Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Spirit Guides

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:05 am
I'm a bit curious what people around here think of spirit guides, what they view them to be, their exact reason for being spirit guides, etc.

My main reason for this is my own curiocity, born from what limited dealing I've managed to have with my own. I can't conclusively say much about him/her, even gender or name. I call "him" Arrow, as I became aware of "his" existance after playing with an obsidian arrowhead I had, which was almost certainly NOT a part of anything that had ever been an arrow.

When I inquire as to name and gender of him, he gives me a generel response of "Exactly why do those matter? As long as the advice I give make sense and works, does it matter what or who I am?". I get the genrel sense that he (I use male pronouns for simplicity; that and I find "it" disrespectful") thinks my curiocity on that sort of thing is really really amusing.

In any event, I'm sorta of at a loss on exactly how to work with him; my ADHD makes it really hard to seperate my own racing thoughts from his messages, and sometimes I'm not sure where either of them begin or end.

Suggestions would be helpful, but I really eager to just here people's beliefs and ideas on this subject.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:23 am
Kuroiban
I'm a bit curious what people around here think of spirit guides, what they view them to be, their exact reason for being spirit guides, etc.

My main reason for this is my own curiocity, born from what limited dealing I've managed to have with my own. I can't conclusively say much about him/her, even gender or name. I call "him" Arrow, as I became aware of "his" existance after playing with an obsidian arrowhead I had, which was almost certainly NOT a part of anything that had ever been an arrow.

When I inquire as to name and gender of him, he gives me a generel response of "Exactly why do those matter? As long as the advice I give make sense and works, does it matter what or who I am?". I get the genrel sense that he (I use male pronouns for simplicity; that and I find "it" disrespectful") thinks my curiocity on that sort of thing is really really amusing.

In any event, I'm sorta of at a loss on exactly how to work with him; my ADHD makes it really hard to seperate my own racing thoughts from his messages, and sometimes I'm not sure where either of them begin or end.

Suggestions would be helpful, but I really eager to just here people's beliefs and ideas on this subject.

I challenged mine.
I'd have turned around and said "They matter because they matter"  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:48 am
Kuroiban

They're helpful when you're stuck and you need someone to turn to for guidance. Thus the 'guide' part of it. They don't do the work for you, but can give a point in a helpful direction.

As for whether it's real or not, I'll go with reagun in saying challenge them. If they're not up to a challenge you shouldn't be working with them in the first place. Over time with working with them you get to recognise their voice - what's yours and what's theirs - and can act with discretion. It's just at the beginning you'll need to make sure you're not deluding yourself.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:08 am
From the scientific/psychological standpoint, certain manifestations of spirit guides could be interpreted as dissociative identity disorder or something similar (or simply as "imaginary friends"). Belief in such things wouldn't neccesarily qualify as a disorder, however, unless the belief is signifigantly infringing upon the well being of the believer and those around the believer. Given that, even IF spirit guides and the like are "delusions," if no signifigant harm is being done, sometimes these beliefs can be quite helpful. I always like to bear in mind the scientific alternatives like this, though I don't believe that science can near explain every aspect of reality. Science is particularily ill-equiped to deal with aspects of reality commonly not considered "reality" such as the Otherworlds. Too bad that Western culture generally has such a limited conception of reality... if you can't detect it with your five senses, it often isn't regarded as "real." Ironic, given that ideas, which are nonsensual, are among the most powerful forces in human history...

(stops self before going on massive tangent about the nature of reality)  

Starlock

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:28 pm
reagun ban

I challenged mine.
I'd have turned around and said "They matter because they matter"

I took your advice on that reagun, and had a bit of a conversation with my spirit guide.

First thing I went down to was asked her (note the pronoun is unquoted, and is no longer masculine) why she was reluctant/refusing to give me a name. Her reason on the name was fairly strait foreward; she was here to help. Help me find my way, help me find my path, and assist me in understanding and comprehending that which I didn't know. What did a name matter? At one point I called her Obsidian...I tried feeling around for a better name and came up with Arrow...which she seems to like much better. That's good enough for me.

The gender thing was much more curious. I questioned her on this (back when I still wasn't sure exactly what she was) and got a bit of a curioius answer.

I'm not a mysognist by any streach of the imagination. However, to say that men and women are equal in every way is silliness. Each gender excells at some things, and tends to struggle in others. These aren't hard and fast rules, but tendencies. THis is my opinion, your milage may very.

Also (and some may consider this TMI), but I have a BDSM realtionship with my girlfriend/slave. It's fully consential, sane, and safe...but it can leave some people with the distinct impression that I am a male, chauvenistic pig.

She said she didn't want to have her gender get in the way of what she's trying to say. If she is neither male nor female, from my view point, I can't have any of the biases on anything, one way or the other. I'd have to view everything she says from a very strait, unhindered angle.

I managed to eventually work it out of her. I still don't have a name, but I'm not very concearned about it; she's got a fairly good point.

THe other big question I asked was if she was a spirit in the truest sense, or more of thought-form. She thought about it for awhile, and said I wasn't ready to know that just yet; I woudn't trust what I heard...one way or the other. And she was right; either way I would have questioned wether what I was saying was true or just what I wanted to be the truth.

So that's how it went. As for concearns with ADHD, I had the conversation during a drive to a friend's house today, when I was the driver and the only one in the car; the act of driving gave me enough to keep my mind semi-occupied so I didn't loose my train of thought to much and managed to hear what Arrow was saying.

The fact that I was in the car alone allowed me to talk to Arrow out loud without making anyone think that I had gone completely insane.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:21 pm
There are more than one type of spirit guides.

The Gatekeeper. Which is the guide who decides which spirits are let in.

The joy guide. Sometimes there are more than one of these. They are what thier generic name implies.

There are the teacher guides.

There are also Protectors. These generally go hand in hand with the Gatekeeper, but are also generally more active.

There are many others, but those are the four basic types. There is also spirits from passed loved ones, even generation wise.

Hope that helps.  

jaden kendam

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:42 pm
deadmanjake

The joy guide. Sometimes there are more than one of these. They are what thier generic name implies.

There are also Protectors. These generally go hand in hand with the Gatekeeper, but are also generally more active.

There are many others, but those are the four basic types. There is also spirits from passed loved ones, even generation wise.

Hope that helps.

Where can I look to get more information on this vein?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 pm
blindfaith^_^
deadmanjake

Hope that helps.

Where can I look to get more information on this vein?

You can look in books about spirit guides, though many of them were written by fluffy bunnies. Off the top of my head, I am not sure as to which book was written by what, but I will be in a Spiritualist camp next Friday, hopefully, so maybe I can find the names of the books that would help you. You will have to remind me though.  

jaden kendam

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:03 am
deadmanjake
You can look in books about spirit guides, though many of them were written by fluffy bunnies. Off the top of my head, I am not sure as to which book was written by what, but I will be in a Spiritualist camp next Friday, hopefully, so maybe I can find the names of the books that would help you. You will have to remind me though.

Cool will do then 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff