that its normal. Its been this way for two months though! *Cries*
It wouldn't be one lymph node. It would be the entire limb. Yours sounds more like an infection in your lymph nodes.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Is this really the place for this?

That's what I was wondering.  

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:35 pm
Somehow, this stayed under my radar.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items