Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Druid Orders

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Leahandra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:20 pm
I have been looking into several druid orders, like the American Order of Ancient Druids, and have been debating wether or not to join. I have been studying Druidry for several years, but it might be nice to have some "formal" education, or mentorship. The problem I've encountered is the widely varying belief systems and education programs.

So, have any of you heard, or participated in any programs which were good or bad? Think that I should take the risk and send in my money and application? What's the worst that could happen, right? I waste some money or perhaps I gain the enlightenment I've been searching for.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:37 am
There are no Druids anymore.

At best these groups are misappropriating a title in order to garner more recognition for their practice- recognition that is unearned. At worst- they are delusional and guilty of celtsploitation.

My advice is to skip claiming a title you have no right to.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:50 am
Leahandra
I have been looking into several druid orders, like the American Order of Ancient Druids, and have been debating wether or not to join. I have been studying Druidry for several years, but it might be nice to have some "formal" education, or mentorship. The problem I've encountered is the widely varying belief systems and education programs.

So, have any of you heard, or participated in any programs which were good or bad? Think that I should take the risk and send in my money and application? What's the worst that could happen, right? I waste some money or perhaps I gain the enlightenment I've been searching for.

No. The worst that can happen is that the Celtic Gods see that you're claiming to be a druid and, rather than finding your claims ridiculous and laughable, they find it offensive and ignorant. Having done so, they then evoke their sense of justice upon you, or worse yet, your family..

What right do you have to assume the title Druid?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:22 am
Leahandra

Other than what Reagun said would be the worst, there is also the mark of the Fluffy.  

jaden kendam

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:34 am
deadmanjake

Other than what Reagun said would be the worst, there is also the mark of the Fluffy.
My branding iron broke when I went after the "G~ Witch" who celebrated KN. rolleyes

I expect to have it fixed in a week.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:36 pm
TeaDidikai
deadmanjake

My branding iron broke when I went after the "G~ Witch" who celebrated KN. rolleyes

I expect to have it fixed in a week.

Well, I would have let you borrow mine, except I nearly broke it over someones head in the suicide thread.  

jaden kendam

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 pm
On top of the general fraudulant claims of Druid titles, many of those organizations are just plain scams out for your money. When I was a kid my mom didn't want to drive me to the Pagan group I wanted to attend, so she signed me up for the ADF's study-at-home program. I believed that the ADF was the least insane "Druid" organization. I don't think it was harmful to me in the long run, but it sure didn't get me any closer to being a "Druid."  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:43 pm
[Kudzu]
On top of the general fraudulant claims of Druid titles, many of those organizations are just plain scams out for your money. When I was a kid my mom didn't want to drive me to the Pagan group I wanted to attend, so she signed me up for the ADF's study-at-home program. I believed that the ADF was the least insane "Druid" organization. I don't think it was harmful to me in the long run, but it sure didn't get me any closer to being a "Druid."

/me huggles teh kudzu.
OBOD are a bit more sane and a bit less sane, so on average the same amount of sane.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:54 pm
[Kudzu]
On top of the general fraudulant claims of Druid titles, many of those organizations are just plain scams out for your money.

In college I mentioned to an older pagan friend I was considering joining the OBOD because I was desperate to know something from some reputable authority. He brought me the first couple of their books.

...I knew it all already. I was so crushed. And I saved my money... which is just as well, given I was Asatru a year or so later.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:56 pm
Deoridhe
...I knew it all already. I was so crushed. And I saved my money... which is just as well, given I was Asatru a year or so later.

You expect them to publish their stuff?
No no, those are tenth degree secrets.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:59 pm
reagun ban
Deoridhe

You expect them to publish their stuff?

If I'm shelling out $30 a month, yes. Hel, for less than that I can join the Clergy Program with Ring of Troth and get loads of help.

reagun ban
No no, those are tenth degree secrets.

rolleyes *beats with sticks*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:11 pm
reagun ban
Kudzu
I believed that the ADF was the least insane "Druid" organization.

/me huggles teh kudzu.
OBOD are a bit more sane and a bit less sane, so on average the same amount of sane.

wink Insane like a fox with a mouth full of kittens!!!  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:54 am
[Kudzu]
reagun ban
Kudzu
I believed that the ADF was the least insane "Druid" organization.

/me huggles teh kudzu.

wink Insane like a fox with a mouth full of kittens!!!
And a pocket full of eggs!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff