Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
So... just who ARE the Lord and Lady?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:11 am
I've never noticed before, but the majority of books and websites concerning Wicca seem to focus on every aspect of Wicca except for the Lord and Lady. Even then, the Lady is focused on more in most cases.

So... I'm looking for info on the Wiccan God, his aspects and how they relate to eachother, his attributes, his roles in the religion and in the world, his images and how he appears, etc.

The Goddess I've got covered, the Moon-Goddess-MMC stuff isn't too hard to figure out. But the God is still puzzling me biggrin I'm writting an article on him so any help is most appreciated. Google hates me, so anything... books, websites, etc. would really help!

(I'm aware that a lot of info on them is oathbound, but any outer-court stuff is still appreciated ^^ )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 am
Deities of the Isles according to Gardner.

The Wiccan Lord is a bit of a sadist- but to address "aspects" is to ignore the whole.  

TeaDidikai

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:17 am
I'm not ignoring the whole, I'm just looking for a better understanding for my article sweatdrop
I hear a lot of Holly/Oak King in conjunction with the Sabbats, but also Horned God of the hunt which seems completely different from the previous two... so how those different aspects relate to eachother and how they are depicted within the single godhead is what puzzles me.
I never realised it, but when it comes to getting a clear picture of the Wiccan God, I'm a bit of a noob lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:01 am
Did't the Farrars write a book about the witches god?
Good place to start?  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:04 am
Thanks, I'll check it out whee  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:19 am
Elfin Brill
Good place to start?
It's a soft polytheistic quick ref. book for world deities with a handful of chapters on different gods.  

TeaDidikai

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:31 am
TeaDidikai
Elfin Brill
Good place to start?
It's a soft polytheistic quick ref. book for world deities with a handful of chapters on different gods.

I don't agree with a lot of things the Farrars have to say, but at least it is a better book then what Margeret Murrey has to say on the matter in her book "The witches God". User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You must admit this right? rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:07 am
Elfin Brill
TeaDidikai
Elfin Brill
Good place to start?

I don't agree with a lot of things the Farrars have to say, but at least it is a better book then what Margeret Murrey has to say on the matter in her book "The witches God". User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You must admit this right? rolleyes
I don't. And I even have a good reason.

Whatever else Murrey's problems were- she actually believed she had truth in her hands.

The Farrars published after she had been debunked on some points- and completely ignored the points of others in favor of presenting their bastardized watered down image of other people's gods as The Truth.

I am thankful that for the most part they left my gods alone.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 am
Nor will I respect anyone who cannot tell the difference between a god and a spirit.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:40 am
Well, I cannot respect someone who thinks that Jeanne D'arc was sacrificed as a year king. rolleyes  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:14 am
Elfin Brill
Well, I cannot respect someone who thinks that Jeanne D'arc was sacrificed as a year king. rolleyes
So we are in agreement, yes? cool  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:59 pm
Okay.

Much of Gardner's mythology was based off the works of Margaret Murray, Robert Graves, and Sir James George Frazer. Graves and Frazer are particularly good for information on the Lord and Lady - Graves wrote The White Goddess and Frazer wrote The Golden Bough which centers around the God. While they aren't especially historically accurate, they are pictures of the vague concept behind the Lord and Lady as individuals.

That said, while these writings are intersting background studies, especially for those interested in the history of how religions evolve, the best way to really learn about these things is to read stuff by the people who founded Wiccan. Gardner and Valiente are good. And seriously, go talk to Wiccan groups. They know things, maaan.

The Lady is a triple-natured Lunar Goddess, and the Lord is a dual-natured Solar God. Tea is right, though, in that you should think of gods as 'God of X' or 'Goddess of Y.' Looking at aspects blinds you to the reality of the whole.  

Kalyani Srijoi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:14 am
There is also a book called Witchdom of The Tru. It is basically an outline of the evolution of Norse Theology- however, the first chapter discusses a Lord and Lady Fertility cult that I always found interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:04 am
Okies, thanks.

Though I'm still trying to find clarification on the relationship between the aspects I mentioned previously. That is the part I find puzzling, and need explaining to me sweatdrop I know that focusing on aspects ignores the whole, I know... but I'm lacking an understanding of the aspects and how they "fit" together, and I want/need a clearer picture of it. That's what I'm asking.
Just like if I was asking about the Goddess, I'd be looking for the part about being "a triple Lunar Goddess with three aspects of Maiden, Mother, Crone symbolised with the moon phases, representing the three main stages of female life...etc." I need the God's equivelant whee

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:00 am
When it comes to the Non-lineaged Wiccan mythos, my understanding of the dualistic sacrificial god is as follows:

From Midwinter to Midsummer- The Oak King rules. He experiences a phase of growth, sexual initiation, and death in which he returns to the Caer Arianrhod  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games