Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Star Trek XI

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GaelicGirl09

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:20 pm
For those who don't know, J.J. Abrams is directing a new Star Trek movie set to come out in 2008. Rumors are going around that it will be the Kirk and Spock early years at Starfleet Academy. Matt Damon is rumored to be playing the young James Kirk.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:34 pm
MATT DAMON?!?!?!

gonk *goes into depressed Darth Vader mode* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  

Andy Magnuseth

TPila

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:39 pm
GaelicGirl09
For those who don't know, J.J. Abrams is directing a new Star Trek movie set to come out in 2008. Rumors are going around that it will be the Kirk and Spock early years at Starfleet Academy. Matt Damon is rumored to be playing the young James Kirk.

Really? Wow! I've always wanted them to do something based on the academy days of our beloved galactic heroes.... I actually don't think Matt Damon as Kirk would be such a bad thing....  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:36 pm
i think it is kind of a dumb idea of making a movie about young kirk and spock. there was the possibility of intoducing a new crew which would have been better. i personally think that if they wanted to do young kirk and spock they should have done it first. it should however be interesting to see another trek movie.  

GaelicGirl09

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:55 pm
If they do this,
it will be the first time a movie or series appeared as a comic-book first.
"Starfleet Academy" ran in the 90s, during Nog's time on campus.

I know, different students, but you get my point, don't you?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:47 pm
Steel Sterling
If they do this,
it will be the first time a movie or series appeared as a comic-book first.
"Starfleet Academy" ran in the 90s, during Nog's time on campus.

I know, different students, but you get my point, don't you?

There was also a comic series about Kirk's academy days.  

TPila

Ken5hachan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:23 am
Please reffer to this month's issue of Star Trek magazine.
The following information is from page 8, under the headline of the article "Blank Slate", which states that the New films producers deny the recasting of Kirk an Spock characters.
"they (producers) say the film will not be recreating the (original) series in the way Battlestar Galactica has been re-imagined, but instead will be extrapolating on events in the Star Trek franchise as it currently exists."

In response to the reboot, Abrams himself said, "This is not a case of coming in and being so clever that you're going to reinvent everything. It's a case of coming in and using the stuff you know is great... not violating anything that's come before it. Being involved with a series that has a passionate and vocal following makes me incredibly sympathetic. They (the fans) have put up with so many incarnations along the way. These fans are a smart bunch. They are an intelligent group. We are very respectful and we have no intention of subverting the material."  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:23 pm
In other words,

"Ok, we accept that 'Enterprise' failed because it alienated its core
audience by treating the continuity the same way a dog treats a fireplug.
Rick Berman is not allowed to touch this one. We'll try not to do that
again."  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100

Nuri66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:23 pm
Steel Sterling
In other words,

"Ok, we accept that 'Enterprise' failed because it alienated its core
audience by treating the continuity the same way a dog treats a fireplug.
Rick Berman is not allowed to touch this one. We'll try not to do that
again."
That's bull. He did several other series. Like Deep Space Nine.
I'd have to blame the script writers for "enterprise's" failure.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:39 pm
Honestly, I'm a little scared of J.J. Abrams taking control of the newest Star Trek movie. I don't think Lost is as compelling as it once was, and certainly lacks character development. I'm afraid that if he uses existing characters, he'll bastardize them somehow. Or, if he creates all new Star Trek characters, they won't be true to the spirit of Star Trek. I like it when movies try to tell a story rather than try to be blockbuster hits. And Abrams is certainly a "Let's make a blockbuster" guy.

I heard that Berman was cool for a while, but went cuckoo towards the end of DS9. ninja Didn't Avery Brooks say he refused to work with Berman ever again? And that's why they've never even considered a DS9-centric movie? I thought I read that somewhere...  

Lindira
Crew

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:42 pm
Lindira
Honestly, I'm a little scared of J.J. Abrams taking control of the newest Star Trek movie. I don't think Lost is as compelling as it once was, and certainly lacks character development. I'm afraid that if he uses existing characters, he'll bastardize them somehow. Or, if he creates all new Star Trek characters, they won't be true to the spirit of Star Trek. I like it when movies try to tell a story rather than try to be blockbuster hits. And Abrams is certainly a "Let's make a blockbuster" guy.

I heard that Berman was cool for a while, but went cuckoo towards the end of DS9. ninja Didn't Avery Brooks say he refused to work with Berman ever again? And that's why they've never even considered a DS9-centric movie? I thought I read that somewhere...

That's what I heard, too.

And when Enterprise was in development, different people had different
sound-bytes on the process. Rick Berman came right out and said that
he did not consider continuity important for this series.
Now, for costumes and special effects, that's understandable and
forgiveable-the original series was limited to a small budget and the
special effects of their time.
For history and events, it's a HUGE deal because there's an entire saga
in place already. I heard old-school fans announce they weren't touching
this one with a 10-foot pole as a result of the ignored continuity.
And the early episode scripts suffered for it, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:04 pm
Quote:
Matt Damon is rumored to be playing the young James Kirk.

WTF?!?!?! On top of the fact that makes me puke (and I hope to God that Gene Rodenburry spins in his grave if so) But I'm so sick and so ******** tired of these damn prequils! I want post Nemesis stuff damnit! Hell, I'd even settle for pre-Nemesis stuff. Aka, post Voyager stuff... what happened to Voyager right after its return.

Damn it!  

MagnusHansen

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:23 pm
MagnusHansen
Quote:
Matt Damon is rumored to be playing the young James Kirk.

WTF?!?!?! On top of the fact that makes me puke (and I hope to God that Gene Rodenburry spins in his grave if so) But I'm so sick and so ******** tired of these damn prequils! I want post Nemesis stuff damnit! Hell, I'd even settle for pre-Nemesis stuff. Aka, post Voyager stuff... what happened to Voyager right after its return.

Damn it!

So do I, but as Phil Farrand pointed out, there's "short script syndrome."
The technology is so advanced, a lot of problems can be solved fast,
and not fill an episode. Doyle had the same problem with writing full
Sherlock Holmes novels-Holmes solved ANYTHING in a short-story space.

Example:
A Galaxy-class ship is invaded by attempted pirates.
"Seal off all decks, and begin filling the corridors with anaesthezine gas."  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 am
Yeah, I heard about that way long time ago! xd But anyways, yeah, I really don't have a problem with that theme, EXCEPT that (obviously) they won't have William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy as Kirk and Spock! That just doesn't seem right.  

Odin Von Dursfel

Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff