Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
James 2 (question about faith without deeds)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

>_>
  <_<
  >_<
  <_>
View Results

OnoBoei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:29 pm
Faith and Deeds
14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"[e] and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
------------------------------------------------------
so my question is... prayer is a deed right? coz i'm confused, i guess i have faith, and prayer. but what did this scripture mean about "faith without deeds is dead"? i would like to know what the Bible considers as deeds.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:42 pm
It means that if you say you believe in God and all that, and then purposefully and knowingly go out and do bad things, you're a hyppocrite.

Like a priest who molests children. Now that's hyppocrisy.

The difference between dead faith (faith without deeds) and living faith (faith with deeds) is the difference between just saying the words "I'm sorry." and actually meaning it.

And God always knows when you mean it.  

Captain_Theoretical

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:12 pm
It means you actively have to life it out. Mission work is what church traditionally interpret that as, but it could just be acting as God wants you to or asking someone who is sitting by themselves at lunch to sit with you.

The theme of our youth group my freshman year was Footsteps of Faith. I don't remember theverse but it was something to the affect of...

"My children, what good is it if you have faith but do not have works? Can faith alone save you?"  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:54 pm
It's like the difference between a genuine Christian and a person who calls themself a Christian because they are baptized and go to church on Easter and Christmas. What is the difference between these two Christians? One of them acts on their faith daily, everyday making an effort to dedicate themselves, their works, their words, their thoughts to God and to furthering Jesus' Gospel of love and everlasting life. The other leads an empty life of habitual hypocrisy (nevertheless, I'm sure both are very happy and satisfied with their lives). Like the Steven Curtis Chapman song "Live out Loud" says: Now think about this: if we really have been given the gift of life that'll never end, and if we have been filled with living hope we're gonna overflow, and if God's love is burning in our hearts we're gonna glow- there's just no way to keep it in!"

Faith without works isn't really faith, because even if you have just a mustard seed amount of faith you'll be able to move mountains. With the faith you have in Christ you should be out there doing great things, not sitting paralyzed by fear.

That's what that passage means.

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:20 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
It's like the difference between a genuine Christian and a person who calls themself a Christian because they are baptized and go to church on Easter and Christmas. What is the difference between these two Christians? One of them acts on their faith daily, everyday making an effort to dedicate themselves, their works, their words, their thoughts to God and to furthering Jesus' Gospel of love and everlasting life. The other leads an empty life of habitual hypocrisy (nevertheless, I'm sure both are very happy and satisfied with their lives). Like the Steven Curtis Chapman song "Live out Loud" says: Now think about this: if we really have been given the gift of life that'll never end, and if we have been filled with living hope we're gonna overflow, and if God's love is burning in our hearts we're gonna glow- there's just no way to keep it in!"

Faith without works isn't really faith, because even if you have just a mustard seed amount of faith you'll be able to move mountains. With the faith you have in Christ you should be out there doing great things, not sitting paralyzed by fear.

That's what that passage means.

OML! I love that song! We sang it in my church choir- it rocks so much!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:07 am
Thank you all so much! 3nodding heart  

OnoBoei

Pastor Danielle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:37 am
I am gona say something and just as a warning it might be offensive to some....

James was talking about our hearts, and what we are living for.... Cuase you can do all the deeds you want but if you are only doing them because you are suppose to... or because you know its the right things to do... then its empty.... Its being like the Phariases who only saw the law but not the Spiritual Application.... You know FAITH is so awesome and amazing its what makes us able to really go out there in the Authority of Jesus Christ and Do what needs to be done for the Kingdom of God.... When we have Faith nothing is impossible we do the will of God BECAUSE WE KNOW IN OUR HEARTS AND WE CAN'T KEEP IT IN ANYMORE! Its the Overflow of our Hearts... ITs awsome its what we need.... With out faith we can't even please God, because with out Faith we Doubt the Living God and Put our faith in the Enemy of God.... There are only three things we can have Faith in Folks and thats God, ourselves, and the Enemy.... and according to our Faith our Deeds will be shown for what they are....

James was awesome I love him, becuase he was just so dang blunt about it... yet people still read over it and missed that point... but with God and The Holy Spirit the words become more then words they become food for the soul and they become active for living... its so awesome... Sorry if I am all crazy all over the place I am just so in... ha... *shakes head* ha.... anyways Peace and Love Folken!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:36 pm
I'm trying to figure out which part of your response could have been seen as offensive. confused heart  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:44 pm
To link this into what Jesus said about faith as small as a mustard seed and how it can grow to be one of the largest trees in the garden, and to highlight Paul's mention of spiritual fruits, I would like to give you an image that I have in mind. 3nodding

Think of a tree, whether big, small, narrow, wide, or of a particular kind. The larger and stronger the tree grows, the more bountiful is the fruit that falls from that tree. The same applies to one's faith. The bigger and stronger one's faith is, the more blessing one can give to one's brothers and sisters.

A farmer does not receive fruit and then ask "From where has this come?", for he knows perfectly well that it came from one of his fruitful trees. Even a small tree, if healthy, will produce small fruits. However, a tree that does not produce good fruit is good for nothing.

If you have a gift for prayer, then it is a fruit with which you can bless your brothers and sisters in the church. It is a deed done out of love for one's brothers and sisters. A prayer prayed faithfully requires love and trust in the one God to whom we pray. It is a deed done in line with faith. If it is His will for it to be done, it will be done. Remember what Lord Jesus says about the giving of good gifts to our children, but not only to our children but God's children, for this is how our God treats us! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:50 pm
Great points, Priestly. 3nodding  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Allythea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:02 pm
Ephesians 6:18
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

1 Timothy 2:1
[ Instructions on Worship ] I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone

Matthew 25:35-37 (NIV)
35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

Prayer is very important and I think it always comes before the deeds. Without prayer, our deeds could become fruitless. So after prayerfully submitting yourself to God, He will present you with opportunity to show your faith with deeds which can also bear witness to His love.

P.S.- I love many of the points posted here. Awesome 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 pm
I don't remember the reference, but I think the verse that says If you are a christians then "God will refine your heart with fire and as iron heats up with fire and cleans the infirmities (sin), then God will work through you and clean your heart up (sin). The end result is perfection (IN God). Our sins are already paid for, therefore we are perect in his eyes, because his son Paid the price (Salvation). We must believe with the faith of a musterdseed though. (Enough for peter to walk on water) If you have that much faith, You will be saved for eternity. All you gotta do is get out of the boat and teach others your faith too. That is what they are taking about producing faith and deeds.  

etjustin53

OnoBoei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:41 am
biggrin heart biggrin xd  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:17 pm
It means that God wants you to follow His commands and lead people to His kingdom for His glory. smile

And by commands, I mean commandments, but it means more than that. "The Great Commission" as well. And also... acting in selfless love! heart  

Knatalie9

xxPromarkxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:54 pm
Geez, I need to get on more often. You guys steal all my ideas.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games