Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Merits and Flaws of Group Ritual

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:06 am
(aka- Why Tea does not play well with others.)

Merit: Many hands make light work.

This is an extension of the real world application of effort over resistance to create change. A group of talented individuals can have moving Spiritual experiences that speak to both the intellectual and the emotional/spiritual perceptions of the individual in question.

Flaw: Too many cooks spoil the soup.

To be more accurate, it is better to say that any number of incompetent cooks can spoil the soup. Where there is conflict, there can be distraction. Where there is distraction- errors can be made. Either through the unintentional splitting of focus or through passive unconscious resistance to the group or individual in question.

Merit: Shared Experience.

There is something amazing about having your personal non-falsifiable experience confirmed by an external source.

Flaw: Directly Conflicting Paradigms.

Even the best of friends can have conflict. But when that conflict is on the nature of what you are doing, and causes a point of contention- issues can and do arise. Further- some things get lost in translation. When you come across one person who refuses to use “circles” and one person that requires them…  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:29 am
I have always been curious to work in a group situation when it comes to any spiritual/magical endeavors. But as it stands, I have only worked with my sister. And that was two rites going on at the same time, in the same space, but in different circles. It was an exhilerating experience though.

I think if I were to enter a group rite of sorts... I would have to trust every individual implicitly. I'm not sure it would work. I'm a bit of an anti-social type. Being around people can be so exhausting.

I have had a few oppurtunities to join group circle work here in the City, but I am (Like I said above), kind of anti-social, and I don't mix well with strangers.. I tend to just get irritable and tired. I think that would be very counterproductive. But still, I imagine the experience is important for me, and will probably occur one day.  

VisasMarr

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:24 am
TeaDidikai
Flaw: Directly Conflicting Paradigms.

Even the best of friends can have conflict. But when that conflict is on the nature of what you are doing, and causes a point of contention- issues can and do arise. Further- some things get lost in translation. When you come across one person who refuses to use “circles” and one person that requires them…
Though this could be countered by group ritual situations where everyone belongs to the same tradition and practises the same way, like in specific Wiccan Covens.

Of course there will always be discrepencies in personality, but at least they would all probably practise the same way.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:27 pm
Professional detachement can help minimize any personal grievances affecting the ritual... unles the ritual requires emotional investment and intesity...
Then it becomes a different story.

As far as conflicting paradigms, the details should be hammered out between all perspective participants before the ritual begins, so either compromise cn be reached, or so that the group can be trimmed down. 3nodding  

Fiddlers Green

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:01 pm
Merit: People with greater experience and skills to learn from in exchange for helping those with lesser experience and skills.

Flaw: -DRAMA-

Merit: Other brains there to bounce ideas off of or to suggest other ways of doing things.

Flaw: Other brains there that can object enough to your ways to want to suggest other ways of doing things. (Similar to the conflicting paradigms idea, but less about the actual ritual actions, since Tradition can level the playing field, and more about goals or desired outcome of Work.)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:14 am
TeaDidikai

Merit: Many hands make light work.

Ah, the psychologist in me just has to respond to this one. There's a well-reaserched phenomena called "social loafing" that shows the more people you have in a task, the less effort each individual puts into it. So to format it per the OP...

Flaw: many hands makes for social loafing thus less personal engagement and spiritual fulfillment

There's ways to avoid social loafing, to be sure. Not so sure if many practicing covens actually use these methods to combat the group laziness phenomena though. It may be the nature of ecstatic ritual experience that social loafing isn't a big problem. From the experiences I've had though, this doesn't seem to be the case. xd

Kudzu had some good additions to the list as well... I'd put "drama" pretty high on the list of flaws. Heh. Close-knit pseudo-cultic groups tend to be particularily prone to this sort of thing. Well-managed and organized congregations can avoid some of the worst of it, but well-managed and organized Neopagan congregations are difficult to come by.  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:52 pm
Starlock

Flaw: many hands makes for social loafing thus less personal engagement and spiritual fulfillment

There's ways to avoid social loafing, to be sure. Not so sure if many practicing covens actually use these methods to combat the group laziness phenomena though. It may be the nature of ecstatic ritual experience that social loafing isn't a big problem. From the experiences I've had though, this doesn't seem to be the case. xd

I contest that there is less personal fulfillment in well practiced group ritual.

Some people actually don't want to overexpend effort. "Social Loafing" is a good thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 am
TeaDidikai
Starlock

I contest that there is less personal fulfillment in well practiced group ritual.

Some people actually don't want to overexpend effort. "Social Loafing" is a good thing.

It can be a good thing, but it isn't always. I wasn't making the commentary under the assumption that it holds absolutely true in all cases, ya know. whee However, can you say that when doing group projects at school you don't get the least bit annoyed that you're hauling most of the work and everyone else is along for the ride and free "A" grade? Or perhaps you've not had that experience... (shrugs) and true, something like ritual is a bit different. Some don't mind taking charge and leading everything, but I've heard stories of groups whose leaders have gotten very frustrated and burned out because nobody else would volunteer to do any of the work (and then they'd complain they didn't like the ritual.. as if they have a right to complain when they're idle with respect to its design, eh?). It's sad to see a group fall apart because of something like social loafing... generally the Neopagan community appears to attract those who are responsible for their own spiritual path though, so I'm not sure how common this sort of thing actually is.  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:08 am
Starlock

It can be a good thing, but it isn't always. I wasn't making the commentary under the assumption that it holds absolutely true in all cases, ya know. whee However, can you say that when doing group projects at school you don't get the least bit annoyed that you're hauling most of the work and everyone else is along for the ride and free "A" grade?
Yes. I can honestly say that actually.

Quote:
Or perhaps you've not had that experience... (shrugs) and true, something like ritual is a bit different. Some don't mind taking charge and leading everything, but I've heard stories of groups whose leaders have gotten very frustrated and burned out because nobody else would volunteer to do any of the work (and then they'd complain they didn't like the ritual.. as if they have a right to complain when they're idle with respect to its design, eh?). It's sad to see a group fall apart because of something like social loafing... generally the Neopagan community appears to attract those who are responsible for their own spiritual path though, so I'm not sure how common this sort of thing actually is.
I see. In which case I assert it is a lack of communication and not the nature of work division that is the issue.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:57 am
This recent dirrection in the discussion reminded me of This. xd
Now, as far as teamwork leading to lazy magi... well, it depends on the magi in question... for some people, yes, there is that danger, but others will merely see it as a chance to show off in front of large group, and redouble their efforts. surprised
As far as weak leaders... and lack of motivation... I personally wouldn't perform a ritual with anyone who isn't 100% committed, my technique is too demanding for anything less...
If someone hasn't the conviction to work with me, then I have no desire to risk them ninja  

Fiddlers Green

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff