Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Click here if you love star trek!
  Beam Me Up!
View Results

Da Jeans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 am
YourAzureGoddess
I think part of the problem is the expectation of what people are and are not supposed to do.

I think part of the problem is that TRekkies (and "nerds") have a more expanded imagination than other people. The people around you are expecting you shouldn't keep your head in the clouds, you should focus on things that are more "real" such as soap opera and sports and the sitcoms everyone else watches - the probelem is that sports and soap opera and the like are actually just fantasies for people who can't dream beyond thier own front door. How many high school football p[layers actually make it into the NFL? How many high school cheerleaders live a life like those seen on popular sitcoms? Very very few, but because it's an easy dream to capture alot of people buy into it.

Star Trek is something that goes beyond the easy. We know now that we're not getting into space on a Galaxy class startship anytime soon, but we can trust that sooner or later things will look up to a brighter future (hey, they got communicators right, didn't they?)

If people laugh at you because you're a nerd, tell them that actually you're a very normal, wonderful person, and you aren't scared to dream farther than they can. smile
A+  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:06 pm
I try to explain to a lot of people that I love Star Trek because of its corny originality. Its a good show because it's so bad that it's ******** awesome! XD Not only that but Star Trek actually developed a lot of technologies that we have today (meaning they thought of them first) and I watch for innovations that were ahead of their time. People are always shocked when I tell them that those doors aren't automatic, that someone actually had to push them shut, that general computer designs were taken out of Star Trek, not placed in it as well as the concept of flat screen T.V.'s. It's just so remarkable how much Star Trek changed the world.  

Miss Mangie

Shirtless Fatcat

Leila Amra Drake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:06 pm
Yes, they were the ones who introduced the term "black star" first which became very popular as the infamous blak holes we all know.

... Do you know "The Physics of Star Trek"?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:00 pm
Stereotypes, false impressions, bad experiences, misinformation, need to conform, elitism, arrogance, take your pick.

Common reasons why anyone will say something positive or negative about anything whether it be a person, car, organization, or belief. Star Trek is no different.

I can perform an 81 move Black Belt form (out of many forms) with precision and can spew out technical data about the Enterprise with equal precision and proud of it. My simple response to anyone who think's I'm too much of a nerd is a simple "That's nice."  

Frogr1701

Miss Mangie

Shirtless Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:21 pm
Leila Amra Drake
Yes, they were the ones who introduced the term "black star" first which became very popular as the infamous blak holes we all know.

No I've never heard of it
What is it exactly?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:11 pm
Miss Mangie
Leila Amra Drake

No I've never heard of it
What is it exactly?

It's a book. Explains the science fact and fiction of Star Trek. Well, more too it than that. That's the capsule review.

I owned it several years back. No, wait, I think I just borrowed it.  

Matt Pniewski

Son Of No Man

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:47 am
Well, now that the new movie is out and got excellent reviews, a lot of Star Trek fans should be able to come out of the "Star Trek Closet" and not have to worry about it anymore...I love Star Trek, I wear my TOS Tunic T-Shirt out in public and at school (ThinkGeek one) and I haven't had any problems.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:28 pm
Maybe since nobody wants to be a nerdy social outcast they thought Star Trek would make them that way since a lot of them like the show. I'm a Geek and proud of it.  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items