Rubber Ducky is better!
View Results

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:34 pm
I was re-reading the first anthology the just now, and I was wondering if anyone else had read them? I, personnaly, don't usually like anthologies since I always want to know more, but I liked Firebirds and Firebirds Rising.
Anyone else?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:05 pm
I think I looked at it, but never got around to getting it. Are either of them worth it? I generally don't like anthologies, because I almost never know the authors in them, but sometimes I'll get one.  

NightIntent
Captain

Kai Errant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:06 pm
I own the first one, but I still have yet to get around to reading it. It's about #20 on my list of SF/F books I have and need to read. I did read Garth Nix's The Hope Chest in his short story anthology, and I thought it was one of the weaker stories in the book (though entertaining in its own way). Not that I don't think I'll like Firebirds; I just need to finish all of my school stuff before I get into another of my fantasies.

I also recently got Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy. A lot of those are good, I thought.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:58 pm
I saw the book Firebirds once and thought it looked interesting. But I didn't realize it was an anthology.

I'd like to know is it any good?  

Meithanos

Lainy122

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:54 pm
I love anthologies because I love short stories, but they can be very frustrating. Sometimes the story is so good, you want it to continue! On the other hand, fantasy anthologies tend to contain authors that don't really want to deviate from whatever universe they created in their own series, and just write an extention of it.

Which is great, if you like the universe. But if you're not familiar with it, it can be quite annoying.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:49 am
NightIntent
I think I looked at it, but never got around to getting it. Are either of them worth it? I generally don't like anthologies, because I almost never know the authors in them, but sometimes I'll get one.

Mm, I certainly thought so. They've got authors like Tamora Peirce, Lloyd Alexander, Garth Nix, I think Holly Black too. And others! I can't remember them all...But I found that both of them were well worth the read.  

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:10 pm
I loved Firebirds! Espically the story with the cats and sphinx.... what was it called again?

if you enjot anthologies, any and all anthologies edited by Dennise Little are worth reading.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games