Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Tony Blair is going and the Conservative conference.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 pm
So, stuff has been happening in politics. It's kinda scary, I mean, Tony Blair has been in charge for most of the years that I have had any political views.

(I do remember being very happy that John Major was going, though I don't know why I could have thought that since I was ten at the time.)

I'm not really a Gordon Brown fan, although I think people are looking more for some stability in an unstable world, whereas in 97 they were looking for change after stagnation.

This is precisely why I'm scared that the Tories could win the next election. I was watching David Cameron's speech and I had to remind myself that I don't support the Conservatives. A foreign girl at work asked me why I was gritting my teeth at the screen and I told her it was because I wouldn't vote tory, but they were doing a damn good job of making me forget why.

P.S- a tree, really? what the ********? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(It leans to the right, lol.)

So, yeah, I'm scared a little bit right now.
Any thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:06 am
You are scared of us? sweatdrop  

Mr. Bono Vox

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:01 pm
Personally I think both New Labour and Conservatism suck serious arse, this, children, is why we vote Lib DemXD But anyway, apart from a few major c**k ups (as in major.... Some litereally tooXD) Blair and New Labour haven't been that bad, I mean, I don't particularly like them, and some stuff has been pretty extreem, but at least they're not like the BNP/UKIP.

Cameron has given some good (for him) speeches at the moment, and they might win the next election, but then again the Tories are turning ever more left sooo....?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 am
Mr. Bono Vox

Scared that her ingrained and irrational Scottish hatred of the blues might be crumbling..

rolleyes  

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:35 am
Lib Dems are not yet a fully-fledged party, and their policy is too-often a joke. Labour have been uncritically supporting a barbaric US administration whilst undermining our civil liberties and our constitution. The Tories look ok but haven't yet given us any policy.

BNP - idiot racists.

UKIP - haven't done their research, and would lead us to poverty.

Greens - cute, but dangerously leftish.

What else is there but to hold your judgment, or lobby the Tories to tell us what they want to do?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:43 am
Quote:
Lib Dems are not yet a fully-fledged party, and their policy is too-often a joke.

I agree, but they were the ones to get us through WWI. I think that it's some of their present members that do not make it as good.

What we need is a new party, one that is leftish with in reason yet have good control over policies. One that is not thoroughly supportive of American administration yet can work with the Americans. A party that can promte the use of green power and recycling etc. without letting the costs run too high.

I could go on, but I shall restrain. However, I don't think the country is quite ready for such an upheaval in the system. Yet.  

Emmanuela

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:59 am
I think I will have to combine my first year as a voter with my first year of apathy.

Alternatively vote for my party, the toga party party. Our slogan is 'You can never have enough nuclear weapons'.

Or, vote for mein buddy over here:
(may take a while to load)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU5aWyK9MRk  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:59 am
Emmanuela
Quote:
Lib Dems are not yet a fully-fledged party, and their policy is too-often a joke.

I agree, but they were the ones to get us through WWI. I think that it's some of their present members that do not make it as good.

What we need is a new party, one that is leftish with in reason yet have good control over policies. One that is not thoroughly supportive of American administration yet can work with the Americans. A party that can promte the use of green power and recycling etc. without letting the costs run too high.

I could go on, but I shall restrain. However, I don't think the country is quite ready for such an upheaval in the system. Yet.

The liberals were a very different political body to the modern Liberal Democrats.

I'm not convinced about leftish, but certainly liberal. What I want to see is the emergence of a liberal-right. That's why I'm tentatively backing Cameron in the hope that once he's in the party will mature into something that can be taken (that I can take?) in a more grounded and practical direction.

In any case, there's no place for the left wing in politics for quite some time. Alas.

Invictus_88
Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:57 pm
Invictus_88
Mr. Bono Vox

Scared that her ingrained and irrational Scottish hatred of the blues might be crumbling..

rolleyes

I want to deny it but I'm not sure I can.

s**t.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:46 am
Hmm.... I just don't like Cameron. In fact I don't particularly like any of the likely candidates. Maybe I'll just do a protest vote and vote greenXD  

Emmanuela

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:14 pm
Emmanuela
Quote:

GAH! That get on my nerves! The Lib Dems are nothing like the old Liberal party and their spurious claim is nothing short of an out right lie. All the Lib Dems are interested in is nannying us all, political correctness and now anti Americanism to capture the Muslim vote.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:03 am
I'm a tory, but only just.

They don't seem very dynamic. None of the parties do.

I want my own party.

Right of centre, ecologically aware, pro-EU but anti EU State, tough on terrorism, tough on America and strongly supportive of the free market. I want a government willing to change our trajectory, we're so bloody bland and our government's actions are either morally suspect, incompetent, or both. Nobody can be poud of anything we've done anymore, nothing for decades of any note. We did more impressive things almost every decade last century than we managed with our Millennium Dome.

Let's be honest, I want Palmerston back.

Invictus_88
Captain

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:01 am
I don't think we're ever going to do anything that impressive again. There doesn't seem to be anything more to do than slip into the grey area between core and semi-periphery.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:27 am
Invictus_88
I'm a tory, but only just.

They don't seem very dynamic. None of the parties do.

I want my own party.

Right of centre, ecologically aware, pro-EU but anti EU State, tough on terrorism, tough on America and strongly supportive of the free market. I want a government willing to change our trajectory, we're so bloody bland and our government's actions are either morally suspect, incompetent, or both. Nobody can be poud of anything we've done anymore, nothing for decades of any note. We did more impressive things almost every decade last century than we managed with our Millennium Dome.

Let's be honest, I want Palmerston back.

I think I can just about forgive you for wanting to vote for Cameron.

I'll definitely vote for you. It could never be worse then Veritas.  

Emmanuela

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games