Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply Fanworks
OC's in slash Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OC's?
  Love them!
  Hate them!
  Depends!
View Results

Areliana

Rainbow Fairy

10,700 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Pieversity 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:00 pm
only like ocs when approprate... in very AU fics it's sometimes great to have a minor oc, but they totally shouldn't take over the fic.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:30 am
I don't mind OC's if they're well written, but I try and avoid OC romance generally.

I alot tend to be Mary Sue's, which sadly makes me want to vomit.

I do do OC's sometimes, but only as side characters to pad it out.

rabbit sushi

Itachipwnz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:52 pm
I think that just like with anything else, if the writer is good and fic is well written there's no reason why the OC should suck but the temptation is usually to just make them like yourself, and that makes the fic kinda bad. because the other readers really just want to read about characters they know. i've only read one fic with an oc i really liked.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:04 pm
Well it really just depends on the story and the character (its kind of hard to have Blase OC when you know nothing about them). If you have a Draco acting uber nice and frolicking around in a sun dress and it's not meant to be a weird story, yeah it bugs me...and that gave me a weird idea for a fan fic...but really if you think about it, almost all stories you read, you have your characters OC... ninja  

Super Cy

Demoni Nightmare

Rainbow Prophet

11,675 Points
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Astral Veteran 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:40 pm
I think it depends wholly on the OC. If it's a minor character that adds to the plot, I think that works better - but if it's a big important character throughout the story I don't see why they're there. <_<;  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 am
It definetly depends some OC's i have read and completely adored.  

bleak-angel

Miss Lupin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:18 pm
I don't like OC's in Harry Potter fanfiction, whether or not it is slash. The reason why I have a problem with them is that more often than not, the author can't work the character in so that the story makes sense. They're usually Mary Sues/Gary Stu's and that's a major turn-off in my opinion. I like it if the OC is a villain though.

I suppose I'm a bit hypocritical because I like making self-insert Harry Potter mangas where my friends and I go to Hogwarts. But I go to extreme measures to make sure that I am the only one who ever sees them. Now you know my dirty little secret. ninja

But back to the point: OC's are generally bad, unless the author is good enough to make them work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:08 pm
In all honesty I hate most OCs but that's cause most of them were Mary-Sues. Although I personally am guilty of writing a Slash fic with an OC in it...  

SplitDemonIdentity

WhiteLace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:08 pm
I really like the idea of Blaise with one of his random step-fathers. Some young happy-go-lucky sap who doesn't realize what he's gotten himself into. Or Fleur with another veela woman that she meets by coincidence. So, basically, I only like OCs in very particular situations.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:39 am
I read recently of a fanfiction with an OC and it was wonderful  

madgrape

Fanworks

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out