Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
'Harry Potter' as viewed by Pagans and/or Wiccans Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:33 am
Henry Dorsett Case
missmagpie
Oooh, there's one point nobody's mentioned: How the word "muggle" entered the pagan vocabulary after the publication of HP. You feel a bit dirty after saying it, but it still serves as a term for non-magic-users which was kinda lacking before.
Strangely enough, the only times I use the word "muggle" are when discussing Harry Potter or Geocaching. But that's just me.

I do not use that in every day life, and I barely use it when talking about Harry Potter. The people who use that seriously need to get a life. I am guessing that the ones who use it are probably fluffy bunnies or they just think they are better than people who do not use magic. I am sure they would call me a muggle as well because I do not cast spells.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:40 am
deadmanjake
I do not use that in every day life, and I barely use it when talking about Harry Potter. The people who use that seriously need to get a life. I am guessing that the ones who use it are probably fluffy bunnies or they just think they are better than people who do not use magic. I am sure they would call me a muggle as well because I do not cast spells.
I call you a muggle because you're not in the woods with a GPS unit trying to find a medicine bottle so you can sign a piece of paper and say you found it.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:14 pm
missmagpie
Oooh, there's one point nobody's mentioned: How the word "muggle" entered the pagan vocabulary after the publication of HP. You feel a bit dirty after saying it, but it still serves as a term for non-magic-users which was kinda lacking before.
I hate the term.

It is arrogent, inaccurate and asinine to assume that the opposite of "pagan" is "muggle".

My Nana has more mystic insight in her pinky than 99% of the pagans I know and she is very much a Christian.

Not only does the application ring false, it smacks of bigotry.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:28 pm
I consider "muggle" on the same as "mundane," which was it's predecessor - lame. Doing magic, be it spellwork or witchery or energy work, isn't something special; I've yet to meet someone who can't, and honestly as magic goes I'm near the bottom of the pyramid, not the top. Any sort of arbitrary "cool"/"not cool" designation based on anything magical or religious strikes me as inherently unecessary.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Boadicia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:35 pm
Harry Potter is simply storytelling and entertainment. To me, at least, it has no religious connotation. Those who make such a stink about HP probably still tell their children stories about Cinderella and her "Fairy Godmother."  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 pm
Boadicia
Those who make such a stink about HP probably still tell their children stories about Cinderella and her "Fairy Godmother."
Except many (mostly influenced through the New Age Movement) consider "Fairys" to be "Minor Angels". ~Spits and shudders~

That aside, such would not violate religious prohibitions the way other "familiar spirits" would.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces