Shrimp Tank!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:26 pm
I've got all I need to set up a 10 gallon. However, I really want shrimp. Really want shimp. Anyway, does anyone have any experiences with buying shrimp and having them shipped? I'm kind of worried that if I get high losses, in combination with short life spans I might be crazy to actually do it.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:00 am
Shrimp shouldn't be all that hard to get. They are very common in the fishing trade. If you go to a local type aquarium, ie. not petsmart/petco/walmart/not specialized in fish, you can easily find cherry shrimp (tiny little red shrimp that scuttle about, probably $2 is a good price for one of them), ghost shrimp (usually used as feeders so you can buy in bulk for cheap), and the larger shrimp that are sometimes called "crayfish/crawdads."
Or "lobsters" but they're too small to be and they're freshwater. The crayfish/crawdads run around $5-8 and the "lobsters" can run you up to $25.
Well...that's just my experience with them anyways.  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:18 pm
BluDragon35
Shrimp shouldn't be all that hard to get. They are very common in the fishing trade. If you go to a local type aquarium, ie. not petsmart/petco/walmart/not specialized in fish, you can easily find cherry shrimp (tiny little red shrimp that scuttle about, probably $2 is a good price for one of them), ghost shrimp (usually used as feeders so you can buy in bulk for cheap), and the larger shrimp that are sometimes called "crayfish/crawdads."
Or "lobsters" but they're too small to be and they're freshwater. The crayfish/crawdads run around $5-8 and the "lobsters" can run you up to $25.
Well...that's just my experience with them anyways.
I might settle with them, but I don't want ghost shrimp. I've got a couple of wood shrimp already though. I've been horrified to find that the only freshwater shrimp I've been able to find around here are ghost and wood shrimp, and the wood shrimp are new. :/ The only place I'd expect I might find them (and haven't) overprices everything since all their tanks have ich and they lose a lot of their stock... Bleah. They have nice, healthy saltwater fish, I assume becuase they don't want to have to eat the cost of those.
Still, I'm thinking about checking and seeing what stores I can find in College Park (since I now have GPS navigator services [directionless]). That doesn't mean I'm hopeful though. But the blue ones that page is selling are nifty: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Then again, I just dropped more than I'm willing to admit on cellphone accessories so I might postpone or cancel my plans... I could only keep the tank for a year.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:31 am
Mmm....where do you live? Is it like a secluded part of america that has no fisheries? '.'

That blue one looks nice, but if I were to get a blue shrimp I'd go with the "Australian blue lobster" Its about 4 inches and has big pincer claws and is a very bright blue. 3nodding  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:49 pm
BluDragon35
Mmm....where do you live? Is it like a secluded part of america that has no fisheries? '.'

That blue one looks nice, but if I were to get a blue shrimp I'd go with the "Australian blue lobster" Its about 4 inches and has big pincer claws and is a very bright blue. 3nodding
No, the section of Northern Virginia that's only interested in feeder shrimp. Yeah... But I want something that won't maybe rip appart other shrimp...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:01 pm
Kansai_Gal
BluDragon35

No, the section of Northern Virginia that's only interested in feeder shrimp. Yeah... But I want something that won't maybe rip appart other shrimp...
Oooh...I see...that's a shame. sad

Hehe, yes....the whole ripping apart other living things in the tank is a big turning point for that shrimp. xp
There is a nice large shrimp out there that is fully vegetarian....but I can't think of the name....ack! Anyways, its red, gets to about 3 inches, maybe up to 5 inches, and is pretty decent. Last time I saw them they were around 8 dollars. But that doesn't help when you don't have a name, yah? xd  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:08 pm
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
BluDragon35

Oooh...I see...that's a shame. sad

Hehe, yes....the whole ripping apart other living things in the tank is a big turning point for that shrimp. xp
There is a nice large shrimp out there that is fully vegetarian....but I can't think of the name....ack! Anyways, its red, gets to about 3 inches, maybe up to 5 inches, and is pretty decent. Last time I saw them they were around 8 dollars. But that doesn't help when you don't have a name, yah? xd
I know people love their agressive fish, but it's a big thing to me not to wake up to one fish masacring the rest of the tank. I thought my wood shrimp would be OK with the loaches, but I've gotten so scared that they'll eat them (they are not too big, whereas the shrimp are fairly large) that I've decided to make a tank just for shrimp. Which is where I'm at now.
I've seen "algae eating shrimp" for about the same price. They were not pretty though, and I'm not interested in a shrimp only marginally more attractive than a ghost shrimp ($.30) for that kind of price.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:51 pm
Mmmmm.....mebbie you should think of trying out salt water? There's a bunch of shrimp for salt water and a 10 gallon salt tank is possible.....it just takes up a lot of time to maintain.  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:34 pm
BluDragon35
Mmmmm.....mebbie you should think of trying out salt water? There's a bunch of shrimp for salt water and a 10 gallon salt tank is possible.....it just takes up a lot of time to maintain.
I'm not setting up a salt water tank for under a year. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:57 pm
Kansai_Gal
BluDragon35
Hehe, you're running out of options here. xp  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:23 pm
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
BluDragon35
Hehe, you're running out of options here. xp
That's why I wanted to get shrimp shipped to me in the first place. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:22 am
by the way invert's i think in general are really cool and should be kept.
would you like a idea? a few snails 2 wood shrimp and 6 little cherry shrimp. thats a good tank to me its got collor and activity. go for it try somthing new and remeber you never out of ideas  

55G FreshWater

kage kitsune usagi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:55 pm
for freshwater shrimp ive got a few japonica amano shrimp i got from liveaquria.com ... long story about how it was 'economical' id be happy to share if anyone bothers to listen... but anyway they get along fine with my fish... they are actual 'shrimp' shrimps not crayfish which will eat the fish in your tank(depending on size)... so its best if u get it a goldfish bowl if u want a crayfish... (they dont need pumps or a heater...  
----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games