Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Hugh Laurie and other Great British Actors Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:54 pm
ficklefiend
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I will not praise Fry's acting skill...purely because I judge actors on the part they play, not how well they play it.

I hated Oscar Wilde.

What?

Owen, that's not the only role he ever played.

I think you're underestimating quite how much I hate that film.

More so than I love Blackadder? Quite possible.

Why such hate?

Yeah, I've been wanting to get that one recently..what's wrong with it?

By the end of it I wanted him to be sentenced to life hard labour in a rifle testing lab. I hate films that try to make me feel sorry for lecherous bastards.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 pm
Invictus_88
Panthino the Moth
I use Stephen Fry's autograph as a bookmark. dramallama

I'm sure that's a sin somewhere. The internationally suppressed Book of Brit, I suspect.

Edit: I just found myself thinking angrily "Don't tell me what I can and can't do in my own bloody guild." when told I can't reply until a full minute has passed.

Dictatorial tendancies shining through? twisted

EDIT, MUCH LATER: that made so much more sense at 1am, I swear.

Panthino the Moth

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:38 pm
and_solo_said
ficklefiend
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I will not praise Fry's acting skill...purely because I judge actors on the part they play, not how well they play it.

I hated Oscar Wilde.

What?

Owen, that's not the only role he ever played.

Why such hate?

By the end of it I wanted him to be sentanced to life hard labour in a rifle testing lab. I hate films that try to make me feel sorry for lecherous bastards.

The militant puritan is a life-form only marginally above a snail, and for all that it leaves a nastier trail.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:17 pm
Maggie Smith. Incomparable.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:10 pm
Invictus_88
The militant puritan is a life-form only marginally above a snail, and for all that it leaves a nastier trail.

Oh, that reminds me of that episode of Batman [the cartoon] where that loser accidentally "kills" Batman and the Joker hosts a memorial. I don't remember it all, but I remember part of the Joker's eulogy, where he accuses Batman's "killer" of being a monopod of some variety who "only got lucky when Batman slipped on the trail of slime he left in his wake". You know, then he taped a kick-me sign to Batman's cape and put it in the coffin. Or did that come first?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:12 am
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
ficklefiend
Invictus_88
and_solo_said

Why such hate?

By the end of it I wanted him to be sentanced to life hard labour in a rifle testing lab. I hate films that try to make me feel sorry for lecherous bastards.

I would have understood a couple of affairs with some other gays in a furtive act against the constraints of society...but why the orgies and prostitutes?

Surely you don't have to be Cromwell to take issue with that.

and_solo_said

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:10 pm
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
ficklefiend
Invictus_88
and_solo_said

Why such hate?

I would have understood a couple of affairs with some other gays in a furtive act against the constraints of society...but why the orgies and prostitutes?

You have to be half-Cromwell, and that's rather too much.

Why is it so problematic. What do you think prostitutes are for? I mean, come now, I'm sure they'd sooner a glitzy orgy than a seedy b*****b behind a bar. Everyone was willing.

A man and his orgies, over a century ago, is enough to incite you to hatred?

That indicates an error in your reasoning, not an error in his morality.

It's hardly genocide.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:15 pm
Rufus Sewell.

His was a thoroughly admirable performance as Petruchio in the BBC ShakespeaRetold adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew, and having seen him earlier this evening narrating Simon Armitage's "Out of the Blue" on Channel Five I am convinced of his merit as a great and much under-sold actor.

He has a talent for the different shades of madness, I like that a lot.

Invictus_88
Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:11 pm
and_solo_said

I served a prostitute in the bar today. Very nice girl actually, she helped me with my crossword. Shame about the leery old man buying her drink.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:53 am
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
ficklefiend

You have to be half-Cromwell, and that's rather too much.

Why is it so problematic. What do you think prostitutes are for? I mean, come now, I'm sure they'd sooner a glitzy orgy than a seedy b*****b behind a bar. Everyone was willing.

A man and his orgies, over a century ago, is enough to incite you to hatred?

That indicates an error in your reasoning, not an error in his morality.

It's hardly genocide.

I don't give a rats arse what he did, I just don't feel I should have sympathy for him at the end.

Besides, I am not concerned at all with what happened a century ago. The magic of cinema brought it to the present. stare

and_solo_said

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:54 am
ficklefiend
and_solo_said

I served a prostitute in the bar today. Very nice girl actually, she helped me with my crossword. Shame about the leery old man buying her drink.

I vaguely knew a prostitute a few years ago...didn't seem any worse than the next person, but that is not the point.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:46 pm
Yes, a huge fan. And of Rowan Atkinson, and dozens of others.  

Lord_Cochrane

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces