Anne Rice/Amelia Atwater-Rhodes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:51 pm
I've already made my opinion about Rice known, if you don't know it, I'm sure if you hunt around a little you will be able to find it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:34 am
I enjoyed Rice's first three books and Blood and Gold (without the ridiculous ending it had, that was totally phoned in on her part. Such a lame, rushed ending). I'm also a slight book snob.

I've read Stephanie Meyer and Atwater-Rhodes. I couldn't read Rhodes past the fourth book. I ignored her horrible Mary-Sue-ing. I ignored her blatant disregard for continuity until some twentieth book in the future (I'm not going to read about shapeshifters, I'm sorry, it doesn't interest me the way she writes about them). Her story-telling skills are still fairly young. Yes, she was published at a young age. I attribute that to a possibly awesome supportive family, and having an agent or publisher with an open ear at the right place at the right time. I've met and know several people who've written novels at young ages that wrote with the same quality or better who managed to get ignored by the publishing industry, so it's just one of those things.

Meyer's story is candy-novel for me. The world is fairly well shaped, but it's still for a young audience. Hamilton's work never enticed me.

While I don't like Rice much now, I do know that I enjoyed her ability to tell a story when I did read her books. The characters were more fleshed out than Meyer's Isabella or Atwater-Rhode's ... tons of unmemorable characters. In those lights, I think Rice succeeded where the two younger women failed. Rice's background story was also very enjoyable. If she had a magnum opus, she'd argue Lestat. I'd have to disagree, and point to Queen of the Damned, where I think she writes at her best.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for my vampire epic, something that has vampires as a central part of the story without it being a sex novel, comedy (Charlaine Harris anyone?), or for 14-year-old girls.

Why do I keep on typing a ton of long posts :[  

Mina

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:44 am
I just started to read Anne Rice yesterday. I think that its pretty good so far. Originally I didnt want to read it because I thought that it would be too confusing, the wording and such, but its actually quite enjoyable.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am
Athiel
I'm Inclined to disagree on one point.
Vampires live forever, thus, it would be very hard to write what terminally Happened to lestat and Co.
Unless, of course, she kills him.

But that just wouldn't be kicking, would it?

Books with no closure bother me,though. I don't like cliff-hangers.

I actually would of of gotten the chance to meet her on Friday at the Central Library. she was giving a presentation and doing signings for her Christ the Lord series,but, her other books were also going to be sold. I found out about it after I already made plans,though, I wasn't going to give up getting blazed.  

MediaclCunt

NewAgeAntique

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:37 pm
At least Anne Rice's vampires don't turn into walking prisms... *wants to kill Stephanie Meyer a bit*
Sparkely vampires... the h**l?

Anne Rice is the only vampire writter that I actually like besides Bram Stoker. She's the only one who comes close to describing the elegance and complication of a being that is more than human and yet more like death, who used to be and remebers being human, but is forced to end human life.
Every other vampire novel I've read makes them too human. There's no elegance to these teen novel vampires. Sure, they're gracefull and strong, and beautifull, but they think like humans, they act like humans, and they're written like human characters. Anne Rice's vampires are complex, they're changing, they're completely inhuman, and they aren't innocent and childish like pre-teen heartthrob Edward and his family.

I'd like to see a showdown between Lestat and Edward Cullen. Edward wouldn't last a second.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:40 pm
oh so Extravagant...

Anne Rice has always been Christian.
:/
She isn't writing anymore in the Vampire Chronicles because she's sick and she doesn't want to pass without being able to finish the series.

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is pretty good. I admire her greatly, she was 15 when she got her first book published (around that age I believe)

User Image

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comrade

Art / Poetry / Literature - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out