Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Jediism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:50 am
The prime defining characteristic of NEOpaganism (yes, the Neo is important here) you'll find it most sources is that it is both a reconstruction of old Pagan practices and is therefore nature based as well. As old Pagan practices *were* nature based, that part is real critical. By nature based, it means that deities and such are inspired by nature or there is nature worship/honoring involved in some way. As such, Neopaganism is typically pantheistic, animistic, and/or polytheistic. This stands in contrast to the dominant Western religions, which do not honor nature and see their deities as seperate from nature. Satanism as well is neither based around nature nor is a Pagan reconstruction so it isn't Neopaganism.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:06 am
Starlock
The prime defining characteristic of NEOpaganism (yes, the Neo is important here) you'll find it most sources is that it is both a reconstruction of old Pagan practices and is therefore nature based as well.
Asatru is a Recon faith but not nature based. Could you pass a source for this definition? I'm curious.
Quote:
As old Pagan practices *were* nature based, that part is real critical. By nature based, it means that deities and such are inspired by nature or there is nature worship/honoring involved in some way.
I disagree with this. I think there is a large amount of paganism that was strongly sky based- dealing with the realms of spirits and otherworlds with little spiritual focus on the physical reality of crops and seasons. The Kabalistic and Domari faiths attest to this in many ways.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:00 pm
It's really kind of funny how hard it is to come up with a good definition for paganism and Neopaganism. You either end up saying things like "it's any nature-based reconstructionist religion that is polytheistic, pantheistic, or animistic" in which Tea raises her hand and goes "but...and what are your sources?" or you qualify it as what it's not, i.e. it's not Judeo-Christian or Islamic--but Buddhists wouldn't say they were pagan, nor would Unitarians. Does the Jedi way qualify as Neopagan because of the Force or is it disqualified because its origins are in futuristic movies about alien worlds? Do followers of the Jedi path even want to be called pagan? We've got definition problems out the wazoo.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:45 am
The joys of a "self identifier" eh?  

TeaDidikai

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:12 am
TheDisreputableDog
..... Does the Jedi way qualify as Neopagan because of the Force or is it disqualified because its origins are in futuristic movies about alien worlds? Do followers of the Jedi path even want to be called pagan? We've got definition problems out the wazoo.

That's an interesting question you'd have to put forth to the Jedi out there. Do they want to be called Pagan, or can we just leave them as followers of the Jedi way and leave it at that? I wouldn't say that the Jedi way is disqualified because of its origins, but for many it will throw the entire faith into question. Is it valid because its' from movies? What about all the avalonian Pagans (or whatever) who only started because of what they found in all those Mists of Avalon books? I mean honestly... stare Although *I* can't stand the idea, it doesnt' mean its any less valid of a Path.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:46 pm
Lol, I can't think of one Jedi who would identify themselves as pagan because they chose to follow that path... there are a lot of Jedi who also happen to be pagan, but I know that the majority of the community at least do not consider the Jedi path in itself to be pagan...  

Jasta

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:46 am
It's kinda like how not all witches are pagans, but there are a lot of pagan witches. Interesting. I wouldnt' say that Jedi are pagans. I'd say that the Jedi way is more of a philosophy and way of life than a religious choice or path, even though they venerate the Force and recognize it as some sort of higher power. Belief in a unifying and/or higher power doesn't automatically make you Pagan. For example:

PaganPrideWebsite
A Pagan or NeoPagan is someone who self-identifies as a Pagan, and whose spiritual or religious practice or belief fits into one or more of the following categories:

Honoring, revering, or worshipping a Deity or Deities found in pre-Christian, classical, aboriginal, or tribal mythology;
and/or Practicing religion or spirituality based upon shamanism, shamanic, or magickal practices;
and/or Creating new religion based on past Pagan religions and/or futuristic views of society, community, and/or ecology;
and/or Focusing religious or spiritual attention primarily on the Divine Feminine.

(bolding is mine)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:25 pm
The big problem I see with the "self identifer" aspect (by the way, that cite is not the end all be all of the defination)- is that to the rest of the universe- to the historical nature of the word, to the majority of the population, it isn't a "self identifer".  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:39 pm
Ah, it's to be expected for the definition to shift and change over time, especially where religious terminology is concerned. As more scholars pay attention to Paganism and its various forms (from ancient to modern) more defining characteristics will be teased out of the framework. When the academia gets laid down more, it won't be seen as much as a self-identifying term. I personally don't see at as a 100% self-identifying term as it is... otherwise it becomes as meaningless as the term "Wicca" has become in some circles.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:10 pm
Oh! Yeah - okay I admit - I'm a Star Wars nerd so...my religion...well mostly involves me being a dedicant to Wicca with Jediism mixed in...I'd consider it pagan personally but maybe that's just because I found Wicca initially because of Jediism. It's actually likely that I'm wrong.  

Dokt0rGunn

Tipsy Codger

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers