Submit

Annoyed?
  yes
  no
  Not with gold i'm not XD
View Results

nacom202

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:46 am
Truthfully, I'm effin annoyed with people who think that there are VERY limited asians out there.

the first thing people call me when they see me : CHinese.

the next : Japanese

and then comes :

Korean, Thailand and that's about it. FOUR countries that they can think of. And it's mostly Americans that get it wrong. And when they tried to imitate us by pulling their eyes back to slits or saying stuff like "ching chang chong" or whatever, that annoys the heck out of me beacuse that's not true. NONE of that is true! Unless u really do have slit eyes....nothing against u, just that they think everybody has eyes like that....

Actually, not many (until this year with a record of 5/50 people guessing that I'm Vietnamese) really ask what you are. they just go right up and say,"Yo! Chinese girl!"

I just don't answer them! If some other kid goes,"they're talking to you"

I just tell them right back,"I'm not Chinese, so I don't know who THEY'RE calling"

PLus, about the small eyes thing, lots and lots of Asians have big eyes! I'm not bragging or trying to be conceited, but mine are big! And so are Vicki Zhao Wei's, Chen QIao En's (my siggy), and many other people that you might happen to know.

Do you guys ever feel this way?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:48 am
Hmm...that doesn't happen to me but I can imagine how annoying that would be. confused
Though I do get annoyed when ppl call me Indian and Flip...but they usually get Viet by the second or third try.  

Laughing Platypus

Kuroi Kohhi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:37 am
i dont know i sometimes find it hard to distinguish but u shouldnt be all upset anger is bad u should always just be like no i am this or what not  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:10 pm
There are lots of topics about this already, so I'm not sure if the guild moderators will do something about it, but I don't find a problem with it otherwise.

The generalization is another reason I dislike the term "Oriental", because the term Oriental typically refers to Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese, right? And you're right, not all Asians have tiny eyes, the Asian eye comes in all shapes and sizes. To avoid offense, I even don't ask other Asians what country they're from unless they want to tell me, but it is only natural, I suppose, for non-Asians to think that most Asians are from those countries since a mass majority of people from those countries immigrated to America. Especially the Chinese. Where I live, Asians are apparently all "Chinese" despite the growing Japanese and East Indian population. Heck, another East Indian boy in my class was annoyed with another girl who said he was Chinese just because of the way his eyes were shaped. He seemed really irritated by it and flatly told her that just because his eyes looked like that, it didn't mean he was Chinese. I don't blame him for being annoyed.

When I was younger, people used to to the "Chinese, Japanese" thing where they pulled back their eyes, but once I got older it seems like nobody cares anymore, and it's kind of nice. Where I live, most people really don't care what you are, whether you're a nerd or an Asian or whatever. A lot of this kind of thing is just from stereotyping, but since a lot of people do it it would be pointless to be angry about it all the time. It'd be better to just tell people that not all Asians are the same and to tell them calmly what you are. Maybe you could get them interested in your culture, too.

Ouiaboo

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff