Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
there no such thing as Christian rock, rap, etc.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am i crazy ?
  yes
  no
View Results

Pippi_ashley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:47 pm
contemporary christian music is just wrong ;P
read my journal, plz...  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:28 pm
I disagree. Pop music, maybe. But Jazz? R&B? The verse you gave in your journal is very vague. I like to play jazz on my piano, but do I do it because everyone (non-christians) are doing it. Absolutly not. My old youth pastor put together a presentation about christian music and how it's changed. It definately got me thinking about whether I was listening to christian music because I wanted to praise God or I just wanted to listen to the melody.

I do think that some "christian" music is over the top (if you know what I mean). I don't think rap is bad (it's just talking really fast lol ), it just depends on what your rapping about.  

jjean

Erica Leonhart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:03 pm
Christian music has changed with worldy music. And this is not a bad thing. When my mom was growing up, she had to fight with the sound of that time period, and the christian music she listens to now is a reflection of that sound, just a godly messege. The same goes for our generation.

Now I don't believe every band that claims to be christian is in fact a christian band. (Just like not eveyone who says "Oh I'm already a Christian!" is one). Some never actually sing about God, they just don't sing about sex, drugs, etc. That's like saying you only have to do good deeds to get to heaven, which isn't true at all.

I dislike screamo... To me, it's not very christian-like and hard to understand in most cases.

As for rap, some of it is fine (tobyMac, KJ-52, John Reuben), but I have read where some of the christian rappers are trying to say there is racism in the christian music community, which is totally untrue. So for that fact I won't be supporting their music, because it seems to me they are trying to start up some trouble, and if they were truely where they needed to be with God, they wouldn't even be offended by the fact someone else makes better sales than them, they should be happy with the fact they're helping to lead people to Christ.

Pop/Rock. Well, this is where a lot of bands who claim to be christians, but are not, can be found. I won't name any of them because I don't wish to start a debate about it, again. I, for one, am not a country music girl. I was always into techno (woo Andy Hunter heart ) and rock. So I am very happy to find real christian artists in these genres.

Techno/dance. I am a big fan here, this is probably my favorite genre in music. I only know of one christian artist though, Andy Hunter heart (If you guys know of any others, do tell).

There are many so-called christian bands I hear a lot of christians and non-christians listening to these days and they are quite popular, but they really don't sing about God, just good morale lifestyles, and as I have already said, I don't think it's truely christian.

Also, I disagree with christians listening to non-christian groups, and there are verses to back this up. Listening to it, is no better than doing it. Music and television, IMHO, are two of the biggest influences.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:16 pm
When I got saved, it was hard for me to not want to listen to rock. Kutless, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, and many more bands led me away from it. If God did not want us to listen to it, he would tell us. I love God, and i love Christian rock! For the first time, i heard christian Rap, and i like it! it is fun and cool! Jesus is #1. If i thought He did not agree with it, i would not listen to it. LIsten to Krystal Meyers. She is one of my favs. All her music is pretty hard-core, and she is 100% Christian. TO teens, contemporary christian, Christian Rock, and even Christian Rap is what leads them to a even closer relationship too God. It did me!

Hope I got the point across! lol In Christ Love,
Ashley  

JesusChick123

Nathan Young

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:30 pm
I disagree! I have seen Christ in some of the loudest bands i've heard. If you have ever heard of Norma Jean, you may know what I mean. They band's name alone stands for "Patterns of God's grace and mercy." It shocks me how this can be, but I still have no objections and actually enjoy the stuff quite a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:18 am
wow. i thought my parents were the only ones who thought that "if your music has a beat then you're gonna end up dead. it doesn't really matter if its christian or not, if its synchopated rythm then your souls gonna rot." [houseplant song its joking btw]
i think you should read these lyrics: free by laudamus
Some might think my hair is too long
Some might fear the beat of this song
So much religion, so many rules
But this is us and we are tools

He calls us to be free
Enjoy that freedom, friends
In time, we all shall see
Where man-made rules end

I might offend you by how I look
But God will not, according to His book
It's by our fruit that we will be judged
To show the world Jesus love

So keep the sheep together
No matter if one's shaved
Cause the wool means nothing
For all Christ came to save

I respect old-fashioned ways
Let's come together in His grace
Lord help us all to understand
How you can use a hard rock band  

saki_hanajima7

mistymorning14

3,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:39 pm
I beg to differ Pippi.

There is such a thing as Christian rock, rap and yes even hard metal head bangin music. I am pulling away from music with bad lyrics like "my humps" and "baby's got back" I now listen to singers like The Newsboys, Apologetixs, Unspoken, DC Talk and many others.

Here are some links to Christian rock songs lyrics.

Newsboys - He Reigns: http://www.metrolyrics.com/he-reigns-lyrics-newsboys.html

Apologetix - The Real Sin Savior (Parody of "The Real Slim Shady" By Eminem)
http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-real-sin-savior-lyrics-apologetix.html

DC Talk - Jesus Freak
http://www.metrolyrics.com/jesus-freak-lyrics-dc-talk.html

Hope this shows my point of view.
Misty  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 pm
Music is a reflection of the soul. It shows your style, what you love.

If you like heavy music, that's cool.
If you like rap, okay.
If you like worship, all good.

What it all comes down to, is what your singing about.
Check out Flyleaf's, "All Around Me".

It's a song about the presence, and while that is one of their slower songs, you can still get the picture.

God wants us to praise Him... I don't think he minds what way we do it in.

x unobstructed pencil x

SailorMoon_MewIchigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:00 am
Christian music has changed with the styles, fads, and times. Most modern teens prefer things like rock and pop, alll around contemporary music, over some of the clasics. Although some of those are awesome, too.

But just because music doesn't match the older or original styles, and may sound like some music that can be found offensive to those who Christian, doesn't mean it can't have a good message. Take Jesus Freak by dcTalk. That whole song is about not being afraid to express your Christianity no matter what others may say, think, or do. Or Never Alone by BarlowGirl. That song says that even if someone else abandons you, that the Lord is still there in your life for you.

But all around, matters such as these all depend on your point of view. I was raised in a non-Christian household, and was saved when I went to to a Christian summer camp. That may mean I grew up having different tastes than someone who came from a strictly Christian family.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 am
If any of you guys like the contemporary christian music go to www.plr.org and click on the listen live button. This is the christian station in my city so they want anyone to listen and they just stream what is on the radio. I love my Cristian Singers like Mercy Me, Kutless, Newsboys, Third Day, and We as Human. All these bands show that worship is what you say not how you say it.  

Toshi Takenuma

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Flatterer 200

Koutsuku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 am
Well, here is what my boyfriend says:

" Music, of *all* kinds, was created for God. The Worship of God specifically. No matter what style, what genre, it was all made for His sake. In heaven, when we are gathered in front of God, we will all be singing the same song, but in different ways."

Revelation 4:8
Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

The Bible says that humans were created to sing a new song.
He gave us free will so that we would have the ability to create *new* music.

God enjoys hearing music that was made for Him, and for His children to be closer to him! ^_^

(One last thing, that my boyfriend always wishes to bring to attention, is Romans chapter 14.
All Christians should remember this Chapter as they speak to other Christians.
Be careful not to condemn another over something as simple as music. ^_^)

God bless you all!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:32 am
I dont think that you are necessarily wrong or right. I go to a christian college and this is actually a popular discussion. When it comes down to it, it is a matter of scruples. If you feel that it is wrong for you than it might be. I however have no qualms and it doesn't say in the Bible that thou shalt not listen to multiple genre music of the christian variety. to me it is no big deal. I wonder, why is it that you dont you think it is ok? There is actually no scriptual basis for your arguement. Really though, you gotta do what you think best.  

IkaruTiger

550 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items