Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Binging problem

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold!
  Yay..?
View Results

Captain Cuddles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:20 pm
Lately, I've been really obsessive about my weight. I've been skipping meals, which I know isn't the smartest thing to do, and I've been counting calories and basically just freaking out when my electric scale says I've gained two pounds. Tonight I had 1 and a half cookies, 2 or three bowls of cereal, milk and orange juice, ice cream, cheese and crackers, an apple, some grapes and a tangerine. Tomorrow I'm even going to a mexican restuarant with my school, and I can never say no to tacos and nachos.
And did I really gain three pounds when I binged? Or is my scale just a retard?

How do I control my binging problem? gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:13 am
You'd have to eat a hell of a lot of food to gain 3lbs in one night.
Your weight reads differently from morning to nightime, I've seen as much a difference as 5lbs.  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Alchemical

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:40 pm
I do that too!

I tell myself I'll make a sandwitch but as i am I'll maybe snack on a piece of wheat bread... And after maybe have some chips, and a popsicle... I feel so bad.

I know that in order to avoid it while I'm at school, because my college is within this large kind of... shopping area place which has coffee shops and a lot of fast food places, I'll bring a snack. Like a bag of nuts and fruit. And I'll bring water so I don't get thristy and get a latte just because I can't say no.

So maybe you need a stricter meal plan that's already laid out? Like a certain kind of meal bar for breakfast, a planned lunch, and the same idea for dinner. It's still difficult to stick to, but it's eaier than just walking into the kitchen and seeing what's avilable.

That's when I over eat. When I'm given too many choices.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:45 am
but that's the good thing about a room mate (or parents i guess)

most of the time, it's just wanting to make food, and lots of it since we're soo used to seeing large portions... just split it with some one, or split it after you make it and put it in the fridge out of eye sight for some other day, or someone else..

i do it, and my room mate loves it b/c she always has dinner when she gets home XD  

Soi Tsuba

hydroh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:24 pm
You could eat all those things throughout the day in really small portions. You shouldn't eat at night, either. surprised
And don't skip meals because that slows down your metabolism.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Thanks, guys 3nodding
But even if I don't skip meals and exercise, my metabolism is naturally slow. Ah, it runs in the genes. xd  

Captain Cuddles

Aeren
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:49 pm
Eating smaller meals throughout the day, and getting adequate calories will help you from feeling starved later on and binging.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:05 pm

I have that problem when i am "making" food. I am waiting for the microwave and i'll grab soem ice cream or something. I have resist the urge to eat when ever I amthe littlest bit bored. Just write down real fast what you will allow yourself as "an extra snack" when you want to binge and mark them off with Xs or checks, a piece of paper in your purse of pocket or bra never is embarressing since no one will see it.

And take a deep breath, you are fabulous even with an extra 3 lbs. biggrin

The Eternal Optimist

hydroh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:04 am
Hmmm.

Well, just keep in mind that you need to eat 3500 calories to gain one pound...So...Just remember to eat small portions, and try not to freak out too much. No one's going to burn you at the steak if you don't loose a gazillion pounds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:25 am
Thanks, guys! heart  

Captain Cuddles

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:26 pm
Eating too few calories slows down your metabolism since your body thinks there is a famine and you might die. If it would help you, you could put serving sizes of food in ziploc baggies and then always have something you can grab. Counting calories and a food journal are great things, but you have to make sure you're not cutting too much.

Hereis a daily calorie requirment measurement. It is just a guide but it will help you see how many calories you need to maintain. Light activity would be office/school most of the day, moderate would be standing/moving work, very active would be like working with lifting and such (I think of barn work) and heavy activity would be like construction (I think) or doing a strenuous sport (when my little brother is in soccer season (university level) he burns a ton of calories each day).

3500 calories is one pound of fat (basically) so to lose 1-2 pounds a week the heathly way you substract 250-500 calories of food from your daily intake and burn 250-500 more a day through exercise. At the end of the week that will add up to 1-2 pounds, yay!

Good luck working through this!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 am
Not many people know this (well, those that I've met), but when you eat very little in a day, your body thinks that you're starving and prepares for famine by holding on to the EVERY PART of whatever little you ate, including all waste products and fat that would normally be gone.

It's better that you not deprive yourself. Deprivation leads to binging.  

Oshii-chan

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games