An Odd Disposition Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:03 pm
"Goth" has been a fad as long as it's been legitimate, really. Ever since the culture's beginnings in the late 70's, there have been people who have imitated the style for purposes of attention (from the mainstream), acceptance (in the goth culture), and individuality (seperate from the mainstream).

Is it good that goth (or false-goth) is a fad?

Yes, and no.

It largely is responsible for the spread of stereotypes, such as that "goth is a phase" "goth is a trend" "goths are anti-social" "goths are asses" "all goths listen to Marilyn Manson" etcetera. These false goths (who are just following the trend) are carry the anti-goth disease, spreading it to the mainstream; oblivious to the fact that they are not goth, and that they are not helping the goth culture by talking about it.

On the other hand, as the fad grows larger, more and more people have been introduced to the real goth culture, and more people are becoming legitimate goths. As false-goths (mallgoths, M&M's, skin goths, kinder goths, whatever you'll call them) spread their idiocy, many members of the goth culture have had opportunities to speak out against these stereotypes. Voltaire, for example, was interviewed on CSNBC (if memory serves, it was that channel) on "what is goth" after a murder spree was declared "goth murder madness".  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:06 pm
K.A.S.T
I think people that do that are preppy posers and they should die. stare

Just because someone isn't a goth doesn't mean that they're a prep, nor does it mean that they're a bad person. Most false-goths (mallgoths, M&M's, skin goths, kinder goths, whatever you'll call them) think that they really are goths, but don't know any better.

In short, you shouldn't demonize their ignorance of the goth culture as spite of it.  

GilAskan
Crew

Genica Pussywillow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:16 pm
Lexiegirl
I definatly think the reall gothic culture that we probably all partake in could not be copied by posers. You don't become gothic. You are either born gothic or raised in the terms which turn us out to become gothic. I don't think one can simply BECOME gothic, but they can dress in gothic clothes and pose as one. But deep down, it's easy to tell who the posers are who just want to freak their parents out or like the clothes.

Well, what makes one gothic, then?
I always thought it was the music and the style ofdress. Or upbeat goths would be like an oxymoron neutral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:29 pm
i know a girl who is exactly like this. she started hanging out with different people, was wearing all black all the time and such. she tried to dye her hair black with temporary dye and it turned purple on her [ she's naturally blonde ].

now she's wearing colour and dressing all preppy. it really annoys me as well.

and, the fact that she stole my style of dressing loli-goth/victorian irritates me greatly. she had many of the exact pieces of clothing that i own. >:[

....i just want to slit her throat. anyway, that's the poseur goth that many people find irritating. the good thing is, that at my school, no one really cares what you are. at least that's all i've ever seen.

[ Die Katze ]

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:04 pm
GilAskan
"Goth" has been a fad as long as it's been legitimate, really. Ever since the culture's beginnings in the late 70's, there have been people who have imitated the style for purposes of attention (from the mainstream), acceptance (in the goth culture), and individuality (seperate from the mainstream).

Is it good that goth (or false-goth) is a fad?

Yes, and no.

It largely is responsible for the spread of stereotypes, such as that "goth is a phase" "goth is a trend" "goths are anti-social" "goths are asses" "all goths listen to Marilyn Manson" etcetera. These false goths (who are just following the trend) are carry the anti-goth disease, spreading it to the mainstream; oblivious to the fact that they are not goth, and that they are not helping the goth culture by talking about it.

On the other hand, as the fad grows larger, more and more people have been introduced to the real goth culture, and more people are becoming legitimate goths. As false-goths (mallgoths, M&M's, skin goths, kinder goths, whatever you'll call them) spread their idiocy, many members of the goth culture have had opportunities to speak out against these stereotypes. Voltaire, for example, was interviewed on CSNBC (if memory serves, it was that channel) on "what is goth" after a murder spree was declared "goth murder madness".

True... also I thin one thing that needs to be added to the list of why people enter fad-goth is because they do see the darkness in it, but maybe don't see it in the light that we do. What I mean is, that most people are attracted to dark things some just a. won't admit it b. don't realize it...Couldn't this be another reason for them to be fad-goth?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:15 am
InuKaeba_the_dark_one
eww,they all should just die.

Hahah they are no different then you..you saying they should die is no worse then the elder goth crowd calling you a poser or the jocks making fun of you..be weary of how you treat people xD  

XxBloodyXWristxX

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces