Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
'Malevolent' Gods Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:45 am
Triste-chan
If you're refering to asura, then I would say that they aren't necessarily evil in the sense that western demons are. Or such is my understanding.
true. i don't know if i was thinking in terms of western thought that demons are associated with...hmm, oh well.

Elfin Brill
wikiwikiwikiwiki
Mars was the Roman god of war, the son of Juno and either Jupiter or a magical flower. As the word Mars has no Indo-European derivation, it is most likely the Latinized form of the agricultural Etruscan god Maris. Initially the Roman god of fertility and vegetation and a protector of cattle, fields and boundaries, Mars later became associated with battle (perhaps as the growing Roman Empire found it necessary to expand in order to feed itself) and identified with the Greek god Ares. He was also a tutelary god of Rome, and as the legendary father of its founder, Romulus, it was believed that all Romans were descended of Mars.
[Cite]
i'd be hesitant regarding the coupling. with pre-Hellenic Roman gods, there didn't seem to be too much coupling. when they adopted many of the Greek ways, gods that were never seen together were now 'married'...i believe Juno and Jupiter might be one of those 'marriages'...back to Pagan Europe for me!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:45 am
Being a divinity does not exempt one from being scum.
It's just a different race of scum... far more powerful...

In some faiths, there are dieties with specific dominion over Evil, as a concept.
I know how much some people hate the God of this that or the other routine... but it has and does happen.
In fact, in at least one faith... all that is good falls under one divinity's dominion, and all that is evil, the other... ninja  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:47 pm
Fiddlers Green

I know how much some people hate the God of this that or the other routine... but it has and does happen.
Only when it is inaccurate.
We all know how much Deo loves to hear Freya is a Moon Goddess.

Quote:
In fact, in at least one faith... all that is good falls under one divinity's dominion, and all that is evil, the other... ninja
~petpetpet~  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:15 pm
Of course, the ascribing of good and evil was something of an afterthought... beneficient and malevolent may be more accurate descriptors. ninja  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 pm
Fiddlers Green
Of course, the ascribing of good and evil was something of an afterthought... beneficient and malevolent may be more accurate descriptors. ninja
Hmmmmm...

Query- do you universally hold Malevolent to be Evil?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:59 pm
TeaDidikai
Hmmmmm...

No, not exactly... it's very hard to describe the subtle difference...
Malevolence indicates a desire to or a purpose to harm... evil does not need something to harm... they are very close (from a human perspective) concepts, but entirely interchangeable.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:23 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai
Hmmmmm...

No, not exactly... it's very hard to describe the subtle difference...
Malevolence indicates a desire to or a purpose to harm... evil does not need something to harm... they are very close (from a human perspective) concepts, but entirely interchangeable.
Then is he a god of malevolence or a god of evil?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:25 pm
TeaDidikai

I think it is easiest to say he/she/it is an Evil God of Malevolence (and cold, and darkness, and fear, and anger, and violence, and night, and death, and secrets, and mysteries, and the subterranean world, and... ad 1/2 of infinitum). 3nodding  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:02 am
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

I think it is easiest to say he/she/it is an Evil God of Malevolence (and cold, and darkness, and fear, and anger, and violence, and night, and death, and secrets, and mysteries, and the subterranean world, and... ad 1/2 of infinitum). 3nodding
Perhaps the best discription of "it" I have ever read  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:19 am
TeaDidikai
Perhaps the best discription of "it" I have ever read

I truely do wish English had a gender neutral pronoun which didn't tend to indicate an object. confused  

Fiddlers Green

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces